Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 05:19 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Orange County CA sucks. 3 million+ no rail at all.
While Part of LA metropolitan area, LA County has been passing rail transit measures to build hundreds of miles of rail but it stops at the county borders since the money is largely paid for by County of LA sales taxes
OC has metrolink and Amtrak too I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 05:20 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'm not positive, but if I had to guess, I think Las Vegas is worse. It has no LRT, right?
Nope, but they got monorail

Old 07-27-2019, 09:27 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
That's like saying midtown isn't part of New York City, here's the building counts.

Phoenix:
212 low rise buildings
95 high rise buildings
42 skyscrapers
349 buildings

San Jose:
292 low rise buildings
89 high rise buildings
0 skyscrapers
381 buildings
Difference: almost all the high rises are in Downtown SJ unlike Phoenix. Total count is bound to change in a real hurry as bunch of new high rises will get underway downtown alone.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:29 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Austin and Raleigh have better public transit than Phoenix IMO.
Having ridden public transportation in Raleigh and Phoenix I have a different opinion. I don't think that Raleigh is even close to the same level in terms of coverage or frequency. Plus Phoenix has light rail that's useful.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would say Houston is worse in the light rail department, especially given its size.

Phoenix is a different kind of city and one that I think has its own charm. A legacy city should not be expected there because it just isn't that kind of place. It's a city that pretty much couldn't even exist, at least being the size that it is, without modern technology.
I've ridden light rail in both Phoenix and Houston and prefer Phoenix. Although Houston's probably hits more destinations, it's really slow.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Orange County CA sucks. 3 million+ no rail at all.
While Part of LA metropolitan area, LA County has been passing rail transit measures to build hundreds of miles of rail but it stops at the county borders since the money is largely paid for by County of LA sales taxes
OC has Metrolink and Metrolink is rail. Plus Amtrak. OC also has a decent bus system. I've ridden public transportation in OC and for a suburban area it's not bad.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:33 AM

842 posts, read 825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Atlanta is terrible with public support for subway/rail, considering its size, economy and influence.

The voters consistently vote against expansion, and the MARTA light rail is essentially the same as it was in the early 80s, with the exception of several stations built north of the Perimeter in the late 1990s or so.
Ugh, my parents moved to Marietta in 1986, and my Mom is still there. I remember back in 1987, while attending Georgia State for one class, wishing Cobb County had a MARTA rail line so I could've just taken the train into downtown Atlanta. Maybe the rising generations will finally reverse the paranoia that has kept the rail lines out of most of the suburban areas and help relieve the traffic problems. I don't know what excuses suburban voters use now for defeating MARTA referendums in the Atlanta suburbs, but back in the 1980's it was blatant racism (all those people from South Atlanta will be riding up here and cause problems).

Old 07-28-2019, 08:42 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
It is normal for low density areas to not have rail transit.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:42 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I'd say Tampa is considerably worse. It has 3 million in the immediate metro area, and well over 4 million in their media market, or what's generally referred to as its greater metro area. It's almost completely decentralized, and has no real plans of mass transit in our lifetimes. Virgin Trains may should one day offer train service to Orlando, but it does nothing for people wanting to get around within the area.

It sucks what's happening with your NIMBYs, but relative to Tampa, Phoenix looks like NYC!
Tampa MSA is 3 million. That's the official Census point of reference. Get tired of many posters on City-data trying to make their areas seem larger, and thus, more significant.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:57 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
San Antonio, Nashville and Austin are kinda bad for cities that are as up and coming as they are. What gives?
What gives is speed of growth, demand for rail, and ability to finance. For example, Arlington, TX, the largest suburb in D/FW at 400,000 residents has repeatedly voted down public transit, in part due to a good road system and cost of driving not being excessive. They also chose to spend their tax dollars on alternatives such as funding for new Texas Rangers and Dallas Cowboys facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City