Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More beautiful peak?
Humphreys Peak 7 43.75%
Mount Mitchell 7 43.75%
Tie 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 03:16 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,966,431 times

Advertisements

I have not been to either mountain, just drove in their general vicinity.

But here are two mountains, both the highest peak in their respective states. Humphreys, despite being almost twice as tall as Mount Mitchell, actually has almost the same prominence than Mount Mitchell.

As people have said, it's the prominence, not the elevation, of a mountain that makes it more scenic. The bigger the prominence, the more beautiful the mountain is. Since these two mountains have virtually the same prominence, it would stand to reason that Mount Mitchell is indeed as beautiful as Humphreys Peak, unless we count other factors, such as vegetation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 04:16 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,966,431 times
I think in terms of the mountains majesty, both are identical, as they have almost the same prominence. I think which mountain you prefer depends on what kind of vegetation you prefer.

If you like forests, then Mt Mitchell is for you. If you like Alpine tundra, then Humphreys is for you, because it extends above the tree line and tends to have more snow for more months of the year.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:27 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Prominence is often misleading simply because most people don't know how it's calculated. Prominence is not a measure of grandiosity or anything like that. It's simply a measurement of how isolated a mountain peak is.

Prominence is calculated using the lowest point (key col) on an imaginary ridgeline between a peak and its parent.

Mount Mitchell is the highest point in the Appalachians. Its parent peak is Divide Mountain - almost 2000 miles away in the Montana Rockies. The key col is the Chicago Ship and Sanitary Canal (yes, Illinois) - elevation 595'.
6684-595=6089.

Mount Mitchell doesn't stand out on its own. There are peaks all around it. It owes its prominence to the fact it's the highest point in the Appalachians. That's it.

Another misleading example of prominence - Mount Princeton in Colorado. It is a massive mountain that towers roughly 6,000 feet over the town of Buena Vista. You cannot miss it driving into the Arkansas Valley from South Park. Its prominence - 2157'. Why? The lowest point between it and its parent (Mount Harvard) is Browns Pass, 12,040'. It's also not isolated. It's nearest higher neighbor is Mount Antero - 72' higher, and only 5 miles to the south.

Mountains really need a calculation similar to what broadcast towers use HAAT - Height Above Average Terrain.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:42 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Humphreys for me, while the prominence may be similar the isolation of the SF peaks as a dormant volcano along with the jagged shape makes it far more interesting to me. I also appreciate the vegetation variance allotted at Humphrey's given it's massive elevation, it is home to the only Tundra environment in Arizona.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hu...1BCgIgAQ?hl=en

Last edited by locolife; 08-13-2020 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-14-2020, 03:21 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,940,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Prominence is often misleading simply because most people don't know how it's calculated. Prominence is not a measure of grandiosity or anything like that. It's simply a measurement of how isolated a mountain peak is.

Prominence is calculated using the lowest point (key col) on an imaginary ridgeline between a peak and its parent.

Mount Mitchell is the highest point in the Appalachians. Its parent peak is Divide Mountain - almost 2000 miles away in the Montana Rockies. The key col is the Chicago Ship and Sanitary Canal (yes, Illinois) - elevation 595'.
6684-595=6089.

Mount Mitchell doesn't stand out on its own. There are peaks all around it. It owes its prominence to the fact it's the highest point in the Appalachians. That's it.

Another misleading example of prominence - Mount Princeton in Colorado. It is a massive mountain that towers roughly 6,000 feet over the town of Buena Vista. You cannot miss it driving into the Arkansas Valley from South Park. Its prominence - 2157'. Why? The lowest point between it and its parent (Mount Harvard) is Browns Pass, 12,040'. It's also not isolated. It's nearest higher neighbor is Mount Antero - 72' higher, and only 5 miles to the south.

Mountains really need a calculation similar to what broadcast towers use HAAT - Height Above Average Terrain.
Great point, and a good description of how prominence sounds more descriptive than the actual definition. The examples that you used were good, as well- Princeton (and other Collegiate Peaks) look much more impressive in this regard than on paper. Another one that sticks in my mind is Mt. Sopris, which to me is maybe the most impressive mountain in the state of CO, but is connected to and lower than some of the other West Elks and therefore suffers in prominence numbers.

Back to this competition, it's a tough one for me. I've never been to the top of Humphrey's Peak, but I've driven by many times, and nearly every season. I like the striking contrast between peak and surrounding high desert, and I'm sure the tundra at the highest elevations is cool to experience. So I find it to be a very impressive peak.

That said, I'm quite familiar with Mount Mitchell, and while I agree that the official prominence is misleading due to its place as the highest mountain in the east, it's also no slouch. It's not much higher than the surrounding mountain, true, but the Black Mountains are substantially higher than the surrounding ranges by 3,000'+, and tower impressively over the foothills. I used to regularly drive from Marion, NC (1,400') to the top of Mount Mitchell (6,684'), and going up a vertical mile in an hour drive- especially on the east coast- is an impressive little trip. Not to mention, the foliage and climate of a sub-alpine spruce and fir forest is a rarity in the Southeastern US!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City