Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

While New Orleans often gets lumped in with cities like Birmingham, Mobile, Memphis, etc, I have to say that anybody who has the perception of New Orleans as "just another Southern city" hasn't actually been there. I think NOLA is one of the most unique cities in this country. It has a culture and vibe that you won't find elsewhere. It is southern, but doesn't feel like the stereotypical South at all. Other cities like Charleston, SC try to copy NOLA's vibe but they don't even come close. While I would never live in New Orleans, I definitely give it its due credit.

YouTube - New Orleans French Quarter

YouTube - Bourbon Street, New Orleans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM

306 posts, read 319,790 times
No, it is far from it.

Miami gets the number one spot.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
No, it is far from it.

Miami is in a category its own, and its debatable whether or not its a 'Southern' city. New Orleans is in the heart of the deep South yet feels so different from any other city in the region.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:50 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
While New Orleans often gets lumped in with cities like Birmingham, Mobile, Memphis, etc, I have to say that anybody who has the perception of New Orleans as "just another Southern city" hasn't actually been there. I think NOLA is one of the most unique cities in this country. It has a culture and vibe that you won't find elsewhere. It is southern, but doesn't feel like the stereotypical South at all. Other cities like Charleston, SC try to copy NOLA's vibe but they don't even come close. While I would never live in New Orleans, I definitely give it its due credit.

YouTube - New Orleans French Quarter

YouTube - Bourbon Street, New Orleans
In what ways doesn't it feel like the stereotypical South? I've often heard this and never understood it. I find most who say this are people from outside the South who are unfamiliar with the region, though I see you live in North Carolina. I was born and raised in Texas, and lived in New Orleans for a year. I found the city VERY Southern. In what ways did you find it not southern?

Old 11-08-2009, 03:55 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
In what ways doesn't it feel like the stereotypical South? I've often heard this and never understood it. I find most who say this are people from outside the South who are unfamiliar with the region, though I see you live in North Carolina. I was born and raised in Texas, and lived in New Orleans for a year. I found the city VERY Southern. In what ways did you find it not southern?

New Orleans is unique, but it is very much Southern.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
The food, religion, customs, accents, social taboos, etc. are different from and in some cases the exact opposite than what is found in other parts of the south?

What does New Orleans have in common with the rest of the south other than location? I know Houston and Nola will have slight similarities because of geography and creole migration, but other than that you have to stretch it to find something really in common.

QUESTION: What in your opinion makes New Orleans DEFINITELY SOUTHERN?

840 posts, read 2,086,159 times
Yeah New Orleans is Pretty Unique. Would Love to visit some day

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
No, it is far from it.

No, New Orleans definitely beat Miami in uniqueness.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The food, religion, customs, accents, social taboos, etc. are different from and in some cases the exact opposite than what is found in other parts of the south?
Agree 100%. NOLA is very much Southern but not in the same way say Birmingham is. The two cities couldn't be more different.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:59 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
No, it is far from it.

I don't know about that. I would have to say New Orleans is way more unique than Miami.

Well I think the best way to decide whether or not New Orleans is the most unique city in the South is to determine its competition.
This would be my list who would compete with New Orleans to me the most unique city in the South:

Miami
Austin
Nashville
Memphis
Fort Worth
San Antonio
Orlando (maybe)

All of these cities have major current and historical aspects that make them more unique than any other cities in the South. Really, to the point that many people would argue that places like Orlando, Austin, Miami, and Fort Worth aren't even Southern cities. But, IMO, noe of these cities are more unique than New Orleans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City