Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:11 PM

187 posts, read 226,672 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I would like comparison on Athens, GA vs Raleigh, NC please!

I understand from reading older threads that Athens is more "southern" feeling, and Raleigh is more of northern transplants.

The schools I am looking at are Georgia Southern University, Augusta University, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for nursing graduate programs. All of them rank well.

What I am looking for is some place that has some excitement and events going on, plus lots of parks for nature hikes especially dog friendly ones.

I want to work as a mental health nurse practitioner under the supervision of a physician (not my own practice) eventually but first get lots of experience in as a nurse.

Pretty much I'm easy going, and laid back in my free time but I really like excitement, sports, events, night life too.

Ok and alligators scare me. I know there are hardly ever gator sightings in Raleigh, I'm not sure how common in Athens. If they are as common in Athens as in Fl I might freak out. I'm not sure.
These pics: Hundreds of alligators photographed near Florida river | Daily Mail Online
Freak Me Out.

Housing budget is $400k. I am moving with my mom, who prefers communities but it isn't a make or break.

Thank you I've asked lots of moving questions and appreciate those who answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:00 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,242 times
Not getting this comparison....well at least with your school choices, you said you are looking at Georgia Southern University which is 3 hours from Athens, Augusta University which is almost 2. Chapel Hill is near Raleigh though.

UNC ranks higher(21) and I know I'd rather be in Chapel Hill than Augusta GA(Augusta Univ(95)) and Statesboro(where Georgia southern(128) is located).

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...s/nur-rankings

Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 AM

Thanks drrckmtthws! Good point about the schools. That might be what makes my decision between the two cities. I thought I saw a campus closer to Athens when I was looking on the map, but could be wrong, still I'd like the academically better program.

Which is better for nature hikes, going to lakes, and more dog friendly, athens or raleigh?

Old 03-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Not getting this comparison....well at least with your school choices, you said you are looking at Georgia Southern University which is 3 hours from Athens, Augusta University which is almost 2. Chapel Hill is near Raleigh though.

UNC ranks higher(21) and I know I'd rather be in Chapel Hill than Augusta GA(Augusta Univ(95)) and Statesboro(where Georgia southern(128) is located).

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...s/nur-rankings
According to that website, Emory in Atlanta ranks #8, however I've read that the particularly ranking us news does is not very legit. I have to do more research, and that Emory is almost 2 hours from Athens. I'm used to making long commutes though, and for the right place to live and the right school I'd do the commute time.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:21 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Seriously, you do not want to commute from the Athens area to Emory University on a regular basis. Atlanta traffic is very heavy, and the school is a significant drive on surface streets from the interstate. For graduate school, it would be better to live somewhere close to the campus and focus on getting the most out of your educational experience. I don't know about the specific program, but Emory's general academic reputation is top notch if you can gain admission.

There is plenty of great hiking and lake-based recreation around both the Athens, Atlanta and Raleigh/Chapel Hill areas, and many pet-friendly outdoor options as well. Augusta has some outdoor amenities with the Savannah River and associated reservoirs. Statesboro is more isolated and situated in a rather agricultural part of southern Georgia, but it's within a couple hours to great beaches ... and unfortunately alligator country too.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Seriously, you do not want to commute from the Athens area to Emory University on a regular basis. Atlanta traffic is very heavy, and the school is a significant drive on surface streets from the interstate. For graduate school, it would be better to live somewhere close to the campus and focus on getting the most out of your educational experience. I don't know about the specific program, but Emory's general academic reputation is top notch if you can gain admission.

There is plenty of great hiking and lake-based recreation around both the Athens, Atlanta and Raleigh/Chapel Hill areas, and many pet-friendly outdoor options as well. Augusta has some outdoor amenities with the Savannah River and associated reservoirs. Statesboro is more isolated and situated in a rather agricultural part of southern Georgia, but it's within a couple hours to great beaches ... and unfortunately alligator country too.
I'll have to take your word for it! I used to live in north NJ, so am used to driving in cities with heavy traffic, and now I'm in south NJ where to get anywhere I need to take the major highways, and then in the summer it gets crazy with shore traffic.

My mom doesn't care to move closer to the Atlanta area, because of crime rates there, so Emory might be out then. Thank you!

p.s. Right now I commute 45 min to school, and 1 hr to the hospital for my clinical (one semester was in philly). At first I hated it, but I learned to enjoy the drive lol..it was either that or have every day be a bad day right!

Old 03-10-2017, 03:06 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Either the southern mountains or north of Virginia Beach is where you won't find a lot of alligators, snakes, and bugs. Alligators become dormant when temps dip below 55. So that means almost the entire South has the temps and environment to support an alligator.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
Thanks drrckmtthws! Good point about the schools. That might be what makes my decision between the two cities. I thought I saw a campus closer to Athens when I was looking on the map, but could be wrong, still I'd like the academically better program.
Which is better for nature hikes, going to lakes, and more dog friendly, athens or raleigh?
Can not speak on Athens, but can speak on Raleigh, Chapel Hill, the whole triangle area as a whole and Augusta GA as I lived there for 2 years after college.

Augusta Canal is ok, its a good 8 miles, so 16 if you were to go all the way to the end and back, that said I prefer the triangle area, lots of places if you are into nature, lakes, rivers, lots of greenways and is bike and dog friendly(well both are dog friendly).

You can hike the Haw river either via the access point near the chapel hill/pittsboro border, or in near by saxapahaw, or you can get on the eno river in Hillsborough(chapel hill is part of orange county, carrboro is basically connected to it via downtowns and Hillsborough is only like 10 minutes from chapel Hill). You can also hit up the eno river in near by Durham. And going back to the Haw, it feeds Jordan Lake, the areas largest lake and is also close to Chapel Hill. You also have Falls Lake and the Neuse river in Raleigh, and several other area lakes and spots to hike all through out the entire triangle area.

I don't know about georgia southern having any athens campus, or locations near athens, google maps shows that it's a 3 hour and 5 minute drive.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Either the southern mountains or north of Virginia Beach is where you won't find a lot of alligators, snakes, and bugs. Alligators become dormant when temps dip below 55. So that means almost the entire South has the temps and environment to support an alligator.
She won't be seeing any gators unless she is near the coast, though Augusta does have gators but she wouldn't be seeing any in the Raleigh area doubt she see them in Athens either though I still don't see how Athens is in the mix when none of the schools she wants to go to are there.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
I'll have to take your word for it! I used to live in north NJ, so am used to driving in cities with heavy traffic, and now I'm in south NJ where to get anywhere I need to take the major highways, and then in the summer it gets crazy with shore traffic.

My mom doesn't care to move closer to the Atlanta area, because of crime rates there, so Emory might be out then. Thank you!

p.s. Right now I commute 45 min to school, and 1 hr to the hospital for my clinical (one semester was in philly). At first I hated it, but I learned to enjoy the drive lol..it was either that or have every day be a bad day right!
Plenty of safe spots in ATL, crime is every where, honestly for the most part it is easy to avoid because most of it is in the same areas and not all over the whole city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City