Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

The L.A. rail plans made me curious about the rest of the country. D.C. has the purple light rail project and Atlanta has the beltline light rail project. Both will eventually circle the entire city with rail transit. I think they will be the only cities with this type of line. Are there any other cities that have similar plans in place to build rail transit circling the city connecting all the subway lines? I think every city should build these if possible, it makes traveling faster on the outskirts of the city for people going neighborhood to neighborhood versus going into downtown. Every city in America has jobs outside of downtown now and I think everybody should start thinking about rail transit that doesn't go into downtown.

D.C. Purple Line first phase

Proposed completed purple line

Atlanta's Beltline Project

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-28-2011 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM

423 posts, read 646,319 times
lmaooooooooooo

Waits for people to come in and say "'im tired of these DC boosters"

But the purple line isn't gonna be done until like 2040 lol

Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
lmaooooooooooo

Waits for people to come in and say "'im tired of these DC boosters"

But the purple line isn't gonna be done until like 2040 lol
Actually, it goes to compete for federal funding this year moving into final design phase with construction slated to begin in 2013. The entire line is scheduled to be done in 2016. On a side note, this isn't about D.C., it's about the future commuting trends for cities and how they have changed everywhere and planning for it. I'm sure most cities are trying to build something similar.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Boston , NY also plan a Rail circle or half circle. But construction on those won't start intill later this decade.....

Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Actually, it goes to compete for federal funding this year and construction is slated to begin in 2013. The entire line is scheduled to be done in 2016. On a side note, this isn't about D.C., it's about the future commuting trends for cities and how they have changed everywhere and planning for it. I'm sure most cities are trying to build something similar.
Yeah but Atlanta is never gonna be on our level.
Plus no other city has planned loop lines.

DC has streetcar lines and the purple line light rail on the table and some more.
Forreal ain't no other city seeing us except NYC, and thats how its gonna always be from here on out we on a come up.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
But construction on those won't start intill later this decade.....
More like later this century...............
How many years did it take the second avenue subway to start construction? not mention the entire line won't be done until Generation Y starts aging......

Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 PM

and the purple line should've been a heavy rail not a light rail. Heavy rail is faster and has its own right a way. Yes its more expensive but shouldn't Maryland and Virginia be trying to build something world class and not American class?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
More like later this century...............
How many years did it take the second avenue subway to start construction? not mention the entire line won't be done until Generation Y starts aging......
Why are you trying to make this a competition? You know I love my city and go to bat for D.C. everyday if need be but this wasn't about "my city is better than yours". You are going to make people mad.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:41 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,345 times
I think Detroit has made similar plans to do build a rail system that will travel around the city.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
and the purple line should've been a heavy rail not a light rail. Heavy rail is faster and has its own right a way. Yes its more expensive but shouldn't Maryland and Virginia be trying to build something world class and not American class?
Not really , this is light and Regional Rail were talking about which only requires New Tracks , Signals and stations. Subways requiring tunneling through hard rock....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City