Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city could have really been much more?
Cincinatti 12 11.76%
Buffalo 3 2.94%
Pittsburgh 3 2.94%
Cleveland 11 10.78%
Chicago 3 2.94%
St. Louis 37 36.27%
Baltimore 15 14.71%
Kansas City 4 3.92%
Detroit 12 11.76%
Milwaukee 2 1.96%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:29 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,660,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
St. Louis' last streetcar made its last trip to the carbarn in 1963, and thus the city had to start from scratch when it decided it needed a light metro after all.
Actually the last STL streetcar (Hodiamont line) made its final trip in 1966, which is actually later than most of its peer cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 03:49 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times
Just curious... how much more could Chicago be? Its already a top #3-4 American city.

Further, Chicago stole a lot of thunder from St. Louis, which I think is more or less the winner of this poll.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:55 PM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Just curious... how much more could Chicago be? Its already a top #3-4 American city.

Further, Chicago stole a lot of thunder from St. Louis, which I think is more or less the winner of this poll.
Pretty sure St Louis riverboat operates actively fought the Rail Road which bit them in the backside.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:12 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,826,948 times
I voted Cincinnati.

Saint Louis truly was a special case of stupid. They bulldozed dozens of historic rowhome neighborhoods and replaced them with crime-filled project highrises. Coupled with urban renewal, was the hubris of the place.

They split off from Saint Louis County in 1877 because they didn't want to "share the wealth" only for de-industrialization and the loss of Mississippi River importance to bite them hard 70 years later. Then they realized how awful being a death spiral independent city can be.

Couple it with corruption (Lacy Clay included), and a really myopic political elite and you have the makings of Saint Louis - one of the most depressing failures in American urban history.

But Cincinnati I think had far more potential.

In 1840, it was the 6th largest city in America, only surpassed by: Baltimore, Boston, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia. It had 2.5 times more people than Saint Louis and 12x Chicago. It was THE Midwest city.

It never had to lose that title. It could have become what Chicago became. But even though Northeast cities were able to maintain their industrial and commercial wealth even when the nation moved West, Cincinnati failed horrifically.

By 1890, Chicago would have 1.2 million. Cincinnati would have 296,000, or the same it had in 2010, 120 years later.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:09 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,062,057 times
Cincy! It built a subway, then never used it!!

Old 07-01-2020, 05:49 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
They all peaked decades ago. The worst is St. Louis. Chicago recovered the best, but still not what it should be today. St. Louis had a lot of potential, but crime, segregation, poor leadership, etc. derailed its trajectory. I don't see any of the cities booming or passing the current comparable boomtowns.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The funny thing about Kansas City is, its population is once again approaching its 1970 peak of just over 507,000.

But the city does seem to have lost the momentum it had in the 1960s and early 1970s. The city fathers annexed lots of land from the end of WWII up to the 1970s in anticipation that it would expand out into the cornfields, but they didn't reckon with the same depopulation in the core that St. Louis experienced.

And where voters enthusiastically approved several major public facilities in the 1960s, attempts to build similar facilities now have proven difficult to effect at best. Of course, this could be because the most successful of the facilities the voters did agree to build, the Power & Light District, will be a drain on the city treasury for decades to come, contrary to what its promoters had promised.
Kansas City is doing great, so I don't understand that option. I wouldn't be surprised if CSA passes 3 million in 20 years. In fact, it surpassing Saint Louis is a near certainty before 2050 in my opinion.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:54 PM

Optimistic about...Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh
Neutral about...Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee
Pessimistic about...Baltimore, Cleveland, Saint Louis

Old 07-01-2020, 06:40 PM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I voted Cincinnati.

Saint Louis truly was a special case of stupid. They bulldozed dozens of historic rowhome neighborhoods and replaced them with crime-filled project highrises. Coupled with urban renewal, was the hubris of the place.

They split off from Saint Louis County in 1877 because they didn't want to "share the wealth" only for de-industrialization and the loss of Mississippi River importance to bite them hard 70 years later. Then they realized how awful being a death spiral independent city can be.

Couple it with corruption (Lacy Clay included), and a really myopic political elite and you have the makings of Saint Louis - one of the most depressing failures in American urban history.

But Cincinnati I think had far more potential.

In 1840, it was the 6th largest city in America, only surpassed by: Baltimore, Boston, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia. It had 2.5 times more people than Saint Louis and 12x Chicago. It was THE Midwest city.

It never had to lose that title. It could have become what Chicago became. But even though Northeast cities were able to maintain their industrial and commercial wealth even when the nation moved West, Cincinnati failed horrifically.

By 1890, Chicago would have 1.2 million. Cincinnati would have 296,000, or the same it had in 2010, 120 years later.
One big thing that happened was during the Civil War River Traffic crashed and got replaced by Trains as its outlet (New Orleans) was hostile. This hurt all the River cities a lot post war. It was something beyond Cincinnati’s individual control.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:20 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,309,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Chicago began to rival NYC in population in the 1920's-30's....it got passed by Los Angeles as it lost nearly a million people and is now dealing with being a peer to Houston. I'm pretty sure that's not the future they had in mind in the roaring 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City