Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,411,487 times

Advertisements

Austin, Portland, Seattle are 3 cities that 15-20 years ago were a lot more off the radar then they are today. They are now really popular cities that have become very expensive and crowded. Places that a lot of young people want to move to. You might add the Raleigh NC area to that list too. Denver has become a lot more of a hot city too in the last 10 yrs. Does anyone have a guess what the next major up & coming city will be? Seems like it is more likely to be in the West or South as that's where the hottest up & coming cities came from the last 15-20 years. It seems like ot will also need hipsters, creative types and high tech, as those have all been ingredients in the last batch of up & coming places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
New Orleans
Fayetteville

Old 07-07-2014, 07:17 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,255,216 times
I see a lot of "zOMG Pittsburgh is totally the next Austin!!!!!!1111" here. Not sure if I buy that.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 PM

275 posts, read 455,778 times
Columbus, Ohio
Asheville, North Carolina
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Omaha, Nebraska
Boise, Idaho

Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
Columbus, Ohio
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Omaha, Nebraska
Boise, Idaho
Columbus is a great possibility. Chattanooga Tennessee I couldn't imagine. Omaha Nebraska is a great possibility. Boise has a minute to go but a possibility too.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyePorcupine View Post
Columbus, Ohio
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Omaha, Nebraska
Boise, Idaho
That is a good list. I think I would consider Asheville already discovered and on most peoples radar though. Boise is a good call. And I have heard Chattanooga too. I have heard Pittsburg too, Pittsburg has the universities and Carnegie Mellon to help with tech jobs. Maybe Bellingham WA?

I used to think Albuquerque NM had potential as the next hot city, New Mexico has lots of sun and a mild winter, beautiful mountains and kind of a mystique to it and cool culture, but NM just can't seem to get it's act together to attract decent jobs.

What makes you say Omaha and Columbus? What would drive those to become the next hot cities? I can't see hipsters flooding into Omaha Those are 2 I would never have thought of.

You could also say, "what is going to be the next hot small city"? I think Boulder CO, Ft. Collins CO., Missoula MT, and Ashville are examples of smaller hip cities that are fully discovered. Ft. Collins is an example of a place that was undiscovered 15-20 years ago and has doubled in population and has much higher real estate prices now. Ft. Collins again has the combination of a university, hipness, outdoor recreation.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 PM

New Orleans that is an interesting one.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:04 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Indianapolis Indiana
Columbus Ohio
Kansas City Missouri
Austin Texas
Nashville Tennessee
Raleigh North Carolina

All of these cities have moved leaps and bounds forward in the last 10-20 years and are all continuing to innovate!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaquenna View Post
most of these are well known cities that are up as they are going to get. Asheville really has no job market , it is a small tourist town in the mountains and big employers won't start moving there. lol That isn't my idea of an up and coming city. I would say something like Greenville SC.

I crack up when I see people list New Orleans and Nashville and Kansas City as "up and coming". Shouldn't it be a smaller metro to be up and coming?
Who says it has to be a smaller metro? The OP listed Austin, Portland, Seattle, and Denver as cities that have really come along ways in the past 10-20 years. Even 20 years ago those cities were pretty renowned.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:12 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaquenna View Post
most of these are well known cities that are up as they are going to get. Asheville really has no job market , it is a small tourist town in the mountains and big employers won't start moving there. lol That isn't my idea of an up and coming city. I would say something like Greenville SC.

I crack up when I see people list New Orleans and Nashville and Kansas City as "up and coming". Shouldn't it be a smaller metro to be up and coming?
New Orleans is pretty small compared to cities it's compared against. It's only 1.3m MSA.

Lafayette, LA is an up and coming city. Very under the radar nationally but making great strides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City