Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which group do you overall prefer?!
I Love Eastern: Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Miami. 39 44.83%
I Love Western: Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas and Phoenix. 24 27.59%
Quite Frankly I Love Central: Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, and New Orleans. 12 13.79%
My Favorite Cities Aren't Listed (Let Us Know In Comments!). 5 5.75%
They All Fare About Equally To Me 7 8.05%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 05:14 PM

795 posts, read 482,559 times

Advertisements

Just a random poll with 8 VERY Eastern US Cities vs 8 VERY Western US Cities.

Voting can include all criteria including: where you would rather travel, live, your favorites, most amenities, etc. I realize some may favor some cities from each side, but voting is limited to one choice. Comment which you chose, and what cities from the other side are your favorites, etc. Just a random topic to discuss some of the cities here.

8 Eastern US Cities: Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Charlotte, Atlanta and Miami.

8 Western US Cities: Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas and Phoenix.

Also Included Central US Cities: Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Nashville, Dallas, Houston and New Orleans.

I already know some posters are going to wonder why this was created. I just though it would be interesting and fun to see overall which cities are the more popular group.

PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL AND FRIENDLY FOLKS, JUST A FRIENDLY POLL

*This is only a one vote poll*

Last edited by CinderFella7; 08-12-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 05:29 PM

515 posts, read 252,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post

Voting can include all criteria including: where you would rather travel, live, your favorites, most amenities, etc. I realize some may favor some cities from each side, but voting is limited to one choice. Comment which you chose, and what cities from the other side are your favorites, etc. Just a random topic to discuss some of the cities here.

8 Eastern US Cities: Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Charlotte, Atlanta and Miami.

8 Western US Cities: Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas and Phoenix.

I already know some posters are going to wonder why this was created. I just though it would be interesting and fun to see overall which cities are the more popular group.

PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL AND FRIENDLY FOLKS
I'd rather travel West but that's because I've not traveled the West Coast like the East Coast. I love warm weather and outdoor activities so Miami, LA, SD, Atlanta, Charlotte, and the Southern cities are more my thing, but all 16 have much to offer to people and you can't go wrong with them. Transit probably goes East Coast, Cost of Living East Coast, Things to do (for me) West Coast, QOL probably West Coast, So livability is a wash too. I wish there was an option for both West and East but not central, just not as big a fan.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:32 PM

795 posts, read 482,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
I'd rather travel West but that's because I've not traveled the West Coast like the East Coast. I love warm weather and outdoor activities so Miami, LA, SD, Atlanta, Charlotte, and the Southern cities are more my thing, but all 16 have much to offer to people and you can't go wrong with them. Transit probably goes East Coast, Cost of Living East Coast, Things to do (for me) West Coast, QOL probably West Coast, So livability is a wash too
Thank you for commenting! I agree - each grouping has strong qualities for the vote so I found it a fair match-up. I'm curious which will come out with more votes.

Edit: I should have made more poll options to include East/Central, West/Central, Just East/West. I apologize for the brain fart.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:52 PM

330 posts, read 293,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post

Also Included Central US Cities: Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Nashville, Dallas, Houston and New Orleans.

PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL AND FRIENDLY FOLKS, JUST A FRIENDLY POLL

*This is only a one vote poll*
As a west coaster living on the east coast who have traveled to all the listed major east coast(all except for Charlotte) and west coast cities over the years, I love them both for different reasons. But I enjoy being on the east coast more than on the west coast. East Coast has NYC, which is one of a kind city you can’t find anywhere else in this country. East coast cities have more architectural beauty, more culture, more history and the major cities in the NE corridor are far more urban and walkable. With just a short drive on the I95, you can find countless number of beautiful, historical small towns that are really worth exploring. While I love the natural beauty and the weather on the west coast, I find the cultural, historical, urban and architectural beauty of the east coast cities more appealing.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 08-12-2020 at 06:05 PM..

Old 08-12-2020, 05:58 PM

747 posts, read 497,450 times
East coast bias for me.

I do like the idea and weather of the west coast but I’m an east coast guy. Not personally a fan of the idea of many of the Midwest cities.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:06 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Western cities, especially the desert Southwest. That’s always been my happy place. Seattle and Portland are kinda meh, not hating on them, they’re still my west coast homies. Desert places really speak to my heart for some reason. And while not without problems, the SF Bay Area will always be home. Los Angeles feels a lot like home too.

Of the East Coast cities you listed, I really like DC’s vibe. A lot of folks hate on it for its height limits and architecture, but I like the look. It’s a very classic urban city, much more like large cities before skyscrapers. Miami of course has that Latin and Caribbean vibe plus I like Florida anyway (there, I said it). Hard pass on the northeastern cities. Atlanta could be neat, except it grew too fast lol the traffic is horrendous, and I think that’s at least partly why folks there lack the southern charm and hospitality.

The Midwest does have Chicago, though, which if I’m in the right mood, could be my favorite single city in the entire US.

Last edited by jcp123; 08-12-2020 at 06:19 PM..

Old 08-12-2020, 06:13 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
All of the Eastern cities have that comfort inducing quality to them. I really do need to be out West more but NY and DC have (had before Covid-19) flights every hour out of A-Town as well as South Florida, and Philly, B-More, and Boston was simple to get to.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:18 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
I chose "Quite Frankly I Love Central," but "I Love Eastern" is good too.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:57 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
For fun I created a very rudimentary rubric for myself to rank these large groups.

First I gave each city a "desirability score" from 0-5 of my own personal desirability. The scores all ranged from 2 to 5, ie, no cities are altogether undesirable to me. A 2 basically meant I'd be ok with living there.

Then I very quickly ran through all the groups to determine if the group as a whole offered options for a handful of needs. Meaning, if I needed a particular thing/amenity/vibe how readily available is it in that group. These categories were

-warm winters
-low COL
-world class nightlife
-international business presence
-Beaches or similar
-world class arts and culture

I gave each group a "variety score" from 0-4 based on how available each of those things were, and then divided all the category scores by 2 before adding it to the sum of the city scores, giving me the final group score.

Eastern Cities scored the highest on the "desirability scores." Western scored second. Central scored third.
After factoring in the "variety score," Eastern still came out on top, but Central was second and Western was third. The difference between top and bottom was 2 points. I guess I love all cities, but the eastern group the most.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:28 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
I like all areas of the US, California and Arizona are beautiful as are the surrounding states and so are the Eastern areas but I chose the East because of the mountains, forests, hundreds of charming townships and history and ocean but most of all because of NYC, it’s magical to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City