Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 10:50 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,530,672 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas and Orlando: which one do you think as a city can diversify it's economy and reputation in the next few decades apart from their reputations as strictly entertainment capitals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 12:07 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,962,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Las Vegas and Orlando: which one do you think as a city can diversify it's economy and reputation in the next few decades apart from their reputations as strictly entertainment capitals?
Orlando already has. There is much more to the Metro than tourism, with many more white collar jobs than Vegas in all sectors. Take a look at the differences between their Downtown's for proof. I've also never seen any equivalent to Maitland Center or Lake Mary in Vegas, which are stand-alone suburban corporate districts not related to Downtown.

Orlando is one of the most underrated and misunderstood Metro's in the country here.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:23 AM

3,914 posts, read 2,227,680 times
Interesting topic! Based on my own personal perceptions (have been to both) and what I've read, I'll say Orlando.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:46 PM

3,180 posts, read 2,229,133 times
Perhaps these areas have a similar reputation, but their reality is quite different. From recent census data (2014-2018 ACS):

The industry category Arts, entertainment, and recreation, and accommodation and food services accounts for 28.1% of jobs in metro Las Vegas, and 17.6% in metro Orlando. This isn't even remotely close.

Also the proportion with a bachelor's degree or higher is 23.9% in Las Vegas and 31.3% in Orlando. On this metric, greater Orlando is about equal to the national average, and Orange and Seminole counties which include much of the region's core are a little higher. As long as Las Vegas lags behind so far in educational attainment, they are unlikely to develop much of a white collar employment sector.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:50 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,978,603 times
Tesla HQ/gigafactory might be moving to Vegas...or maybe it will stay in California... or move to Reno... or Texas.

But in the meantime, Vegas is growing very fast, but seemingly as a retirement destination and colony for former Southern Californians. The road between LA and Las Vegas is insanely clogged on holidays.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:00 PM

747 posts, read 500,533 times
Orlando’s economy is already much more diverse than ignorant people give it credit for. It isn’t just an entertainment hub anymore and hasn’t been since like the early 2000s. It’s been in the top 10 in job growth in nearly every major field, from STEM to construction to medicine and literally dozens more for almost the entire decade. Whether or not the narrative shifts is irrelevant I think.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:46 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,876,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I know this is mainly an economic question but I had to say that Orlando was the cleanest city I have ever been in.

Orlando seems to have a more diverse economy than Las Vegas.

Orlando seems less cyclical than Las Vegas overall with more much diverse economy.

Las Vegas economic good times seem to be better than Orlando but Orlando isn't impacted as much by recessions overall.

It looks like so far in 2020, that with this recession that Orlando has had no where near the percentage of job loss as Las Vegas.

Las Vegas seems to have a depression when the nation has a recession, while Orlando tends to mirror the nation economically but they seem to have more good economic years than many other areas.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/southeas...rlando_msa.htm

https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/nv_lasvegas_msa.htm

Las Vegas doesn't seem to want to diversity their economy much. They talk about it each time they have a national recession which is usually a depression for Las Vegas.

Orlando has one of the largest universities in the country, seems to have quite a manufacturing and trade jobs. Low regulations mean lots of construction also.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:46 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,642,326 times
I never thought much about Orlando until I moved here from Miami (with a giant arrogant chip on my shoulder).
There is so much more to this place than Disney. It took me a while to appreciate this place and there is a whole other side to this city beyond the theme parks.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:45 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,187,603 times
Bobdreamz...is in Orlando!! Wow! Good luck man!

And yes, I agree regarding Orlando. Definitely the parks and tourism in general are very significant there, but it's only one facet of the overall region.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,962,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Bobdreamz...is in Orlando!! Wow! Good luck man!

And yes, I agree regarding Orlando. Definitely the parks and tourism in general are very significant there, but it's only one facet of the overall region.
I moved to Atlanta from Orlando years ago. I love it here, but there are still things I miss - and always will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City