Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I moved far away from home after college for a job, but lately I have been thinking about moving closer to my parents.

Grand Rapids and Toledo are about equal distance from where my parents live (not too close or too far), and I could see myself living in either city. I like that both have a measure of vibrancy downtown, and seem to be reasonably safe cities, while still having an urban/ gritty vibe that I like.

I am a young, gay, white, male, post-college professional (social work). Which city do you think would be a better fit for me? I realize Grand Rapids is a conservative city, so Toledo seems to have the edge in that department. Which city has the better young professional scene? Which is more vibrant within city limits? Which has the better city neighborhoods (walkability, etc.)? Also, which has the most well-preserved historic buildings or districts (my cup of tea)? Last, which city would be easier to find a bachelor-level Social Work job in? Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 03:59 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,652 times
Michigan native here. I wouldn't call Grand Rapids conservative, but it certainly is overall more moderate compared to other large cities in Michigan as the last presidential election for Kent County was nearly a tie. First I would say Grand Rapids should be the clear pick. It is more vibrant, safe and with large young professional crowd. Many historic buildings are also well preserved, historically you may see influence from dutch once strong presence. You are also near lake Michigan. As for jobs, both Grand Rapids and Toledo have been experiencing the slow moving economy. Base off your post it seems like your parents may live in lower Michigan or northeast Indiana. Perhaps you should push further east and west. East look at Columbus. West look at Chicago. Both large vibrant cities, historical buildings, young professionals, more walkable and more jobs.

Toledo is not a safe city
http://www.city-data.com/city/Toledo-Ohio.html

Old 05-31-2011, 05:27 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
One thing that jumps out at me here, as a resident of SE Michigan: if your parents are roughly halfway between GR and Toledo, then what about Ann Arbor? It's pretty much the most liberal city in Michigan, and the local economy there is one of the best in Michigan. It has a vibrant night life and young professional scene, is very, very walkable because of the presence of the U of M, and it is a short drive to the big city amenities of the Detroit Metro (major league sports, major concert venues, etc.) AA has many well preserved historical buildings, I'm not sure about specific historic districts, though. Also, because there are so many medical facilities in AA, I would think that finding work in the social work field would be easier than somewhere like GR or Toledo, or you could commute to one of the outlying suburbs of Detroit, some of which are only 20-30 min. from AA. I can't even imagine choosing Toledo over Ann Arbor. I haven't been to GR so I can't speak for that, but I doubt it would rival AA for someone who is looking for the things that you are looking for.

If you do end up choosing Toledo, I know many people who live there and have never remotely been threatened or been a victim of crime, and it has many beautiful, safe, neighborhoods and some great historical architecture (check out the Old West End/Museum District, which is supposed to be the largest area of preserved Victorian homes in the Midwest). http://oldwestendtoledo.com/site/ind...id=1&Itemid=67

Like any other city, your personal safety all depends on where you live and where you go at night. However, Toledo can be very, very boring, and the local economy has not helped the city at all. Toledo is a nice place to raise a family, but I don't know if I would pick it for a young professional looking for things to do.

Last edited by canudigit; 05-31-2011 at 05:46 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
One thing that jumps out at me here, as a resident of SE Michigan: if your parents are roughly halfway between GR and Toledo, then what about Ann Arbor? It's pretty much the most liberal city in Michigan, and the local economy there is one of the best in Michigan. It has a vibrant night life and young professional scene, is very, very walkable because of the presence of the U of M, and it is a short drive to the big city amenities of the Detroit Metro (major league sports, major concert venues, etc.) AA has many well preserved historical buildings, I'm not sure about specific historic districts, though. Also, because there are so many medical facilities in AA, I would think that finding work in the social work field would be easier than somewhere like GR or Toledo, or you could commute to one of the outlying suburbs of Detroit, some of which are only 20-30 min. from AA. I can't even imagine choosing Toledo over Ann Arbor. I haven't been to GR so I can't speak for that, but I doubt it would rival AA for someone who is looking for the things that you are looking for.

If you do end up choosing Toledo, I know many people who live there and have never remotely been threatened or been a victim of crime, and it has many beautiful, safe, neighborhoods and some great historical architecture (check out the Old West End/Museum District, which is supposed to be the largest area of preserved Victorian homes in the Midwest). Old West End Images - Collingwood Boulevard

Like any other city, your personal safety all depends on where you live and where you go at night. However, Toledo can be very, very boring, and the local economy has not helped the city at all. Toledo is a nice place to raise a family, but I don't know if I would pick it for a young professional looking for things to do.
I was thinking the same exact thing.......Another choice that people forget about is Ferndale and Royal Oak outside of Detroit are known for being gay friendly and have a good nightlife along the Woodward strip.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Grand Rapids is a very progressive city, yes there are many conservatives, but you'll see just as many "progressive" folk, if that's what you call it. I really don't know, but Grand Rapids is a growing city with so many cool things with art, activites etc.. I don't think toledo (or anything in the crappy state of ohio) could compare to grand rapids

Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
My parents live very close to Ann Arbor (about 20 minutes away). I've never been a fan of Ann Arbor. While it is vibrant, it feels more like an overgrown college town than a big city. It just feels small to me. Also, it's not particularly historic, in my opinion. Both GR and Toledo have a lot more history. Also, I'm looking for post-college young people, and most of the young people in Ann Arbor are students. I'm not trying to be down on Ann Arbor. It's a nice college town. It's just not for me. Also, I want to live in an actual city with its own identity rather than a community that functions more as a suburb (Ferndale, Royal Oak). If I was going to choose to live in a Detroit suburb, I would rather live in the city of Detroit.

Also, I'm not considering places like Chicago or Columbus because they are both about five hours from my parents. I currently live in Pittsburgh, which is five hours away, and that's the whole reason I'm trying to move closer.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 05-31-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,612 times
Grand Rapids has some nice historic areas around downtown, specifically Heritage Hill. The economy is ok but slowly and surely building a medical niche in downtown area. GR also puts you an hours away from Saugatuck, a gay-friendly resort town with great beaches.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,315 times
Toledo has some really nice areas and it's very close to Bowling Green, which is an awesome college town that you may enjoy. Plus, Toledo is a lot more convenient to Pittsburgh than Grand Rapids is.

I'd go with Toledo.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM

I'm leaning towards Toledo. I love the downtown and Old West End neighborhoods.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,652 times
Quote:
My parents live very close to Ann Arbor (about 20 minutes away). I've never been a fan of Ann Arbor. While it is vibrant, it feels more like an overgrown college town than a big city. It just feels small to me. Also, it's not particularly historic, in my opinion. Both GR and Toledo have a lot more history. Also, I'm looking for post-college young people, and most of the young people in Ann Arbor are students. I'm not trying to be down on Ann Arbor. It's a nice college town. It's just not for me. Also, I want to live in an actual city with its own identity rather than a community that functions more as a suburb (Ferndale, Royal Oak). If I was going to choose to live in a Detroit suburb, I would rather live in the city of Detroit.

Also, I'm not considering places like Chicago or Columbus because they are both about five hours from my parents. I currently live in Pittsburgh, which is five hours away, and that's the whole reason I'm trying to move closer.
That is understandable but if your parents live in southeast Michigan I wouldn't be surprised if one can drive the distance from Chicago wthin four hours. Also if driving is a concern Chicago has a direct amtrack route through Michigan.

I will suggest to look more into Grand Rapids. Although Toledo city limits has a higher population overall by metro Toledo population is near 600k while GRand Rapids is near 800k. Also you have the great outdoors wwith Grand Rapids and a great location to visit small cities like Traverse City and Holland, and major cities like Chicago and Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City