Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which do people generally enjoy visiting more?
Chicago 59 46.09%
San Francisco 69 53.91%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:44 AM

345 posts, read 809,789 times

Advertisements

based on daytime activities, nightlife, culture/vibe, shopping, dining, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 11:57 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Chicago in the SF, in the winter. I think a lot of people are surprised by how clean Chicago is and how gritty San Francisco is. They're both excellent restaurant cities. As much as it pains me, I might have to give San Francisco the slight edge. San Francisco has natural beauty, and it's breathtaking in ways that Chicago simply can't be, but Chicago nightlife is much better.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:39 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,534 times
This was super close for me, but I had to go with Chicago for he cleanliness alone. I like San Francisco a lot more and think it's built environment is more interesting, but Chicago does a really good job of keeping its touristy areas immaculate, and usually leaves a better impression from the people I've spoken with.

It was also the first big, classically urban core that I ever experienced, and my 8 year old mind was incredibly impressed by the canyons of tall buildings going down Chicago's perfect grid.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:40 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
I personally enjoyed visiting SF more, but I would rank Chicago higher overall as a city.

But as far as tourism goes, SF just might be my #1 city in the US. I have only been once, back in 2011, but I'm dying to go back. This is just my personal opinion.

I think a lot of people are impressed by Chicago because it's such a big city, but me being from NYC neither of these places impressed me by their size. I loved the nature around SF. The hills, the scenery, the unique climate, etc. What I loved about SF is that I feel like it offers me things that I don't get in NYC, which is rare. It's such a cool, unique city. I really love that place.

And I do agree that Chicago was extremely clean, but I personally love grittiness.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:31 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Good question. Not really sure. When I visited SF for the first time (2010) I was a little underwhelmed. The hype made me think I would fall in love the second I landed. I was there for a week though. The second time I went back (2013) I shortened the trip to 3 days and enjoyed myself more. Overall I'd say they're both enjoyable to visit, but I prefer Chicago as a place to live. I would highly recommend venturing out into the Redwood Forest in SF. You'll need a car, but it's nice.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:34 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,352 times
Another San Francisco vs Chicago thread?

SF wins this hands down.

SF has the vistas for amazing views, many more prominent locations for tourists (Alcatraz, GG Bridge, Cable Cars, Fishermen's Wharf just to name a few), It's unique climate in the Summer.Though I give the edge to Chicago for museums, SF is no slouch either.

Both are excellent food cities. I give Chicago the edge for Italian food, but SF wins with Asian cuisine.

San Francisco attracts twice the amount of international tourists than Chicago. So that's a good indicator of what city brand looks more favorable from visitors abroad.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Chicago in the SF, in the winter.
Ummmm...huh? LOL

Old 10-17-2016, 01:50 PM

151 posts, read 124,346 times
Chicago pretty easily.

SF only matches Chicago in food for me. It has the better scenery clearly, but any advantages end there.

Everything else I would take Chicago.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:52 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummmm...huh? LOL
Too late to add it now, but Chicago in the summer, San Francisco in the winter

Old 10-17-2016, 02:00 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Chicago in the SF, in the winter. I think a lot of people are surprised by how clean Chicago is and how gritty San Francisco is. They're both excellent restaurant cities. As much as it pains me, I might have to give San Francisco the slight edge. San Francisco has natural beauty, and it's breathtaking in ways that Chicago simply can't be, but Chicago nightlife is much better.
The term "gritty" I think transcends a city's cleanliness. I think a lot of people use the term gritty in other contexts.

I think when an American city is described as more gritty than others, I think it might be more of a reference to the culture. Tough and/or cynical personalities might be considered to be "gritty", whereas passive aggressive or politically correct culture of its citizens/residents might make a city less gritty, all things considered. In this context, San Francisco may feel less gritty despite it having more trash and/or homeless population than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City