Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the most interesting suburbs?
San Francisco/Bay Area 12 7.84%
Boston 25 16.34%
Seattle 7 4.58%
Chicago 9 5.88%
New York/Tri-State 8 5.23%
Los Angeles 25 16.34%
Dallas/DFW 5 3.27%
Atlanta 7 4.58%
Philadelphia 28 18.30%
Detroit 2 1.31%
Houston 3 1.96%
Minneapolis/St Paul 3 1.96%
Miami/Ft Lauderdale 5 3.27%
Washington, DC 13 8.50%
Other 1 0.65%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:50 AM

237 posts, read 179,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That wasn't really my point - and actually the first one is decently unique for a suburb considering the two styles of European architecture present right away in the link. The point is that just because somewhere has a walkable area doesn't make it any more interesting than anywhere else. At the end of the day, it's pretty subjective about what is "charming" - but trying to say that areas like Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, etc don't have as many walkable suburbs that are nice, charming, etc is just flat out wrong.

You're right, there's nothing like that - though Chicago has numerous extremely nice suburbs with communities right up on the lake and near beaches. Not the same because most of them are nice houses nearby and not that walkable in regards to retail, but still very, very nice as far as neighborhoods go.

Ugh..
When did I say Chicagoc Philly or Boston don't have those kind of suburbs?
Youre just putting words in my mouth, repeatedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

This list covers a bunch of charming towns in the Philadelphia region.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Never been to LA but before I became a a geography nut I already new several LA suburbs this is why I voted for LA. La seems to have the most interesting suburbs ever. Orange County, South LA County and the valleys are filled with interesting places.
Long Beach (if you count this)
Pasadena
Burbank
Santa Monica
Beverly Hills
West Hollywood
Santa Ana
Inglewood
Compton
Malibu
Oxnard
San Bernardino-(again if you count this)
Riverside-(again if you count this)
Anaheim

Also while King of Prussia is a close second the best name for a suburb is in LA La Canada Flintridge.

Second was San Francisco (technically third or Fourth but I live in Houston and close enough to Dallas)
Daly City
Palo Alto
East Palo Alto
Berkeley
Gilroy
Napa
Stanford
Menlo Park

New York City
White Plains
Mount Vernon
Yonkers
Greenwich- CSA?
Poughkeepsie- pretty sure this is outside of the MSA
Levittown
Hempstead
Hoboken
Newark? really a city
Irvington?
Jersey City?
Paterson?
Princeton-CSA?
Hamptons-collection of burbs thatI used to think was one burb.

This was probably be my top three cities in this order maybe switch NYC with San Fran but outside of a few westchester burbs and the dense New Jersey cities, I didn't really know much untolil about 3 years ago.

Laguna, manhattan, Huntington, Newport beaches are well known too. All vibrant/interesting/walkable.
Hermosa beach isn't as famous, but a big party town.

Last edited by Stacks3; 09-26-2016 at 07:41 AM..

Old 09-26-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
There are beach communities within Philly's CSA. Both Atlantic County and Cape May County, NJ--which have, in my opinion, the best beaches in NJ--, as well as Kent County, DE are located within the CSA. Some of the most vibrant and well-known beaches are in this area.
Csa isn't the same. Office workers in Irvine, Newport, long beach etc can leave their office and be at beach in minutes.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:25 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Love the LA burbs. Santa Monica seemed charming.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:11 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks3 View Post
Uber

When did I say that? They're is a big difference between la's diverse suburbs and Chicago's or Philly.

Have you been to Westminster or Glendale? Or the sgv?Or Gardena? Or long beach? Or Santa Ana?
It's just a different scale..

The fact la has these areas, plus the beach areas, plus the charming areas and attractions/tourism makes it the most interesting suburbs.

It just has more to offer.
My entire dad's family lives in LA - my dad is from LA. I've been to all of these suburbs numerous times. My grandma used to live in Pasadena and one of my dad's best friends lived in Glendale. We used to be in both of those cities all the time, plus Monrovia and Arcadia. My great Aunt and Uncle lived in Santa Ana for many years until my great Uncle's death - Santa Ana has a lot of foreign born. My first cousin lives in Santa Monica and another cousin of mine lives in Irvine. My Aunt and Uncle live near Calabasas. I'm pretty familiar with the LA area - I'm not some person who went there once or twice. I've been to the LA area probably about 30 times and do not just stay in LA since my family lives all over - both in the city and various suburbs. I love the LA area and wanted to live there badly when I was a kid (maybe one day I'll do it still).

I never once was trying to compare LA's suburbs to Chicago's in foreign-ness. My point is that this notion that Chicago, for example, doesn't have an international flair to any of its suburbs and it's actually very wrong. There's a ton of foreign born and also 1st generation living in the suburbs. Some of the suburbs are more international sometimes than parts of the city in reality. Anybody who is familiar with Chicago area knows this. Being able to find authentic ethnic food in the suburbs of Chicago is not hard at all (unless maybe you're in some of the southern suburbs).

