Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 05:04 PM

12 posts, read 22,393 times

Advertisements

So I've had two interviews with a company, third later this week, but I think I've nailed it. Their headquarters is in Portland, but they are expanding to Seattle, which is why they are hiring. Sounds like I would have my choice of either city. Salary would be the same in either city (roughly $68k). I've lived in Portland before. Loved it. Have a lot of friends there, including a friend who works for this company (which is how I got the interview). I've spent next to 0 time in Seattle.

Advantages Portland: While it's rising, still has a lower cost of living than Seattle. Better public transportation. Have a friend who wants to rent a house together, so I can live in a nice house for roughly what I will have to pay for a tiny, old apartment in Seattle. Know my way around. Know a lot of people there. I'm a tree hugging Prius driving liberal so I fit right in. Average price of a decent sized townhome, for when I am ready to buy, is lower. Timbers > Sounders. Better dating ratio (as a straight, single male).

Advantages Seattle: Still a better tech scene. Probably a lot more jobs and companies for when I inevitably start job hopping to further my career, but that's at least partially countered by there being a lot more competition for the same jobs. More of a real city feel, which I like. Higher salaries in the more mid to senior level roles. Despite the average home price being higher, Seattle currently seems to actually have a lot more in the way of under $200k 'starter' homers (based on my totally unscientific research on Redfin).

And, of course, they aren't that far apart, so it's not like choosing one now would lock me out of the other, I could certainly start in Portland and then move to Seattle in a year. But I am 30, getting tired of changing cities every few years, kind of want to start settling down a bit
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 05:10 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
For 68k I would choose Portland, If you expect to only be at this company or 1-2 years then find a better paying position then Seattle will be your chose. Since both cities are so close to eachother it gives you flexibility to research for jobs in either area for the future.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:22 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
In Seattle, you don't chase the software jobs....they chase you. Literally. A long list of companies want to hire hundreds of people yesterday, or thousands. They locate in urban neighborhoods for that reason.

Portland has more trains but Seattle uses transit far more per capita, and walks to work more, both per census.gov. Some of that is the transit systems and some is Seattle's density and proximity between housing and jobs.

Portland is cheaper overall, and $68,000 would go farther there...unless living in Seattle makes it easier to not have a car, then Seattle would be more affordable.

Portland is Prius green...Seattle is not having a car green...far more sustainable. At least for a lot of people.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:06 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
Seattle no question. More tech opportunities and way better salaries. This is like seeking a job in Sacramento when you could be working in Palo Alto.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:54 PM

58 posts, read 170,427 times
I'm sure you already made your choice but in case someone else stumbles upon this thread later . . . I worked as a software dev in Portland for about four years and also briefly lived in Seattle and shopped for jobs there. For the same salary, you'd definitely want Portland, your dollar goes further there (although it's catching up to Seattle all the time).

Seattle has more jobs, but it's EXTREMELY competitive, because software devs constantly job hop. Companies won't hire just anyone, they are all competing for the same top, experienced devs, so don't mistake job openings and rabid recruiters for lots of opportunity. As a fledgling developer I had a much easier time landing jobs in Portland. I'd say start with Portland and move to Seattle when you are a big enough deal for someone to move you up there.

You said you already know people in Portland . . . That's really important because I found it difficult to meet new people in both cities, especially Seattle (hence the "Seattle Freeze"). The PNW is weirdly closed-minded and insular. Speaking of which, I hope you aren't Californian or you'll get an extra dose of ire for "raising our housing prices."

Portland is way more bikeable. I personally found the transit better too although I think they are technically pretty comparable in public transit. I knew a ton of people in Portland who lived happily without a car.

Overall I found Seattle more of a "nice to visit, not to live" city because of the traffic, high costs and difficult geography but that's just me. However if you're from a larger city or metro area Portland might be too small for you.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:39 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
But Seattle has a much larger percentage of people actually commuting by transit or on foot. Amazon says 20% of their HQ staff (totaling tens of thousands) walks to work.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:17 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
Would have to go Seattle Portland is like Seattle's little brother I lived in Seattle without a car until recently very comfortable . Seattle has Amazon , Face Book , Google and Expedia downtown pluss dozens of smaller companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City