Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,407 times

Advertisements

Moving from Los Angeles to either Portland or Denver. Upside to Portland is that we have family in Hood River. We are willing to live in outside either city because we will be driving there. We are both taking a semester off of on campus classes and taking online classes while we move. We are then planning on transferring to PSU or U of C Denver. (We like both schools we just want to hear more about living there)We will both be looking for jobs right when we move out there, preferably full time. We are looking at overall livability with cost of rent and job opportunities being our main concerns. We both value healthy eating, nature, being outdoors, and music/concerts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 05:17 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
What field are you studying for? (Important for your jobs/affordability question.)

Portland has milder weather then Denver. Denver: deep, snowy winters, hot summers. Portland: milder winters & summers.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:10 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Portland

Old 07-11-2017, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 5,849 times
Portland is a beautiful city.. you'll love it there!

Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 PM

My boyfriend is a marketing major and I'm an english major.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:00 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjess_ View Post
My boyfriend is a marketing major and I'm an english major.
This is a little off-topic, but if you want to be marketable as an English major, be sure to get internships with publishers, or print media, or website management for an organization or publication, like an editor's assistant, or something. Those jobs are out there, if that's what you had in mind.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Portland has milder weather then Denver. Denver: deep, snowy winters, hot summers. Portland: milder winters & summers.
Denver gets less snow than Portland gets rain. Deep, snowy winters in Denver are a bit of misnomer. However, it can get hot in the summer and the weather in Colorado is wildly variable. It can be 70* in February and snowing in May.

Portland is very green, lush, and has a lot of water access. Denver is high altitude, dry, and very nearly touches the sky. Colorado dryness may feel more like SoCal, as numerous CA transplants feel right at home. If there is family in Hood River, you may already know the local environment.

CO and Denver are enjoying a very low unemployment rate, so getting jobs may be easy. However, expenses are also rising and rentals are getting scarce and pricey.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a little off-topic, but if you want to be marketable as an English major, be sure to get internships with publishers, or print media, or website management for an organization or publication, like an editor's assistant, or something. Those jobs are out there, if that's what you had in mind.
Thank you for this!

Old 10-13-2017, 11:41 AM

8 posts, read 9,160 times
Talking Denver = Hippie -------- Portland = Hipster

------- DENVER -------

------- PORTLAND -------

HUGE DIFFERENCE

Old 10-13-2017, 01:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Probably more opportunities in Denver.

Portland isn't really that big of a town.
Plus real estate prices here are through the roof.

I have family in Greeley and I live in Portland.

I much prefer Portland because of the physical beauty of the PNW, but be forewarned, Colorado culture and Oregon culture are pretty different.

If I were you, I would seriously check out Boise, Idaho. (Pronounced Boy-see, not Boy-zee)

It's a very up and coming town, and I think an educated young couple could do very well there.
It's kind of a mixture of Denver and Portland.
You have the University of Idaho, and Boise State for schools.

Look familiar?

Right now it's booming! A very good time to get established there.

Plus it's an easy days drive to Portland and the coast (6 to 8 hours) and a 12 hour drive to Denver.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-13-2017 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City