Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are most similar?
Maine & Nova Scotia 9 12.16%
Maine & New Brunswick 11 14.86%
Louisiana & Quebec 1 1.35%
New York & Ontario 3 4.05%
Michigan & Ontario 6 8.11%
North Dakota & Manitoba 3 4.05%
Minnesota & Manitoba 1 1.35%
Montana & Saskatchewan 0 0%
Nebraska & Saskatchewan 0 0%
Colorado & Alberta 3 4.05%
Texas & Alberta 0 0%
Washington & British Colombia 34 45.95%
Oregon & British Colombia 0 0%
Other 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 02:53 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times

Advertisements

Discuss.

Tried to include what I thought might be obvious choices in the poll, but other combos are up for debate as well.

Edit: If I could add another poll option, it might be Vermont & PEI. But it’s a bit of a stretch, especially compared to some of the other pairs.

I couldn’t think of any legit US counterpart for Newfoundland & Labrador. Quebec was tricky too.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 01-23-2020 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 04:45 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
WA and BC first.

ME andn Nova Scotia too.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I would have said practically any New England state and any of the maritime provinces.

I don't know about WA and BC--never been there.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:55 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I would have said practically any New England state and any of the maritime provinces.

Yeah when the CAT ran, I remember hearing how similar ME/MA were with NS

Old 01-23-2020, 05:01 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I would agree with you there and I've been to both. New England seems more similar to its neighboring Canadian provinces than Washington is to BC. I'm not really sure why WA/BC is winning this poll. I imagine it's because both are in the broader "Pacific Northwest" but there are a ton of differences between the two places.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Maine and New Brunswick.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:42 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I imagine it's because both are in the broader "Pacific Northwest" but there are a ton of differences between the two places.
What kind of differences?

Old 01-23-2020, 06:46 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
This one is pretty clear to me. Washington State and British Columbia. Basically both a continuation of each other in both directions. From the inland waterways to the coastal ranges to the Cascades to the dry eastern sections. Both have big international cities, both have similar weather, both are dependent on agriculture in their eastern regions.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:51 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
My analysis:

Seattle-Vancouver
Interior BC--Palouse of Eastern Washington
Rural Alberta--Montana
Urban Alberta--Colorado
1. Thunder Bay--Duluth/Superior
2. Sault Ste. Marie--Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
3. London--Cleaveland?
4. Toronto--Chicago for sure, but throw in a LOT more Chinese people
5. Quebec--really its own thing
6. New Brunswick--interior Maine
7. Nova Scotia--Coastal Maine
8. Halifax--Portland, ME

Old 01-23-2020, 07:03 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Default !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
What kind of differences?
1. Vancouver having tons more Chinese and vastly better Chinese food.
2. Vancouver having a far better rail transit system than Seattle.
3. Seattle having a much better job market than Vancouver. Much larger tech and aerospace industries in Seattle, basically nothing but real estate speculation and tourism in Vancouver. (Even Lionsgate film studio couldn't stay in Vancouver long).
4. No state income tax in Seattle. Taxation in Canada is higher than in Washington state across the board BECAUSE CANADA DOESN'T HAVE TRUMP TAX CUTS.
5. Gas prices in British Columbia are the highest in the U.S. and Canada--because British Columbia is an ultra-leftist treehugging mecca, even by Canadian standards (wait, that actually sounds like Washington state).
6. Seattle having more Hispanics and Blacks than Canada.

To be fair, all of these differences are basically just economic, ethnic, and political differences between the U.S. and Canada as a whole. Otherwise, Washington and BC are very, very similar. Not to mention that the MAIN REASON why Washington state has lower taxes and doesn't have universal healthcare is because of the federal government. Were Washington state or California or Massachusetts their own countries, they'd easily be as far to the left as Canada.

But yeah, the average white Seattle resident is virtually identical to the average white Vancouver resident when it comes to culture. Even the accents are identical, except maybe a couple of words. But I grew up in California and lived there my entire life, and I still say a few words like "leisure," "narrator," and "judiciary" differently from my friends. And I still don't consider myself as having an accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City