Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hampton Roads VA or Tampa Bay FL?
Hampton Roads VA (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News, Hampton) 16 38.10%
Tampa Bay FL (Tampa, St. Pete) 26 61.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
It is about 3 hours with traffic. With that said Hampton Roads is within an 8 hour drive of several major cities along the east coast. You can drive as far northwest as Cleveland, northeast as NYC and south as Atlanta in around 8 hours or less. It might not be a huge selling point for you but it is for many.
This is simply not true. I take the drive about 3 times a year. RICHMOND to DC is basically 3 hours in traffic, these days.

I will not argue that having lots of cities within an 8 hour drive is a plus, I don't think it's meaningful enough to warrant living in a lesser city. Anything more than 2 hours severely limits the number of times most people are willing to take a drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 08:13 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
If the only thing you are after is beaches, then I would say Tampa Bay. Tampa also has more big city amenities immediately around it. But, Hampton Roads is likely cheaper, closer to DC which is more dynamic as an overall city in terms of offerings than anything in FL, and also reasonable day/weekend trip distance from 4,000 ft. peaks. Also, traffic probably isn't quite as bad there, and some of those coastal VA/MD towns offer an ambiance/charm that isn't quite found in many Coastal towns in FL.
Right, you're comparing VA - Mid Atlantic ambiance with FL(subtropical-tropical)? Really?

http://carefreeboats.com/wp-content/...rde-aerial.jpg

DC offers more in terms of jobs due to gov presence but it's a rat race. TB is more laid back, has better quality of life overall and the area has more natural beauty.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:23 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is simply not true. I take the drive about 3 times a year. RICHMOND to DC is basically 3 hours in traffic, these days.

I will not argue that having lots of cities within an 8 hour drive is a plus, I don't think it's meaningful enough to warrant living in a lesser city. Anything more than 2 hours severely limits the number of times most people are willing to take a drive.
I drive from Chesapeake to DC twice a week and I make it within 3 hours. Chesapeake is in Hampton Roads whereas Richmond is not.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:28 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
I drive from Chesapeake to DC twice a week and I make it within 3 hours. Chesapeake is in Hampton Roads whereas Richmond is not.
I take the ride from Hampton, which is in Hampton Roads, as well. It's the drive from my wife's parents house, to my wife's sister's house. I do not believe you make that drive in three hours. Sorry.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:41 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I take the ride from Hampton, which is in Hampton Roads, as well. It's the drive from my wife's parents house, to my wife's sister's house. I do not believe you make that drive in three hours. Sorry.
Sorry you don't believe me but it is true. I'm leaving the Western Branch area of Chesapeake. I go to D.C. twice a week to visit my granddaughter who attends Howard and my brother who lives in Fort Washington and sister who lives in Clinton. The last 40 years of my life has been living or traveling between the D.C. area and Hampton Roads. D.C. is approximately 189 miles from my house.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:54 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,469 times
DC is about an hour and 45 minutes from Richmond (downtown to downtown). I can see making it to DC from HR in about three hours.

Smithfield, Mathews, Urbana, Cape Charles, Yorktown...and since another poster said town within a few hours of HR... Annapolis, Alexandria, Middleburg, Culpepper, Saint Marys, New Bern...

Old 09-30-2016, 03:33 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Right, you're comparing VA - Mid Atlantic ambiance with FL(subtropical-tropical)? Really?

http://carefreeboats.com/wp-content/...rde-aerial.jpg

DC offers more in terms of jobs due to gov presence but it's a rat race. TB is more laid back, has better quality of life overall and the area has more natural beauty.
Well I suppose it's true that it's a different type of ambiance, but while that photo you posted from the air looks incredible, I personally feel there's something to be said for the historic town along the coastline type thing. Florida certainly wins the whole beach (itself) thing, but if there wasn't something special about places like Coastal VA/MD, NJ, MA, MN, etc., people wouldn't romanticize them the way they do.

As for the DC comment, I could see where someone would like TB better due to the slower pace, cheaper, beaches etc. But DC offers many more things than just jobs as an alpha city in terms of culture/history/shopping/transit/urbanity/etc that I think in fairness, TB can't offer, at least on the scale that DC can. It's all in what you're after.

As for the natural beauty comment, I think that again depends on what you're after. Many people like a tropical landscape better, but I know personally that many people love the changing seasons and the feel of a deciduous forest. Also, perhaps more of a determining factor than proximity to cities for some would be proximity to terrain. While I'm not that aware of Hampton Roads and it's offerings, the fact that I could take a weekend whenever I wanted there, and just drive 3 hours and be at some of the most breathtaking spots in the Shenandoah's is a BIG selling point for me, moreso than having DC and it's cultural attractions/streetscape/etc. would be, though that also is a plus.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:38 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,972,549 times
I prefer Tampa Bay but hey thats just me
-WT

Old 11-08-2016, 07:32 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,622,386 times
I have a very specific question. Although these two areas are climactically and culturally different, I'm curious about the similarity in makeup as multi-nodal regions...

1) What is Tampa's relationship like with the rest of the region, and what does the rest of the region think about Tampa?

2) What does Tampa offer as the anchor city of a large region that Norfolk can learn from or maybe aspire to? What is in Tampa that isn't in Norfolk in terms of amenities?

Old 11-08-2016, 07:37 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
2) What does Tampa offer as the anchor city of a large region that Norfolk can learn from or maybe aspire to? What is in Tampa that isn't in Norfolk in terms of amenities?
Ybor City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City