Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:23 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Philly is grossly underperforming, given its location and what it's got to offer. I think a lot of international travelers go from NYC to DC (or the other way around) and skip Philly altogether. It needs to do a better job of marketing itself and capturing a larger portion of that traffic.
They've been doing a marketing blitz the last few years with their "With Love, Philadelphia" ads. Who knows how successful those ads have been. I just think it's hard getting people to visit Philadelphia when that means that's one day out of maybe 7 that they're not spending doing cool stuff in NYC or seeing the White House in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 10:28 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It would have been more accurate to say that Chicago receives more European tourists than DC, which should not be the case given its location in the middle of the country. In terms of overall tourists, DC should be blowing Chicago out of the water due to its coastal location, status as our nation's capital and proximity to Europe, but it's not. I guess people don't dig that city that much.

DC also benefits by having New York only a few hours away. A lot of foreign visitors to DC likely entered the country through JFK.

Lol you've stooped to the old DC is close by to NYC trick huh?

Gimme a break Chicago is 4 times larger a city proper than DC. Why is DC ahead at all?

Philly is a coastal location closer to Europe also what's your point???

Old 05-24-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You're mixing threads which is causing with you to misunderstanding what I'm saying.
You're the one who brought it up.

Quote:
Philly is lagging there too because in some ways international(ism)/ tourism can closely relate to the sophisticated vibe and feel of the city or area.
So again, I ask, how does DC have a more "sophisticated vibe" than Miami, and how do Guatemalan enclaves in Montgomery County contribute to that sophistication?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
It would have been more accurate to say that Chicago receives more European tourists than DC, which should not be the case given its location in the middle of the country. In terms of overall tourists, DC should be blowing Chicago out of the water due to its coastal location, status as our nation's capital and proximity to Europe, but it's not. I guess people don't dig that city that much.

DC also benefits by having New York only a few hours away. A lot of foreign visitors to DC likely entered the country through JFK.
This is how I've caught you. How is DC helped by New York 4 hours away and (5th in the nation in tourism), yet Philly 90 miles away and not even on the list??

Case closed.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
You're the one who brought it up.

So again, I ask, how does DC have a more "sophisticated vibe" than Miami, and how do Guatemalan enclaves in Montgomery County contribute to that sophistication?
Dude don't ask me that off topic bs. Lol

Miami is not more sophisticated than DC. Anymore on it, we can take it to that thread.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:37 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
They've been doing a marketing blitz the last few years with their "With Love, Philadelphia" ads. Who knows how successful those ads have been. I just think it's hard getting people to visit Philadelphia when that means that's one day out of maybe 7 that they're not spending doing cool stuff in NYC or seeing the White House in DC.
True, but an educated traveler going between NYC and DC by road would take at least one day for Philly. I get the sense though that Philly is simply not on the radar for a lot of people. Anecdotally, I had relatives visiting from abroad a couple years ago who were planning to spend a few days in DC and then take the bus to NY. When I asked if they were stopping in Philly on the way, the response was "What's in Philly?". And these are relatively educated people.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
This is how I've caught you. How is DC helped by New York 4 hours away and (5th in the nation in tourism), yet Philly 90 miles away and not even on the list??

Case closed.
That's not evidence that Philly isn't helped. The city's numbers could be even lower if NYC wasn't 90 miles away.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:59 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Yes, according to the survey, 48% of international visitors to Toronto came from the U.S.

With that said, TO received well over 2.2 million international visitors even after we discount all of its U.S. visitors, which I'd say is a respectable number given how long NYC and Chicago's shadows can cast over the entire Midwest/Northeast region.

And only visitors from the U.S. who arrive by plane are counted. If all of the U.S. visitors who arrive by car/bus/train were also counted, Toronto's total would be quite a bit higher given how close it is to the American border, whereas many of the American cities on the list wouldn't be impacted much by Canadians arriving by car/bus/train since most of them are too far from the border and most Canadian visitors arrive by plane.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:32 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Lol you've stooped to the old DC is close by to NYC trick huh?

Gimme a break Chicago is 4 times larger a city proper than DC. Why is DC ahead at all?

Philly is a coastal location closer to Europe also what's your point???
DC is the capital of the most powerful nation (or was until Donnie took control) in the world. It's pathetic how little foreign visitors DC gets.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
DC is the capital of the most powerful nation (or was until Donnie took control) in the world. It's pathetic how little foreign visitors DC gets.
It's fifth in the nation.. Since when did we get to a point where top 5 is pathetic in America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City