Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 11:59 PM

87 posts, read 128,942 times

Advertisements

So the list is getting shorter in choosing where to relocate the family -

My wife and I have been looking and looking -- and measuring twice before cutting once.

We like the Atlanta suburbs (i.e. Fayetteville, Peachtree City, and Woodstock)

but we also like the RTP Triangle suburbs of Raliegh, Durham, and Chapel Hill

(i.e. Cary etc...)

1. Safety

2. Amenities

3. Schools

are the top 3 priorities .....

What are you thoughts? Your input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 06:57 AM

815 posts, read 708,120 times
Seriously, you really can't go wrong with either of the areas you're considering in GA and NC.

I live in Peachtree City, GA and I can tell you why I love it. I have not lived in NC, but my brother and his family used lived in a burb outside of Raleigh and loved it, so I kind of have a general idea

As for PTC, You'll really not find no other place like it in the country.

As far as safety, you'll find no city safer. People here have a very strong sense of community. It's mostly geared for families and retirees, so it's a great place to raise a family (not such a great place for singles). It's nickname is the "Bubble" because there's a feeling that it's insulated from all of the bad stuff that happens in other places. It's a very diverse community in every way except economics--very few here are not upper middle class. The downside of that is that some may construe the desire to keep out the "bad" as snobby and elitist. The areas in NC you're looking at are also very safe. However, I think I would give PTC the slight edge when it comes to safety. Living in a Bubble, you do get an added feeling of security. Maybe it's a false sense of security, but it's the type of place where many people don't lock their cars and homes and leave their cars running to pop in to a shop.

The schools in Peachtree City, and in Fayette County in general, are among the best in the state and best public schools in the nation. So are the schools in NC. I'd say in this area, NC and GA are tied.

As for amenities, PTC is a small, closed community. One drawback is that if you really like to shop, there is not a whole lot here and you will sometimes have to drive to Newnan for a Dillard's or to Atlanta for high end shopping and stores like Whole Foods, etc. If you're not into shopping you would be just fine because we have all the basics like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Sams, Steinmart etc. and some high end stores like White House, Black Market, but if you want Neiman Marcus and a mall where you can shop where you drop, well PTC is not where it's at. There is quite a bit of resistance to new shopping coming here from some people here because people don't want the traffic and some fear that it may bring in more crime. If you don't mind making the 30-40 minute drive to Atlanta for shopping, you'll be fine tough. I'd say NC has the definite edge here when it comes to shopping.

For recreation, I'd say the two areas are about equal. but I give PTC the slight edge. PTC has multi use paths and people use golf carts as a second mode of transportation. People also walk, jog, and bike the paths. By ordinance, every business and residence must have access to the paths. There are also three large lakes with fishing and recreation, and many parks for kids. I like PTC for recreation because there are many things that you can enjoy everyday without having to make a special trip to a lake, beach or mountain.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:02 AM

6,110 posts, read 4,603,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
It's nickname is the "Bubble" because there's a feeling that it's insulated from all of the bad stuff that happens in other places. It's a very diverse community in every way except economics--very few here are not upper middle class. The downside of that is that some may construe the desire to keep out the "bad" as snobby and elitist.
I had to read this closely to see where it was speaking of because this could be a very precise definition of Cary, NC. I don't know that it has the "bubble" nickname but the description sure does apply. It doesn't have a Neiman Marcus but in general people in Cary love upscale chain stores and upscale chain stores love Cary because of their $$$ buying power. It's also an area that has had so many people from the Northeastern US move in that it's been almost entirely drained of a southern feel. It's kind of a cookie cutter suburb, although a very pleasant middle-upper class one with coordinated hues of beige. Just like Lake Wobegon, most of the children and schools are well above average, too! -Please excuse the snark but this is pretty apt description in my opinion.

Last edited by Jowel; 07-01-2018 at 07:23 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 08:22 PM

761 posts, read 906,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Seriously, you really can't go wrong with either of the areas you're considering in GA and NC.

I live in Peachtree City, GA and I can tell you why I love it. I have not lived in NC, but my brother and his family used lived in a burb outside of Raleigh and loved it, so I kind of have a general idea

As for PTC, You'll really not find no other place like it in the country.

As far as safety, you'll find no city safer. People here have a very strong sense of community. It's mostly geared for families and retirees, so it's a great place to raise a family (not such a great place for singles). It's nickname is the "Bubble" because there's a feeling that it's insulated from all of the bad stuff that happens in other places. It's a very diverse community in every way except economics--very few here are not upper middle class. The downside of that is that some may construe the desire to keep out the "bad" as snobby and elitist. The areas in NC you're looking at are also very safe. However, I think I would give PTC the slight edge when it comes to safety. Living in a Bubble, you do get an added feeling of security. Maybe it's a false sense of security, but it's the type of place where many people don't lock their cars and homes and leave their cars running to pop in to a shop.

The schools in Peachtree City, and in Fayette County in general, are among the best in the state and best public schools in the nation. So are the schools in NC. I'd say in this area, NC and GA are tied.

As for amenities, PTC is a small, closed community. One drawback is that if you really like to shop, there is not a whole lot here and you will sometimes have to drive to Newnan for a Dillard's or to Atlanta for high end shopping and stores like Whole Foods, etc. If you're not into shopping you would be just fine because we have all the basics like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Sams, Steinmart etc. and some high end stores like White House, Black Market, but if you want Neiman Marcus and a mall where you can shop where you drop, well PTC is not where it's at. There is quite a bit of resistance to new shopping coming here from some people here because people don't want the traffic and some fear that it may bring in more crime. If you don't mind making the 30-40 minute drive to Atlanta for shopping, you'll be fine tough. I'd say NC has the definite edge here when it comes to shopping.

For recreation, I'd say the two areas are about equal. but I give PTC the slight edge. PTC has multi use paths and people use golf carts as a second mode of transportation. People also walk, jog, and bike the paths. By ordinance, every business and residence must have access to the paths. There are also three large lakes with fishing and recreation, and many parks for kids. I like PTC for recreation because there are many things that you can enjoy everyday without having to make a special trip to a lake, beach or mountain.
Great description of Peachtree City. Atlanta is a north centric city, so much of shopping & dinning options tend to be on the Northside of town. Peachtree City is a great place to raise families, and like Cary (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) Peachtree City is home to many transplants. Also, the Starr's Mill area of Fayetteville bordering Peachtree City, which is connected to the cart path system is another great place to look as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City