Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:23 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

One thing to consider is where in each metro the school is in as you'll be spending a lot of time in that neighborhood and probably living in that neighborhood or somewhere relatively close by.

Another is what type of nightlife you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 11:36 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sua2017 View Post
I was wondering if I am splicing hairs picking between the three cities and pointlessly trying to get down to the nitty-griddy.

Can anyone tell me which might be the most similar to Austin? I understand they are all going to be VASTLY different to Austin, but maybe where some overlap might be. I've visited each city but it was 7th grade for NYC, 8th grade for DC, and 9th grade for Boston, so it has been a while. I am going back to Boston next month and hope to learn a lot from that trip, but I don't think I'll be able to afford a trip to all three.
That's tricky...similarity to Austin...hmm. I've been to Austin twice in the last 5 years which isnt bad but still not feeling confident about a comparison. And I really don't see any of these standing out with particular parallels. I'm trying to think of some specific neighborhoods that might be reminiscent of Austin, but even that is tough. I think the vibe in Austin is pretty unique.

Boston is the one I know least well although I make it up there about once every two years. Used to live in DC and spend about a month or two in NYC each year. I'm thinking if you can find a submarket of these three cities that is similar to Austin it will be in Boston, possibly Cambridge. But again I am least familiar with Boston.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:37 PM

151 posts, read 238,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
That's tricky...similarity to Austin...hmm. I've been to Austin twice in the last 5 years which isnt bad but still not feeling confident about a comparison. And I really don't see any of these standing out with particular parallels. I'm trying to think of some specific neighborhoods that might be reminiscent of Austin, but even that is tough. I think the vibe in Austin is pretty unique.

Boston is the one I know least well although I make it up there about once every two years. Used to live in DC and spend about a month or two in NYC each year. I'm thinking if you can find a submarket of these three cities that is similar to Austin it will be in Boston, possibly Cambridge. But again I am least familiar with Boston.
I only ask because I love Austin and love that I grew up there. I would think Boston might be the most similar too, when considering the educated student friendly city the two are, with ample green space! But the main point of me moving to the East Coast is to experience something new, so hearing there are few comparisons is oddly exciting for me.

I think you might be right about Cambridge being the most similar to Austin. Seeing as NYC is the big apple and DC lives, breaths, and eats politics, the students are the center of Cambridge. Which I love and it is very exciting for me. Great schools exist in DC and NYC but Cambridge takes what it means to be an academic to a whole new level. I think, in many respects, central Austin has a similar (more so than DC and NYC) approach to what it means to live in Austin.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:53 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,910 times
Boston is also home to trillions of students.
Cambridge and Boston both have roughly the same 2:1 ratios of residents to students.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
One thing to consider is where in each metro the school is in as you'll be spending a lot of time in that neighborhood and probably living in that neighborhood or somewhere relatively close by.

Another is what type of nightlife you're looking for.
I do a little of everything when it comes to my nightlife. I want to be able to have some gay nightlife (I am a homosexual male who loves to dance) and the ability to go to a club every now and then. Most of my nightlife, however is mostly just bars with friends, but I do enjoy trendy bars over dive bars (but if a dive bar has good drink specials then I'll be there).

Also I love live music! Not just big name shows, I also love and enjoy the local acts. This love probably comes from growing up in Austin.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:15 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
I have to imagine NYC has the best nightlife (highest sensity, best public transit, latest last call).

Old 02-22-2017, 06:57 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Thank you! Honestly, until this post DC was probably the lowest ranked on my list, but now that you have described in the Parisian terms that fill my heart with joy, I am going to have to reconsider. However, the primary reason it was the lowest on my list is the law school itself. If I can negotiate a high scholarship, however, DC will certainly become more attractive.
All 3 cities will offer you fantastic opportunities and fun times. Knowing this... I think you should place the most emphasis on the law school. Do not move to DC because it is more fun, but the school isn't your top choice. Go to the city that has your top choice law school, you won't regret it.

Quote:
I do a little of everything when it comes to my nightlife. I want to be able to have some gay nightlife (I am a homosexual male who loves to dance) and the ability to go to a club every now and then. Most of my nightlife, however is mostly just bars with friends, but I do enjoy trendy bars over dive bars (but if a dive bar has good drink specials then I'll be there).

Also I love live music! Not just big name shows, I also love and enjoy the local acts. This love probably comes from growing up in Austin.

NYC or DC. Boston gay scene is eh. The city is a lot smaller so its expected. NYC has the most gay bars/clubs and is probably the gayest of the three cities, and NYC is more cosmopolitan than DC. The difference with NYC and DC is the size of the them. NYC is huge, busy and noisy with tons to do. DC is normal size, a little slower, cleaner, not tons but a lot do to. Either city you will have no regrets.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
You don't want it to be about school quality, but why in the world should it be about ANYTHING else?

Old 02-22-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You don't want it to be about school quality, but why in the world should it be about ANYTHING else?
Because I spent 4 years hating the city I live in. All four schools have excellent reputations, have job placement and bar passage rates above 90%. I am debating between 4 peer schools that all are very similar, and while a couple of schools do have better reputations, the differences between them are minimal. School quality and which school will be my best fit will be my first parameter in deciding which school to attend, but I don't find it unreasonable to ask advice about which city might be best for me. It might not change my mind, but I don't see why asking questions about where will I be happiest and which city is best for me as bad information to gather. Especially considering how currently I wake up wishing I was just about anywhere else and counting down the days to graduation.

Also, believe me when I say I have debated school quality for weeks when deciding where to apply. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people, and got many, many, many questions answered. I don't think going to a relocation discussion board and asking about which law school will be my best use of time, and so far I have got a lot of useless advice from asking people about the different cities because they want to talk law schools, and they just haven't done a fraction of my research. So I came here with the intention of getting the information I want to help me make a better decision. If I'm being honest, I am assuming most people on this board have done far less research on law schools and their quality than I have, so why should I come here asking for opinions when there are places much better for doing that? But I do respect the opinions of people on these threads when it comes to giving information about cities, so that is why I came here.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
All 3 cities will offer you fantastic opportunities and fun times. Knowing this... I think you should place the most emphasis on the law school. Do not move to DC because it is more fun, but the school isn't your top choice. Go to the city that has your top choice law school, you won't regret it.
Currently, the DC school will be my most expensive school to attend but I do believe that I could change that if I tried to ask for a scholarship reconsideration. They were just a bit more stingy with their money than the others, and the other two are considered to be better schools. I love the idea of living in DC but at the moment it isn't feasible but that doesn't mean I can't work at closing the gap. If anything, I should do that, and go back to the other schools in hope that they could also make their offers better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City