Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 03:10 PM

8 posts, read 13,609 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer? And explain too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 03:13 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,432,200 times
It's basically dry heat vs humid. I think most people prefer dry heat.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,451,854 times
Phoenix- all beach no ocean!

Old 07-03-2015, 02:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,771,053 times
Phoenix average high and low in the hottest months:
June 103 - 78
July. 106 - 84
Aug. 104 - 83

Low humidity, minimal rain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix,_Arizona#Climate

Tampa average high and low hottest months:

June through August: 90 (high) - 75 (low)

High humidity, lots of rain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa,_Florida#Climate

The truth is they both suck. But based on the "heat index" it looks like Phoenix is the worst in the summer:

Sizzling Cities ranked – our new Heat Index « Bert Sperling

Old 07-03-2015, 03:20 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,826,060 times
I've only experienced "wet heat" a couple times in my life so this is based on my experiences. But I'm quite experienced with the dry heat.

Pros to a DRY heat:
- No sticky feeling
- Your hair doesn't get frizzy
- Tolerable summer nights.

Cons to a DRY heat:
- No sweating. Since your sweat evaporates almost the second it gets out of your skin, it rids your body of it's natural cooling system.
- Dehydration. More likely to be dehydrated in a place that barely rains. This is the ultimate con I can think of, because this can cause health issues if you don't manage it properly. I've learned that the hard way.
- The sun. The sun is your ultimate enemy in a dry heat. IMO, when I'm in the middle of summer, like now, I am on my knees begging for a cloudy day. For me, overcast make the heat feel much more tolerable. Also, sunburns and skin cancer. Shade is your best friend.
- Hot surfaces. Nothing burns quite like your foot accidentally slipping out of your flip-flop... Or your steering wheel... The pain in a dry heat for this isn't quite the same as a wet heat from my experience. If you can cook eggs on that sidewalk, you can definitely burn your foot.

Pros to a WET heat:
- In places I've been where it has a very humid and hot summer it rains usually once or twice a day. And at certain times too typically. In New Orleans it would rain at around 5 every day. And then after it was night, and that felt good too. Rain is good, very good, especially warm rain IMO. So to me wet heat was a temporary experience during the day. Dry heat in contrast, lasts as long as the sun does, which in Arizona is about 5 am to about 7:30 pm consistently.
- That is really the only pro I can think of at the moment. I probably have more but it's been a while.

Cons to a WET heat:
- The constant desire to take a shower.
- Your hair getting ruined.
- A large variety of insects, especially mosquitoes.
- Being sticky.

I guess I would rather have a dry heat. Cambodia was the worst wet heat I've ever experienced, imagine similar humidity to Florida with Phoenix temperatures... Nah. Would rather be in Phoenix. But I prefer a hybrid rather than the extremes, like monsoon season in Arizona (high 90s-low 100s + ~60% humidity vs. ~110 + 10% humidity) which is about late July-early August give or take.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:36 AM

300 posts, read 441,652 times
The entire point of sweat is for it to evaporate, evaporation is the molecules of sweat breaking and loosing heat making it cool where it evaporates. You don't want it just sitting on you, it should be constantly evaporating to cool you down and in humid areas it cant get into the air as easily so it sits on your skin and makes you sweaty and gross.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:28 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,155,515 times
90 degrees with humidity is not comparable to 110 degrees without humidity. 110 is much worse, and also more dangerous.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 AM

30,415 posts, read 19,200,796 times
I prefer Phoenix. The humidity just saps my energy. Also, the summer nights in Phoenix are hot but without the sun and with low humidity, it feels pleasant enough to do stuff. I just swelter in that humidity in Florida.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:03 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,906,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
90 degrees with humidity is not comparable to 110 degrees without humidity. 110 is much worse, and also more dangerous.
This!!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:25 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,922 times
Tampa. Phoenix is insanely hot, and not as dry as people think. Tampa is ridiculous too, but it's much more reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City