Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Big city feel category
Tier A 12 24.00%
Tier B 38 76.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 08:46 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,279,474 times

Advertisements

It is often repeated here that San Diego is a big city with a without the big city feel you would get in sunbelt cities like Atlanta, Miami, Houston and Dallas. That said, Would you classify the feeling of SD with

Tier A:
(True mid-sized metros with small city feels)
Charlotte, Orlando, Pitt, Cleveland

Tier B:
(Not huge cities, but places that are universally considered big cities)
Seattle, Tampa, Detroit, Denver

Big city feel criterions:

Skyline:
Cosmopolitan:
Flashiness:
Agressive/ indifferent personality types:
Strong bustling urban core:
Varied and vibrant nightlife:
Transit:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 09:18 AM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
Tough thread. My overall impression is that San Diego slides into the Tier B category based on population, economics, and its overall regional influence which extends into another country.

Skyline: Not bad, but like Tampa it resembles cities under 2 million rather than its peer group.
Cosmopolitan: Tier B
Flashiness: Tier B
Agressive/ indifferent personality types: San Diego feels moderate and not too controversial like some cities. San Diego is certainly not aggressive.
Strong bustling urban core: Tier B. San Diego has improved greatly in the last 20 years. Downtown is active and full of new business activity.
Varied and vibrant nightlife: Tier B
Transit: Tier A. The city is in need of infrastructure upgrades and light rail expansion.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:26 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,967,735 times
I'd say that San Diego, for a metro of three million, has a larger than average transit system in the form of the San Diego Trolley.

Now San Diego is in one of the, if not the, most pro density, anti sprawl, and pro transit states in the country (NYC was forced to be dense, not a matter of policy but a matter of history). But ironically, all that political will and push for density and transit isn't super effective, because San Diego Airport is right next to Downtown SD, so there's a five hundred foot height restriction. As such, the skyline is actually pretty underwhelming even compared to smaller, Southern cities that are in far more conservative, pro sprawl, anti transit states. Places like Austin, Charlotte, or Nashville have smaller metro areas yet taller skylines and at least as many high rises as San Diego. Of course, San Diego also has to deal with earthquakes, which limit high rise construction.

One can only imagine how massive the San Diego skyline would be if California didn't have earthquakes and the airport was further from Downtown. San Diego has a big rail transit system for a city of its size and the system would just be incredibly packed if only it were cheaper and easier to build high rises. With some of the most expensive real estate in the country, high rise development would be extremely profitable in San Diego, were it not for expensive seismic codes and height restrictions.

All that said, San Diego does have a pretty darn dense urban core, lots of high rise condos and pedestrians. Very walkable.

San Diego definitely has some very ritzy parts like La Jolla, Black Mountain Ranch, Pacific Highlands, Carmel Mountain, and Torrey Pines that could compete with Newport, Laguna Beach, and Dana Point in terms of wealth.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:27 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,988,215 times
I’ve been to all and all of those feel pretty similar to me except Detroit feels a bit bigger. Denver punches above its weight being a regional center. Orlando and Tampa probably the opposite because they are so near to each other. Absent tiers, which I think are off, I’d have it:

Detroit

Seattle/Denver
San Diego

Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Tampa
Orlando
Charlotte

Old 08-07-2020, 09:49 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
Tier B...I’d liken it more to a Portland (patchwork of neighborhoods, though Portland slightly more urban in my books) meets Tampa.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:49 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,713,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I’ve been to all and all of those feel pretty similar to me except Detroit feels a bit bigger. Denver punches above its weight being a regional center. Orlando and Tampa probably the opposite because they are so near to each other. Absent tiers, which I think are off, I’d have it:

Detroit

Seattle/Denver
San Diego

Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Tampa
Orlando
Charlotte
Agreed.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,882,561 times
San Diego is denser and more urban than people think, and has arguably the second-best downtown in California.

Seattle doesn't belong with that list. It has by far the largest downtown, by far the highest urban core density, and by far the highest transit use.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,279,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

Detroit

Seattle/Denver
San Diego

Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Tampa
Orlando
Charlotte
Seattle feels similar to Charlotte and Orlando in feel?

Old 08-07-2020, 10:18 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Seattle feels similar to Charlotte and Orlando in feel?
Not at all. Seattle is anything but sprawly.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:23 AM

721 posts, read 494,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
It is often repeated here that San Diego is a big city with a without the big city feel you would get in sunbelt cities like Atlanta, Miami, Houston and Dallas. That said, Would you classify the feeling of SD with

Tier A:
(True mid-sized metros with small city feels)
Charlotte, Orlando, Pitt, Cleveland

Tier B:
(Not huge cities, but places that are universally considered big cities)
Seattle, Tampa, Detroit, Denver

Big city feel criterions:

Skyline:
Cosmopolitan:
Flashiness:
Agressive/ indifferent personality types:
Strong bustling urban core:
Varied and vibrant nightlife:
Transit:
None of those cities in Tier A feel small at all. They all feel their appropriate size..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City