LA has tons of great suburbs - I think anybody who is familiar with the area knows this. On average though, I don't find them any more charming or interesting than any other major metro area that experienced at least one boom in the 19th century. No, I'm not saying they aren't charming or interesting - they are.

You're right though - at least for the major areas versus NYC, Chicago, etc, you could say the beach ones are kind of unique - though if you are including Miami, not 100%. Miami Beach for example (which is not part of Miami - it is its own city) is pretty cool and could hold its own to the likes of Santa Monica. That place is extremely walkable in parts, has some very interesting Art Deco architecture that's pretty awesome (and some high rises - some bleh some are OK). Definitely beach community and the place is way more than just clubs. It's kind of similar to Santa Monica is status in that many people from outside of LA think that Santa Monica is part of the city of LA when it's not - just like Miami Beach - people think it's part of the city of Miami when it's not and it is its own independent city that is technically a suburb. Fort Lauderdale also has some interesting parts, walkable, right across from the beach. Bal Harbour as well, in a way - though much less interesting and smaller.

Last edited by marothisu; 09-26-2016 at 09:47 AM..

Old 09-26-2016, 11:01 AM

That's just Miami beach though. Really South beach. The rest looks pretty ho hum.

Id take la's beach areas as a whole.
Santa Monica (two areas)
Venice
Malibu/palos verdes/dana point for scenery
Manhattan
Hermosa
Redondo
Long beach (a few areas)
Seal beach
Huntington
Newport (3 different areas)
Laguna
San Juan

All active/walkable beach areas.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My entire dad's family lives in LA - my dad is from LA. I've been to all of these suburbs numerous times. My grandma used to live in Pasadena and one of my dad's best friends lived in Glendale. We used to be in both of those cities all the time, plus Monrovia and Arcadia. My great Aunt and Uncle lived in Santa Ana for many years until my great Uncle's death - Santa Ana has a lot of foreign born. My first cousin lives in Santa Monica and another cousin of mine lives in Irvine. My Aunt and Uncle live near Calabasas. I'm pretty familiar with the LA area - I'm not some person who went there once or twice. I've been to the LA area probably about 30 times and do not just stay in LA since my family lives all over - both in the city and various suburbs. I love the LA area and wanted to live there badly when I was a kid (maybe one day I'll do it still).

I never once was trying to compare LA's suburbs to Chicago's in foreign-ness. My point is that this notion that Chicago, for example, doesn't have an international flair to any of its suburbs and it's actually very wrong. There's a ton of foreign born and also 1st generation living in the suburbs. Some of the suburbs are more international sometimes than parts of the city in reality. Anybody who is familiar with Chicago area knows this. Being able to find authentic ethnic food in the suburbs of Chicago is not hard at all (unless maybe you're in some of the southern suburbs).

LA has tons of great suburbs - I think anybody who is familiar with the area knows this. On average though, I don't find them any more charming or interesting than any other major metro area that experienced at least one boom in the 19th century. No, I'm not saying they aren't charming or interesting - they are.

You're right though - at least for the major areas versus NYC, Chicago, etc, you could say the beach ones are kind of unique - though if you are including Miami, not 100%. Miami Beach for example (which is not part of Miami - it is its own city) is pretty cool and could hold its own to the likes of Santa Monica. That place is extremely walkable in parts, has some very interesting Art Deco architecture that's pretty awesome (and some high rises - some bleh some are OK). Definitely beach community and the place is way more than just clubs. It's kind of similar to Santa Monica is status in that many people from outside of LA think that Santa Monica is part of the city of LA when it's not - just like Miami Beach - people think it's part of the city of Miami when it's not and it is its own independent city that is technically a suburb. Fort Lauderdale also has some interesting parts, walkable, right across from the beach. Bal Harbour as well, in a way - though much less interesting and smaller.
I guess we'll have to disagree.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:31 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks3 View Post
I guess we'll have to disagree.
Sure. I'm very familiar with both the suburbs of LA and Chicago afterall. Most people think that the suburbs of Chicago are not international at all, which is very untrue - anybody familiar with it can tell you that, and my guess is you are not familiar at all with the Chicago area - just like a lot of people on C-D like to talk about things they haven't a clue about.

And Santa Monica, when compared to Miami Beach, is not necessarily unique. Both are very interesting, and pretty cool in their own ways - those two are some of my favorite cities/towns in the entire country. Not necessarily one off in the states.

But I agree with you that LA has a number of interesting/charming suburbs, but not any more in number than the other mentioned cities.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:48 AM

That's fine but I never said Chicago burbs weren't..its just not the same scale.

To me that's a sizeable difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City