Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh or Portland, OR? Similar metros.
Pittsburgh 31 57.41%
Portland, OR 23 42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:44 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,893,699 times

Advertisements

Another thread about Pittsburgh got me thinking about this one. The two are almost identical in metro area population. They both have a confluence of major rivers. They both have downtowns that are vibrant and surrounded by hills. They both have major historical industries, timber in Portland, steel in Pittsburgh. Both are kind of the 2nd city in their regions, (Portland vs Seattle), and (Pittsburgh vs Philly). Which city would you prefer? Economy, Cost of Living, Weather, all the usual stuff...I tried to do a poll but getting data-base error. Sorry, finally got the poll up. Mods please merge?

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-06-2019 at 12:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 11:48 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,395,093 times
I prefer Portland over Pittsburgh.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:11 AM

112 posts, read 67,308 times
Portland because it's saffer and has better weather.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:22 AM

4,225 posts, read 3,305,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Another thread about Pittsburgh got me thinking about this one. The two are almost identical in metro area population. They both have a confluence of major rivers. They both have downtowns that are vibrant and surrounded by hills. They both have major historical industries, timber in Portland, steel in Pittsburgh. Both are kind of the 2nd city in their regions, (Portland vs Seattle), and (Pittsburgh vs Philly). Which city would you prefer? Economy, Cost of Living, Weather, all the usual stuff...I tried to do a poll but getting data-base error.
This is an interesting comparison.

Historically, Pittsburgh has been a very bad boy because they outshined coastal establishment darlings without asking permission. Through their unprecedented industrialization they placed themselves in a wealth category with Chicago and New York City (leaving Philadelphia, Boston, and Baltimore in their wake).

That was then, this is now.

Today Portland, under the radar of Joe Suburb, has one of the biggest metro rail systems in the country. Portland can never have the legacy amenities of Pittsburgh, but somehow seems to draw even with their growth and emerging civic identity.

So if you want traditional big cityness-Pittsburgh. If you want newer growth-Portland.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:49 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,689 times
Pittsburgh is a legacy city from the Industrial Revolution. Most of it's population is in the surrounding suburbs, and the city has been reinventing itself (Eds and Meds). It's a rustbelt town, that has been moderately successful at bouncing back.

Portland is more "post modern". It attracts artists, bohemians, and various counter-culture types because it is cheaper than SF.

Pittsburgh being a legacy city means it is much more urbane, and has more prominent cultural amenities. Portland by contrast, attracts a younger, transient, uber progressive-liberal crowd. Portland really didn't start fine tuning it's urbanity until about 15-20 years ago. Before that, Portland was like a more rainy version of Sacramento. Now Portland stands with San Diego, Denver, and Minneapolis.

I prefer Portland, because of it's location and politics.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:10 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,527,684 times
Pittsburgh for sure. It's much less expensive and closer to other regions/metros that I like. I prefer Pittsburgh's snow and cold to Portland's drizzle and dampness. Both are very cloudy, though. The people are very nice in my experience. I also don't like Portland's lack of tolerance. I was in Portland earlier this year and Antifa's presence and influence was very disturbing. They're a very violent group. I saw for myself how they are with no resistance from the local government who turns a blind eye to their hostile actions. Its extreme politics, rampant homelessness, and open drug use are a huge negatives. There's nothing "progressive" about any of that, by its true definition.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:16 AM

37,170 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Pittsburgh is in many ways the better city, but its exurbs are sprawling and there are issues with its air quality. Meanwhile, Portland has large expanses of beautiful forests within city and nearby. Both are nice and hilly.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-06-2019 at 06:41 AM..

Old 12-06-2019, 07:13 AM

9,538 posts, read 16,530,025 times
I lived in Portland for a decade. I both liked and disliked my years there. I liked the general look of the area and the Northwest. The mountains, coast and the big small City of Portland for it's amenities. I could literally walk or take transit all over Metro Portland. I miss that aspect of living in PDX the most. I wasn't forced to drive there to live there. It was for the most part a health conscious city, people always out side or at gyms exercising. I felt the area was much more in tune with the environment than other regions. Certainly alot more than where I retired the Southeast.

Unfortunately my last few years there I left in 2012. I found the city had changed far to much. It's population was primarily the very young now. I noticed far to many people with mental problems wandering all over town. The city had become overly political and intolerant yet preaches tolerance. I found Portland had become a hypocrite and failed to look at itself in the mirror. The homelessness and abusive types on the transit was starting to concern me more and more. I had been pushed on the trains and spit at for not giving change to a homeless man. I thought I cant retire here, this type behavior has become acceptable here. The city has become an overpriced traffic clogged mess. Rather a lawless place with far to many demonstrations. So I decided what I liked about the area, had been taken away from me. I was feeling less and less safe living there. I made plans to leave at retirement. Which is a shame but I think I'm one of many that had to face reality about what Portland became. An overpriced city where social problems are magnified and acceptable. Actually encouraged by Politicians that are not suited to run a city. Quite frankly much of the population seems ok with what I described also. Otherwise the city would be forced to address it's issues.

Pittsburgh I can't really comment on. Other than perhaps i would think personality wise, they would be very different cities.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:54 AM

71 posts, read 45,747 times
Pittsburgh

Old 12-06-2019, 01:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,318,985 times
Portland is one of the most overrated cities in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City