Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Thanks! I'm moving to North Newark (Mt Prospect Ave) if you know the area at all.

I've been to Florida 3 times, a total of 35 days. I was mostly in Fort Myers, and it's exactly like you say. It's literally *Mansions on the river/gulf, palm lined streets, and gated communities (McGregor Blvd)... Shacks on unkempt lots, unbelievable crime, and shabby businesses (Palm Beach and Martin Luther King Blvd)* all in one town. Factor in wide open spaces, farms, and a strong eco-system too.
The media never really give you the whole picture when it comes to Florida. It's something you have to see for yourself.

I was only in Miami one day on the beach, south beach is very lively.
Yeah I know exactly where your talking about @ Mt Prospect Ave. South Beach is an awesome neighborhood, I really enjoy a lot of areas in South Florida. There are rundown ghetto areas but some beautiful areas as well, typical metropolitan. I haven't really spent much time in Fort Myers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 06:10 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm not bashing Miami, I was just making an observation. I'm moving to Newark if that softens the tension up. Miami is a great beach city, I just acknowledging the fact that it has a high poverty rate.

This is from 2004, and I'm sure things have changed- Miami is #1 (Newark is #2)
Richest and Poorest Cities in America - DCJobSource.com

edit**
Here's something from 2009/10- Miami is #5 (Newark is #10)
http://people.bakersfield.com/home/Blog/witterpitters/54877
Um, not that those sources don't look very legitimate but...
Miami (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The US Census publishes their information directly, why would I go to a third source to get that information? And the numbers on DCJobsource site aren't on the Census which is where it claims it got its information from.. I have no clue where that blogger got any of their information since they didn't say, they also didn't say numbers.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:29 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Um, not that those sources don't look very legitimate but...
Miami (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The US Census publishes their information directly, why would I go to a third source to get that information? And the numbers on DCJobsource site aren't on the Census which is where it claims it got its information from.. I have no clue where that blogger got any of their information since they didn't say, they also didn't say numbers.
From your source.... which is 10 years old-
In 1999 Miami's percentage of people below poverty is nearly 29%
http://people.bakersfield.com/home/B...rpitters/54877 here's the same list I posted (the 2nd source) with the percentage of people below poverty.

Miami pops up in all of these lists, and the link you posted further proves the fact that it's one of the poorest cities in the nation.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahdu View Post
san antonio, being the 7th largest city and the 29th largest metro area, has a random, non central, non logical, very holey patchwork of buses that come (if you're lucky) twice an hour for MAYBE 12 hours a day. from what i've experienced, it is by and far the worst. however, San Diego, unless you live in the very center of downtown, is a car-only city. the buses are a joke, the trolley serves so little of the town, and it is sloooooow.

both are somewhat similar cities in as much as they have a very small downtown that most of the residents don't actually live in; (and probably don't visit too much either) this combined with an all-encompassing suburbia outside of that area makes for impossible transit planning. how are you meant to plan transit in either of those cities without investing billions of dollars? it just doesn't make sense. However, San Diego really needs to get it's butt in gear or else it will end up looking worse than LA.
San Diego is America's 8th largest city with an estimated population of 1,359,132 (Jan 2010) with a metro of 3,105,793. I agree that the buses are a joke. The problem though is that San Diego is so big and spread out that it makes it difficult for the light rail to expand. I think it should expand through the Central San Diego area because it goes around that area. It should also expand farther north and east and instead of arriving every 15 minutes, it should be more like every 10 minutes maybe even sooner. The light rail is pretty good though, the reason it takes so long is because like I said it's spread out. The bus system needs a lot of work. They keep cutting hours off the buses and Sunday service doesn't even exsist for some of the metro areas anymore.

Here's how the light rail system works out now. If you notice it goes through downtown but it avoids the inter city neighborhoods. (area between the blue, green, and orange lines)

The good news is, they are adding a new line to the rail system which will go farther north to UCSD. The date to be completed will be 2014 I believe.

People tend to forget about the Coaster(double decker heavy rail train) which goes from Downtown San Diego to Oceanside, which is the very north part of San Diego's metro.

There is also the North County Sprinter light rail which is overlooked as well

All in all, the train systems deserve a C, but the bus sytem deserves a D in my opinion.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 PM

21 posts, read 31,804 times
I have to say Houston, TX...where I currently live. We currently have a light rail system known as METRORail...which is a mere 7.5 mile distance that has only been running about 6 years, yet it's crashed 300 times since it opened. Why? All seven and a half miles of track run directly in the left hand lane of downtown Houston with little to no protection. We even had our METRO bus and light rail slam into each other twice in one month...in front of their own headquarters! Let alone, our METRO buses crashed 1,029 times last year and have brutally killed and run over 30 or more people in the past 10 years! Our light rail system is 25x the U.S national average for light rail wrecks, coming in at 16 wrecks per mile of track. When I lived in Dallas, this was NOT an issue because the rail NEVER ran in the streets with the traffic. Trains and cars can't just share the same street in harmony.

You can see the tracks running in the turn only lane in my photo I took today (please click link).

Login | Facebook

Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 PM

^ I'm surprised as big as Houston is that they don't have a heavy rail system yet.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ I'm surprised as big as Houston is that they don't have a heavy rail system yet.
Lol, you would think huh? Dallas now has 45-78 miles of Light Rail transit now. You can ride DART Rail to downtown and take TRE clear through Ft. Worth!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphoneus666 View Post
Lol, you would think huh? Dallas now has 45-78 miles of Light Rail transit now. You can ride DART Rail to downtown and take TRE clear through Ft. Worth!
Yeah Dallas has a nice system. Even though I don't like the look of the DART trains lol. But looks don't matter, what matters is how efficient the system is.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 AM

Check out these videos out of Houston!

METRO bus vs. Light Rail

YouTube - METRO bus vs. rail crash

Destroyed In Seconds: Houston METRORail

YouTube - Destroyed In Seconds Houston Metro Rail

Old 08-17-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Yeah Dallas has a nice system. Even though I don't like the look of the DART trains lol. But looks don't matter, what matters is how efficient the system is.
I agree. I plan to move back. I've lost my last nerve with the city of Houston personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City