Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:12 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
Well most of those people don't have 6 figure incomes. I see a lot of working class people, and young hipster kids (probably bartenders etc) on that train with me. Once you get into Manhattan, it becomes a little more professional, but we're still talking majority of the riders from what I consider lower SES.
I agree that most don't, but many do. Probably more than you think. I run into people in Manhattan all the time that you would never know by looking at them that they made over $300,000 per year. Often many times that amount. Ok that's Manhattan. But some of them live in Brooklyn too. I did say "many" riders. I know that it's not the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 07:17 PM

416 posts, read 253,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I agree that most don't, but many do. Probably more than you think. I run into people in Manhattan all the time that you would never know by looking at them that they made over $300,000 per year. Often many times that amount. Ok that's Manhattan. But some of them live in Brooklyn too. I did say "many" riders. I know that it's not the majority.
If you want my opinion - as someone who spent his professional life in NYC around people making mid 6 figures, there is an aversion to using the subway. That doesn't mean we won't use it occasionally (I just admitted to using it) but we avoid it.

For example, if we have a night out we will take taxis home even though the subway is perfectly available to us. If we have a romantic partner, we will go with her in a taxi.

Using the subway is kind of like picking your nose. We do it when no one see's us. Sort of.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:27 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
If you want my opinion - as someone who spent his professional life in NYC around people making mid 6 figures, there is an aversion to using the subway. That doesn't mean we won't use it occasionally (I just admitted to using it) but we avoid it.

For example, if we have a night out we will take taxis home even though the subway is perfectly available to us. If we have a romantic partner, we will go with her in a taxi.

Using the subway is kind of like picking your nose. We do it when no one see's us. Sort of.
Yeah. PT is a love hate almost everywhere you go, but people still use it. Same out here with freeways. You complain but what are you gonna do?

Plus late night subway service in NYC isn't that reliable. The last time that I was there we frequently waited 15-20 minutes after 10pm. That doesn't make much sense when you can catch already be there in a taxi for the same price (if there are 3-4 of you). But commuting is another story.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:34 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's pretty funny right? And the pictures someone just shared of Dallas's walkable area, nobody was walking in them!! And two of them had a ton of parking. How is this possible in a big city?
You know why. I don't even know why you asked that question? Most sunbelt cities are like this. Besides, it's google maps. I can post Dupont Circle for DC, one of the most walkable areas in DC, and it will hardly show anyone walking. In fact, what's wrong with the parking in either of those links?

Old 03-12-2017, 08:49 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
For NYC, mostly poor people, young people, and tourists use it. You can find all kinds of people, but that doesn't mean they make up the majority of ridership. In NYC, the only time I will use the subway is if I'm by myself and going to Manhattan for something routine. Even then, I often feel uncomfortable with the people in the subway car with me.
You do realize Micheal Bloomberg rode the subway to work almost every day, right?

Old 03-12-2017, 09:41 PM

416 posts, read 253,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You do realize Micheal Bloomberg rode the subway to work almost every day, right?
lol for a PR stunt:

Mayor Takes the Subway

Very similar to how Trump ate a Burrito Bowl on cinco de mayo

Old 03-13-2017, 06:48 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Brickell is far denser than anyone of those areas.

I don't see what you think is so special about Manhattan, it too like Brickell is just a bunch of tall condo buildings (and office buildings) with retail at the ground floor.

And what do you mean by a strip mall, Brickell Village? Be specific, you're not making a lot of sense to me right now.
Uh gee, I don't know.... Most people think Manhattan is the world's alpha city.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Well most of those people don't have 6 figure incomes. I see a lot of working class people, and young hipster kids (probably bartenders etc) on that train with me. Once you get into Manhattan, it becomes a little more professional, but we're still talking majority of the riders from what I consider lower SES.
Most New Yorkers don't have six figure income. 21.4% of NYC workers taking public transit earn > $75k/year; 22.8% of NYC workers overall. Public transit includes both buses and subway; so it's likely subway riders are slightly more affluent than the city average.

I haven't noticed an aversion to the subway, though late at night the low frequency is annoying so more with $ will choose a taxi.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:22 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Most New Yorkers don't have six figure income. 21.4% of NYC workers taking public transit earn > $75k/year; 22.8% of NYC workers overall. Public transit includes both buses and subway; so it's likely subway riders are slightly more affluent than the city average.

I haven't noticed an aversion to the subway, though late at night the low frequency is annoying so more with $ will choose a taxi.
I think that in general it's true in any city with decent public transit that there's a large proportion of middle class to upper-middle class people who will use mass transit for commuting, but seldom use it otherwise.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:34 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's pretty funny right? And the pictures someone just shared of Dallas's walkable area, nobody was walking in them!! And two of them had a ton of parking. How is this possible in a big city?
I don't know what time those pics were taken, obviously not at peak hours (lunch, dinner, nightlife). I can say the same thing about Downtown Austin. No shortage of surface parking lots or parking garages either.

No one on 6th St:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2672...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Very few on Congress:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2715...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

West 6th - Not very happening
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2698...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Face it. You're dealing with newer cities with fickle pedestrian vibrancy. I understand the criticism and of course streetlife in Texas is nothing to brag about, but you conveniently give one newer city a pass over the other. It's not a 24/7 pedestrian environment like it is in DC, Chicago, NY, etc. If you want to see a terribly suburban sprawled city with tons of surface parking lots Downtown, visit Phoenix.

There's a little bit more in the Pittsburgh & Philly streetviews, but surprisingly dead for such dense older cities. Again, I chalk it up to time of day.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4410...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9488...!6m1!1e1?hl=en
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City