Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better transit?
Charlotte 21 42.00%
Houston 29 58.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:53 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,666 times

Advertisements

Pound for pound, which city’s LRT serves the metro area the best? I understand that Houston is bigger, but relative to the respective size of each, Charlotte is not that far behind it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 07:08 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
I rode the METRORail Red Line while I was in Houston this past weekend. Unlike DART, the cars seem much cleaner and service seems a bit faster, which is what I liked best about it.

Having said that... I'm fairly certain Charlotte's is better. Houston has only had their LRT for about a decade now? It's just now growing and doesn't have a real central hub, which is about the only thing I don't like about it.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:56 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I rode the METRORail Red Line while I was in Houston this past weekend. Unlike DART, the cars seem much cleaner and service seems a bit faster, which is what I liked best about it.

Having said that... I'm fairly certain Charlotte's is better. Houston has only had their LRT for about a decade now? It's just now growing and doesn't have a real central hub, which is about the only thing I don't like about it.
Charlotte’s is 11 years old, so the same age. This is why it is interesting.

Why is Houston so late to the game? How was a metro that big functioning without rail?

Old 10-30-2018, 08:12 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Apples and oranges. It really makes no sense to compare those two cities.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:15 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post

Why is Houston so late to the game? How was a metro that big functioning without rail?
In short, politics.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:23 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
In Houston, the automobile is king. People want to be in control of their movements, and don't want to wait on others, and/or have others driving them around. It's about being independent. It might not make sense in other areas, but people there could care less, and aren't interesting in copying others.

It's the newer and younger people - often from elsewhere - who are trying to get the light rail "train" rolling. But they're facing an uphill battle against deeply-entrenched tradition and culture.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:59 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Pound for pound, which city’s LRT serves the metro area the best? I understand that Houston is bigger, but relative to the respective size of each, Charlotte is not that far behind it.
Maybe by miles but not ridership. Houston has at least triple the daily ridership with about the same amount of track miles.

Quote:

It wouldn't be the first. LA was about twice the size of what Greater Houston is today before it got its first rail line. Citizens in Houston voted for heavy rail in the 80s (and a much larger light rail expansion in the late 90s/early 00s) but the mayor at the time in the 80s basically vetoed it to appease his developer friends. He himself owned a lot of vacant land in the metro that slowly became sprawled subdivisions. In the 00s, two politicians (John Culberson and Tom Delay) both diverted federal funding intended for rail expansion in Houston to other cities. Some of that funding went to Dallas, for example, which used it to double its track length. Both of them have since apologized and acknowledged their mistakes.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:19 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:

Trust me, most places (with the exception of NYC) can "function" without light rail/trains. When you compare ridership to the overall population in nearly all metro areas, it's excruciatingly expensive and not cost effective at all. It's just the thing to do these days. When we don't physically see the tax $$$ coming out of our pockets, it's easier to pour massive amounts of money into these things. With the same cost/benefit ratio, we wouldn't dare treat our home finances like that. Out of sight, out of mind. Most people, as one poster said, want the freedom of their cars. There's nothing wrong with that. It's extremely efficient on a personal level. I know this sort of thinking doesn't fly on C-D, but I the math doesn't make sense. LR and other rapid transit is nice and fun, but a huge money pit that benefits comparatively few people.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:49 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Trust me, most places (with the exception of NYC) can "function" without light rail/trains. When you compare ridership to the overall population in nearly all metro areas, it's excruciatingly expensive and not cost effective at all. It's just the thing to do these days. When we don't physically see the tax $$$ coming out of our pockets, it's easier to pour massive amounts of money into these things. With the same cost/benefit ratio, we wouldn't dare treat our home finances like that. Out of sight, out of mind. Most people, as one poster said, want the freedom of their cars. There's nothing wrong with that. It's extremely efficient on a personal level. I know this sort of thinking doesn't fly on C-D, but I the math doesn't make sense. LR and other rapid transit is nice and fun, but a huge money pit that benefits comparatively few people.
Lol are you talking about roads or rail transit? Roads cost more by far but of course since most of us are used to that we expect to pay for them. I agree, there's nothing wrong with liking cars and the "freedom" of personal vehicles, but the cost to the citizens is far greater with cars and roads, not the other way around. It is no longer a question of whether this type of transportation will be sustainable in the future, but rather how much longer we can maintain this. That is why many cities are investing...not cause it's popular but because it is a necessity for the future.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:25 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In short, politics.
You wanna expand, or you just wanna leave it at that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City