Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Is Best?
Nashville 48 45.28%
Austin 58 54.72%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 08:58 PM

126 posts, read 142,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't think Austin is overrated, if anything it's now underrated as it's so hated. That being said, it's no Nashville. Not the same class of city.

This is absolutely correct. It's not remotely in the same class.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:10 PM

571 posts, read 1,173,503 times
I have some good friends that moved from Palm Desert to Nashville for a new career (and affordable housing). They're convinced I need to uproot from Seattle to move to TN because it's just SO KICK ASS! I'm sure it's nice, but I think the boosterism is now over the top. They think I'll succeed beyond my wildest dreams there and won't acknowledge my area is still growing faster. It's a very interesting phenomena. I'm sure it's got great hot chicken and possibilities for some but...... And Austin is way too hot. These cities seem very well matched up by most accounts though! Climate wise I think Nashville would be much more tolerable personally. I do like how both metros are drive-able to other large cities.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I have some good friends that moved from Palm Desert to Nashville for a new career (and affordable housing). They're convinced I need to uproot from Seattle to move to TN because it's just SO KICK ASS! I'm sure it's nice, but I think the boosterism is now over the top. They think I'll succeed beyond my wildest dreams there and won't acknowledge my area is still growing faster. It's a very interesting phenomena. I'm sure it's got great hot chicken and possibilities for some but...... And Austin is way too hot. These cities seem very well matched up by most accounts though! Climate wise I think Nashville would be much more tolerable personally. I do like how both metros are drive-able to other large cities.
I think Nashville's isolation works in its favor. It is the top city in its state with no competition for hundreds of miles (Cincy/Atlanta, and St. Louis to a lesser degree) while Austin has to compete with several larger metro areas. Both cities are changing very fast.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:18 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post
This is absolutely correct. It's not remotely in the same class.
No, actually it's backwards. Nashville is several years behind Austin, and Austin is still booming as well. You need to travel a little.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:24 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, actually it's backwards. Nashville is several years behind Austin, and Austin is still booming as well. You need to travel a little.

I disagree. It’s well more than several years behind Austin and I don’t think The gap is narrowing.if anything, Austin is pulling away.

It’s fine to like Nashville more, but the constant misstating of facts is really annoying

Last edited by Charlotte485; 07-11-2019 at 10:34 PM..

Old 07-11-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I disagree. It’s well more than several years behind Austin and I don’t think The gap is narrowing.if anything, Austin is pulling away.

It’s fine to like Nashville more, but the constant misstating of facts is really annoying.
I was attempting to be a little generous, but you're right. It's over the top hype that is becoming a huge turnoff, and it reeks of insecurity.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:50 PM

592 posts, read 591,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

It’s fine to like Nashville more, but the constant misstating of facts is really annoying
I'm no Nashville booster like Quinmill(possibly a troll) but proud of my home town for what's happening, while I believe a lot of the Nashville hype is overstated stating the two cities are years of apart is not exactly the case. I believe they're closer than one would think. Yes, Austin is growing faster than Nashville (faster than Charlotte, Raleigh and a host of other cities) there's not much difference in day to day amenities between the two. Both have one line of commuter rail, similar retail, active downtowns etc. I'd say what puts Nashville slightly ahead for me is Nashville is closer to other cities outside of Texas.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
I'm no Nashville booster like Quinmill(possibly a troll) but proud of my home town for what's happening, while I believe a lot of the Nashville hype is overstated stating the two cities are years of apart is not exactly the case. I believe they're closer than one would think. Yes, Austin is growing faster than Nashville (faster than Charlotte, Raleigh and a host of other cities) there's not much difference in day to day amenities between the two. Both have one line of commuter rail, similar retail, active downtowns etc. I'd say what puts Nashville slightly ahead for me is Nashville is closer to other cities outside of Texas.
I'm sure it's exciting to witness all the changes, it sure has been for me in Atlanta during the many years I've been here. I'm very happy for Nashville, and have always celebrated the success of all of our neighbors. It's good for the region when our cities evolve and prosper.

I appreciate level headed and reasonable posters like you and Shakesha for keeping it real, it's a stark and much needed contrast to some of your neighbors.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 PM

413 posts, read 437,773 times
I voted for Austin but its pretty close........I really do prefer the location and the vibe of Nashville though but I think Austin is still ahead by a decent margin overall but both are high level high growth metros of relatively similar size....

Last edited by JMT; 07-11-2019 at 11:51 PM..

Old 07-12-2019, 02:03 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Both need to do something to drastically improve their public transportation systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City