Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 09:51 AM

8,068 posts, read 8,359,794 times

Advertisements

Three very different places, both climatically and culturally. Other than being cheaper than NYC, what's the common denominator?

I'm more familiar with Seattle (where I live) and Las Vegas (where my sister lives), than with St. Petersburg.

Living without a car is very doable in Seattle - you can easily save $500/mo by going car-less, which can be used to help defray the higher COL. Las Vegas, on the other hand, is very car-centric.

Las Vegas has tons of entertainment, with lots of shows on the Strip. Seattle is very outdoors oriented, but does have a good live music scene.

Seattle is probably the more artistically oriented. Seattle is still where most art galleries and museums are located, but lots of artists have relocated from there, however, due to the high cost of living, moving to the Tacoma, Everett, Bremerton, Olympia, Bellingham, and Vancouver areas, where rents for apartments and art studio spaces are cheaper. All of these areas have demand for nurses. Living without a car is possible in Tacoma, Bellingham, and Olympia. An often overlooked area, but worth considering, due to a much lower COL, is Spokane.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 09:57 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
Seattle is the obvious choice here. The other two are just places to visit for a weekend.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:16 PM

606 posts, read 419,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Three very different places, both climatically and culturally. Other than being cheaper than NYC, what's the common denominator?

I'm more familiar with Seattle (where I live) and Las Vegas (where my sister lives), than with St. Petersburg.

Living without a car is very doable in Seattle - you can easily save $500/mo by going car-less, which can be used to help defray the higher COL. Las Vegas, on the other hand, is very car-centric.

Las Vegas has tons of entertainment, with lots of shows on the Strip. Seattle is very outdoors oriented, but does have a good live music scene.

Seattle is probably the more artistically oriented. Seattle is still where most art galleries and museums are located, but lots of artists have relocated from there, however, due to the high cost of living, moving to the Tacoma, Everett, Bremerton, Olympia, Bellingham, and Vancouver areas, where rents for apartments and art studio spaces are cheaper. All of these areas have demand for nurses. Living without a car is possible in Tacoma, Bellingham, and Olympia. An often overlooked area, but worth considering, due to a much lower COL, is Spokane.
I really appreciate all the responses. Very helpful! As a recent grad I really don't think I'm getting 35/hr. off the bat. In spite of its high COL I think I am going to go with Seattle. I like the idea of being in an out doors oriented place. And it was really helpful to know that about the artistic community. I did notice a lot of the apartments the closer you get to Seattle are smaller in space so that seems to be a trade off.

Even with the COL being in nyc I think I could handle it. I already pay $800 for a room and apparently some of the apartments are around that price. At least, the ones I've found on Zillow and the apartments. Com website. I'm thinking my expenses are going to be similar except with perhaps 1000 more a month (the taxes I'm losing each month) in disposable income. It's a good think I don't drink, smoke or go to the club.

I guess theres going to be some kind of trade off for living outside of nyc but I think life will be more enjoyable.

I really am not sure if I can go car-free. To work in homecare you usually need a car, or at least, that's what I've seen, unless the company specifies that I don't need one. But it is nice to have that car-free living option.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I really appreciate all the responses. Very helpful! As a recent grad I really don't think I'm getting 35/hr. off the bat. In spite of its high COL I think I am going to go with Seattle. I like the idea of being in an out doors oriented place. And it was really helpful to know that about the artistic community. I did notice a lot of the apartments the closer you get to Seattle are smaller in space so that seems to be a trade off.

Even with the COL being in nyc I think I could handle it. I already pay $800 for a room and apparently some of the apartments are around that price. At least, the ones I've found on Zillow and the apartments. Com website. I'm thinking my expenses are going to be similar except with perhaps 1000 more a month (the taxes I'm losing each month) in disposable income. It's a good think I don't drink, smoke or go to the club.

I guess theres going to be some kind of trade off for living outside of nyc but I think life will be more enjoyable.

I really am not sure if I can go car-free. To work in homecare you usually need a car, or at least, that's what I've seen, unless the company specifies that I don't need one. But it is nice to have that car-free living option.
Beware of rental scams. In Seattle, you can find room-shares for $800 or less, micro-apartments for $1,000 or less, but a real studio, with a bathroom and kitchen, will more likely be $1,000 or more. Many charge extra for W/S/G and off-street parking. A real one-bedroom (not a studio with a sleeping nook) is likely to be $1,200 or more.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
For a techie the choice would obviously be Seattle. For any non techie Seattle is nuts. It is an unpleasant climate with few redeeming features unless you are well off. Lousy traffic, lousy weather, sprawled all over the place with few redeeming virtues.

