Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is best for the unemployed
San Francisco 8 26.67%
New York City 6 20.00%
Seattle 16 53.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 12:48 PM

12 posts, read 12,160 times

Advertisements

I'm unemployed and am looking for a place to move to; ideally with great amenities, outdoor recreation, excellent public housing, and progressive politics. I have my heart set on these 3 cities but I'm open to other options - please nothing in the south since they are racist .

Some factors that are important to me:

-access to stores/ vegan groceries that accept food stamps

-excellent public facilities like libraries, parks, museums, public internet and computers

-no threat of conservative/podunk politics

-gay rights, legal marijuana (WA is great for this)

-walkability since I don't have a car

-my passion is art, so having a vast and accessible art scene is important!

Which of these cities would be most survivable for someone unemployed and in need of government assistance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 01:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Seattle. I have a Facebook friend who lives there and alternates between being underemployed and unemployed; smokes weed; is gay (and loose); and protests anytime he can. He's thriving in Seattle. He takes advantage of social programs to afford to live there.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:32 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Do not try to live in NYC if you are unemployed! Bad idea!

It definitely has what you need, but it can be very difficult to live here even if you're employed.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 PM

242 posts, read 239,708 times
How about making something out of your life, and work for a change!

Old 01-21-2017, 04:25 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,159 times
Seattle has the highest minimum wage and the one of the, if not the highest young adult unemployment rate of any city.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:45 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Seattle's minimum wage is increasing in stages. The outcome is helpful if you can get a job, but it'll be a bit harder to get a job. Rents will rise because of the minimum wage increase, but still be cheap by NY or SF standards.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:48 PM

345 posts, read 810,219 times
neither. are you crazy? lol. it makes zero sense to move to the most expensive cities in the country, as you have almost zero chance to sustain your living expenses without a job lined up. have you even looked at your budget to forecast all your montly costs? if you move there and get no job, you'll be packing out of there before you know it, especially NY and SF. i repeat: YOUR ASS WILL NOT SURVIVE THERE.

and also the notion that the entire south is racist is just false and plain ignorant.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:35 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
How much do you have saved up? Most Seattle apartments require month and a half of rent for a deposit, and most studio/one bedroom apartments outside of downtown are around $1,500-$1,600 (will obviously depend on the neighborhood), so you're going to have to have a sizable chunk of savings to burn if you plan to move out here without a job lined up. Frankly, moving anywhere without a job lined up is rather difficult.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Also keep in mind as you move to another State your unemployment benefits (if any) follow you from your previous State. You must notify your past State and current State. And there are differences between States. You can find them here:

2017 to 2018 Maximum Weekly Unemployment Benefits By State | Saving to Invest

Note that Washington State has among the highest benefits, but again that only applies to WA employees who have been laid off/terminated not by cause.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:25 PM

45 posts, read 53,538 times
Unless your family is helping you, you'll probably live on the streets or public housing. I'd say San Francisco, it's chilly there but still less cold than the other two (in case you do need to live on the streets because public housing is not always available in time). And since you'll live on the streets or public housing, rent prices are irrelevant. SF also has a big and vibrant homeless community for you to join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City