Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:14 PM

159 posts, read 784,822 times

Advertisements

I moved to AZ for 5 months last year, and it is HOOOOOT. I mean hot. I lived in SA most of my life, so I know Texas heat. You would have thought I was from Canada with the way I was acting. Dry heat...wet heat...WHAT...man hot is hot and AZ is the devil's taint. My first night there....no joke...101 degrees and midnight. I moved back before I could see what a AZ winter was like.....mabe its like Brazile in July
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 07:49 PM

260 posts, read 1,144,868 times
In AZ we used to say " If you can't stand the summers you don't deserve the winters. " Winters are lovely and very popular with the golfing scene.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:32 PM

351 posts, read 1,584,785 times
Hi,

I hate to think about what is coming up for me this summer after the last two. Sitting here in Baghdad, the hottest I have been through was 138 deg. f. (August 2006). I would love summer 2007 to only get to 110 deg.

Laughed at what 210 said about the oven, I always compared being over here to walking inside of a giant laundry drier.

Funny thing is, San Antonio is on the same Longitude as Baghdad, thier weather is very similar most of the year.

Sorry, if I got off track, the grass is always greener.

crazedchef

Old 02-17-2007, 04:41 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
SA heat is more humid than Arizona heat.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:47 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,553,358 times
(newbie here, been reading for a couple of weeks, but this one strikes a chord.)
I grew up in Phoenix and couldn't wait to get out. After about 18 years of oppresive heat, I'd had enough. Then moved to "paradise" (Huntington Beach, Ca) and have now been in San Antonio about 8-1/2 years. I can definately tell you... Phoenix is more difficult. Sure it's "dry heat", but would you stand in an oven that's set at 120 degrees? (You'll sometimes see locals wearing t-shirts with two skeletons on lawn chairs, with the caption "yeah, but it's a dry heat!" hee hee!) That's what it's like. So far, most folks have mentioned 110 degrees, but truthfully, most days from mid-June to late August get well over 110. There are many 115 and several 117. It's a *huge* difference! And like somebody else said, it's still 100 at midnight. 100 degrees with dry heat during the day is quite manageble, 110 with dry heat and nights that cool down to the 70's is delightful, 117 until 5:00, and then only "down" to 100 all night - unbearable. Took me several years to get somewhat used to the humidity here (still not totally used to it), but you don't hear daily on the news about some senior citizen that died of heat exhaustion from trying to work in their yard at noon here!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:36 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,698 times
Default Yuma, Az

I was raised in Yuma, Az for 18 years. For those that don't know, Yuma is one of the hottest places in the states, next to Death Valley. I've been in SA for 9 years and would much prefer SA heat over Az any day.

But lets be realistic, I am in the heat very little during the summer, I get in my AC having vehicle, come to my AC having office, go to my AC having home. I plan around the 2p.m - 6p.m in the summer time and don't feel it too much.

1*Ranch

Old 02-19-2007, 06:00 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,882,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
Hey Everybody,

I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 4 years (in Glendale, precisely, the hottest City in AZ). I will tell you now (having lived in San Antonio for 2 summers) that S.A. is BY FAR nothing compared to the hellish heat of Arizona. San Antonio has nothing on Phx. That 'dry heat' arguement is bogus. S.A. humidity is not real humidity. Go to Florida or Alabama or Louisiana or Houston (real gulf regions) and yeah, humidiy is a factor. S.A. has great weather, feels like Malibu in the Summer time (I grew up in Malibu).

Hope this helps.
I have to agree with Doc. I visited AZ frequently on business and loved it when I returned to the cool of SA.
I vacationed in Florida and left after 2 days. I would just sit there and sweat, that's bad. At least here there is a repreve with AC and getting into the shade if your outside.
I love the weather in Sa, the heat in the summer and the usual lack of cold in winter.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:29 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,021 times
I live in Austin now and lived in Phoenix for 4 years. The heat is much more unbearable in Phoenix because during the hot months (usually 6 months) it can be well over 100 by 8 a.m. and will still be over 100 at midnight. It NEVER feels cool. While the humidity is much higher here in central Texas, I've found that it doesn't get up to the 100 mark until at least around lunchtime on the really hot days, so you can try to escape out in the a.m. and do a few things. Much more tolerable and livable - no contest.

People who say they've spent a few days in Phoenix in the 110+ degree weather don't really understand what it's like to spend a whole summer there. I was a total sun worshipper before living in Phoenix and it was never "too hot" for me. Then I spent my first summer in Phoenix and I couldn't believe people actually chose to live in that weather!

Old 02-19-2007, 07:14 PM

94 posts, read 654,529 times
How long is the heat wave in SA. ??

Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 AM

97 posts, read 229,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Hi,

I hate to think about what is coming up for me this summer after the last two. Sitting here in Baghdad, the hottest I have been through was 138 deg. f. (August 2006). I would love summer 2007 to only get to 110 deg.

Laughed at what 210 said about the oven, I always compared being over here to walking inside of a giant laundry drier.

Funny thing is, San Antonio is on the same Longitude as Baghdad, thier weather is very similar most of the year.

Sorry, if I got off track, the grass is always greener.

crazedchef
Ahh.. 'ya know what..? I am sort of a 'weather nut' - I know a bit about climates & world temp's.. Just fyi, the highest temp on earth.. officially.. was 'only' 136 occurred in 1922 in Al' Aziziya, Libya, and in the USA it reached 134 at Death Valley. Now, you might see 138 in your tent. It would be just as hot here in AZ. Officially, Phoenix has recorded 122 - in the shade. All 'official' temps are shade temps. But.. in the sun.. and we have little shade here.. it easily reaches 150.. 160.. and even a bit higher. On an oven thermometer.. the only one capable of reading those temps

I did see that Baghdad had a little snow last winter.. something I have never seen in Phoenix.

It has also reached 100 in March here

Hopefully, you are safely back from Iraq by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City