Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city
Chicago 3 20.00%
Brooklyn 5 33.33%
Hudson County 2 13.33%
Philadelphia 4 26.67%
Washington Dc 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 5,234 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities would be best for an emancipated 16yo self employed male. I buy and sell designer clothes and jewelry online and in person. Most of my sales are in person through Craigslist,Let go etc. My current metropolitan area isn't very large and doesn't have many fashion fanatics so my sales are stagnating. I plan on moving to a larger Metro area so my sales from meetings can increase. I am looking to spend no more than $1500 a month on rent. Quality of living for this price would be much higher in Chicago or Philly, but I would have access to many more people in Hudson County(NJ) or Brooklyn. I'm looking for an area with an abundance of wealthy people and an area with a lot of fashion interested people. The obvious choices would be Washington or NY Metro. In leaning most towards Chicago, and least towards Philly(25% poverty rate!) Any help with this decision would be appreciated.
//I live in Ga//I love density and diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 04:54 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,786,063 times
If you are going to be in the fashion business NYC metro (Brooklyn, Hudson County) is the only real choice here, even if you still do a lot of online sales. However at 16 it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to land a place to live, even a share. Most folks won't trust that a teenager-- even a mature teenager who is/has been on his own-- will be a solid, trouble-free tenant who pays his rent on time. I don't even know if a 16-year-old can legally sign a lease, emancipated or not. Stay where you are and finish high school while you build your business online. Save some cash 'cause you'll need it. Then when you're 18 it'll be a lot easier to leave for somewhere else.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:26 PM

Thanks very much. That was the area I was considering most(at first). Its just that the NY metro area is so expensive. I already graduated HS, (I took extra classes online and Summer school). The NY area has several turn always for me: I like bulk shopping(food) and the NY metro doesn't have many supermarkets. The idea of eating at restaurants a lot and buying small amounts of groceries is a major turn away, second is that for my budget, I can love a much higher quality of life in Chicago or Philly. Ik that that NYmetro is the obvious choice, but can the fashion markets in Chicago, Philly or DC even compare with that of NYM?
/I also plan on expanding to buy and sell other things also.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:34 PM

14,065 posts, read 13,977,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich4never View Post
Thanks very much. That was the area I was considering most(at first). Its just that the NY metro area is so expensive. I already graduated HS, (I took extra classes online and Summer school). The NY area has several turn always for me: I like bulk shopping(food) and the NY metro doesn't have many supermarkets. The idea of eating at restaurants a lot and buying small amounts of groceries is a major turn away, second is that for my budget, I can love a much higher quality of life in Chicago or Philly. Ik that that NYmetro is the obvious choice, but can the fashion markets in Chicago, Philly or DC even compare with that of NYM?
/I also plan on expanding to buy and sell other things also.
Chicago but got to be careful with neighborhoods majority of bad ones are on south and west side of Chicago. You got checkout Jersey City, NJ 15 mins commute to Manhattan rents around $1400-$2200. You going need make aleast almost 3000-3800 monthly

Old 10-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Chicago but got to be careful with neighborhoods majority of bad ones are on south and west side of Chicago. You got checkout Jersey City, NJ 15 mins commute to Manhattan rents around $1400-$2200. You going need make aleast almost 3000-3800 monthly
Yeah, I really like Chicago,especially since I could get a very nice apartment in the city center for under $1500. The thing is I know that my sales would be a lot more successful in Jersey. People in Chicago don't seem very interested in fashion. Neighborhood wise for the same budget in Jersey City, its possible that I could end up in a not so good neighborhood. If you've been in Chicago have you seen many people wearing designer or shopping in stores? I also will likely expand to sell other things. Are classifieds like Craigslist, Chicago tribune ads, and Letgo popular in Chicago?(Also Philly)

Old 10-21-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If you are going to be in the fashion business NYC metro (Brooklyn, Hudson County) is the only real choice here, even if you still do a lot of online sales. However at 16 it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to land a place to live, even a share. Most folks won't trust that a teenager-- even a mature teenager who is/has been on his own-- will be a solid, trouble-free tenant who pays his rent on time. I don't even know if a 16-year-old can legally sign a lease, emancipated or not. Stay where you are and finish high school while you build your business online. Save some cash 'cause you'll need it. Then when you're 18 it'll be a lot easier to leave for somewhere else.

Good luck.
Thanks very much. That was the area I was considering most(at first). Its just that the NY metro area is so expensive. I already graduated HS, (I took extra classes online and Summer school). The NY area has several turn always for me: I like bulk shopping(food) and the NY metro doesn't have many supermarkets. The idea of eating at restaurants a lot and buying small amounts of groceries is a major turn away, second is that for my budget, I can live a much higher quality of life in Chicago or Philly. Ik that that NYmetro is the obvious choice, but can the fashion markets in Chicago, Philly or DC even compare with that of NYM? /I also plan on expanding to buy and sell other things also.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:34 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,978,356 times
Queens or the Bronx. You’re still in NYC, but your rent will be cheaper.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:49 PM

14,065 posts, read 13,977,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Queens or the Bronx. You’re still in NYC, but your rent will be cheaper.
Rents in Queens and The Bronx are still expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City