I suggest Las Vegas. The climate is actually more pleasant than St. Petersburg which I would consider second. And it is a pretty good place to be a young LPN. Lots of demand and reasonable salaries.

For one in this position I would describe Seattle as bad as NYC.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:32 PM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Las Vegas wages for LPN's I've seen as high as $35/hr. However Vegas doesn't offer much in public transportation other than the bus system.
You sure you're not confusing this with RNs?
LPNs typically make from high teens to mid 20s per hour. Anything over $25 is generally RN salary.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:40 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
For a techie the choice would obviously be Seattle. For any non techie Seattle is nuts. It is an unpleasant climate with few redeeming features unless you are well off. Lousy traffic, lousy weather, sprawled all over the place with few redeeming virtues.

I suggest Las Vegas. The climate is actually more pleasant than St. Petersburg which I would consider second. And it is a pretty good place to be a young LPN. Lots of demand and reasonable salaries.

For one in this position I would describe Seattle as bad as NYC.
I’m not entirely sure I agree. Climate is a matter of preference. I happen to really enjoy Seattle’s climate year-round and its stunning natural setting. But I also don’t prefer severely hot places and would place both Las Vegas and St. Petersburg in that category.

I do agree that, if the salary is the same, it will take one further in Las Vegas or St. Petersburg than it will in Seattle. However, that’s sort of the question. Florida is notorious for low wages, and Las Vegas wages don’t seem all that high either. If she can make more in Seattle, it may or may not be worth the higher COL.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:44 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I’m not entirely sure I agree. Climate is a matter of preference. I happen to really enjoy Seattle’s climate year-round and its stunning natural setting. But I also don’t prefer severely hot places and would place both Las Vegas and St. Petersburg in that category.

I do agree that, if the salary is the same, it will take one further in Las Vegas or St. Petersburg than it will in Seattle. However, that’s sort of the question. Florida is notorious for low wages, and Las Vegas wages don’t seem all that high either. If she can make more in Seattle, it may or may not be worth the higher COL.
Seattle runs 150 days of sunshine. It is mostly grey. Cost of living is much higher than Las Vegas or St. Petersburg. Per Sperling 40% more than Las Vegas.

Not really a close call.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Seattle has brilliant summers, but gloomy winters. You can hike, climb, sail, row/paddle, dive, or ski/snowboard. You can even surf (at Westport).

The biggest complaint from newcomers is not our wet winters, but the paucity of air-conditioning during our increasingly "hot" summers. New housing has it, but older housing doesn't.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:46 PM

606 posts, read 419,195 times
Thanks guys!

I grew up in Tennessee so I am used to high humidity and high temps most of the year. I generally don't have my ac on for more than 15 minutes at a time unless it is over 90 outside. I prefer to let the breeze come in through the window.

Vegas

I am getting mixed reviews about this one. The heat probably won't bother me because I grew up in a mostlt humid and sunny place. The only difference might be the lack of trees. I also like to be able to go to the park frequwntly and the idea of riding an ATV or dirt bike in the desert is very appealing. I think the lower wages can be offset with overtime. And working 10 or 12 hour shifts I would still not have to work more than 4 days a week to get overtime and be good. I also understand real estate is cheaper there too? But how would car expenses go?

St. Petersburg

I understand there are hurricanes here. But how do people deal with the wage losses (I'm assuming) that huricanes can cause? And how does a middle class person deal with them if they don't have the experience to properly board up their houses during the hurricane?

Seattle

I'm not sure about Seattle being as bad as nyc. It at least has no income taxes. Nyc has taxes on everything. It can't be worse than that even with its high cost of living. Plus, unlike upstate ny, i think the more rural areas of wa state could offer a really good living. Or at least, that's what I assume.

I don't think $1000 for rent (it might be my upper limit though) is going to break the bank for me. It might mean one 60 hour week to make sure I have rent and then some additional funds. But the option of public transport is good in the short run too. The scenery I've seen is gorgeous. I'm not sure how I'd feel being in an area where it rains a lot. I've never even lived in a place remotely close to it so it's hard to say. I do tolerate the rain a lot better than snow/ice.

Where is a reputable site for me to get a good idea for rents. Any place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City