Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:55 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
I've spent significant time in all of them! I grew up in the DC area, so I know Baltimore. It blows. Big time. Don't think I can say anything good about it, really, except that I like crab cakes and Camden Yards is a cool ballpark.

My ex was from Atlanta, so I visited there a dozen times. Typical New Modern South city. It has all the amenities and culture and things to do you could want, but it's too big and too hot. And the crime is pretty had.

New Orleans is by far my favorite. Been to Mardi gras three times and the jazz festival twice. I could live there, easily. And now is a good time to buy asmthe prices are still low post Katrina but coming back up as the area recovers in fine form. New Orleans has its problems, yes, but I'd just love the flavor. The fact I'm a huge jazz fan and love the food makes me biased, I admit.
That is funny. I grew up in the DC area too. As a young adult I wanted to visit Baltimore - just because everybody around me hated it so much. I like the place and moved there. In fact, I have lived in Baltimore for over half my life.

All that said, New Orleans would be my first choice by far. Baltimore would be second. The Inner Harbor mall thing isn't super interesting but the the neighborhoods around the harbor are. I haven't been to Atlanta for a while, but for some reason that I don't really understand, it just doesn't seem very interesting to me. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
New Orleans I love that city to visit, it is so much fun.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:57 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,761 times
I don't really drink so Atlanta it's got an aquarium I want to visit.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 PM

375 posts, read 296,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
That is funny. I grew up in the DC area too. As a young adult I wanted to visit Baltimore - just because everybody around me hated it so much. I like the place and moved there. In fact, I have lived in Baltimore for over half my life.

All that said, New Orleans would be my first choice by far. Baltimore would be second. The Inner Harbor mall thing isn't super interesting but the the neighborhoods around the harbor are. I haven't been to Atlanta for a while, but for some reason that I don't really understand, it just doesn't seem very interesting to me. But that's just me.

You might be the first guy from the DC area I ever met who likes Balmer!

I grew up in Alexandria? You?

I played high school lacrosse and had scholarship offers from u of m Baltimore as well as Coppin State but turned them both down cuz I hated the area. I was actually almost mugged in downtown Balmer while on a weekend visit to UMB! What a $hithole.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:56 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
To add to what everyone else is saying:

New Orleans!!!

Old 02-17-2017, 07:06 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I don't know for sure what it is about New Orleans because it has some significant downsides (humidity & crime) but most people that I know that visited there loved it including me.

Last edited by JMT; 02-19-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,150 times
The ONLY answer from that list of cities is New Orleans

Old 02-17-2017, 10:43 PM

560 posts, read 667,135 times
For a visit?

1. New Orleans
2. Atlanta
3. Baltimore

In that order.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:01 PM

151 posts, read 238,586 times
NAWLINS (New Orleans for those not versed in Lousianian)

Old 02-17-2017, 11:49 PM

21 posts, read 17,169 times
New Orleans. I've been to all 3 and would definitely go with New Orleans unless you're so conservative that you'll be offended. New Orleans has a lot one could choose to be offended by. I went with my Mom the first time I went. She was a retired auditor and I was a compliance officer. We ended up in a transvestite bar being waited on by a man who kept showing off his newly constructed breasts. We talked about how a man who got his breasts via surgery didn't seem to have the same sort of modesty a woman does. It was fun because we had decided to have fun.

Another time I went when Michigan beat VT in the Sugar Bowl and everyone was running around wearing their team colors. It was awesome in a different way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City