Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city could have really been much more?
Cincinatti 12 11.76%
Buffalo 3 2.94%
Pittsburgh 3 2.94%
Cleveland 11 10.78%
Chicago 3 2.94%
St. Louis 37 36.27%
Baltimore 15 14.71%
Kansas City 4 3.92%
Detroit 12 11.76%
Milwaukee 2 1.96%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 12:49 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,309,497 times

Advertisements

It's widely assumed that the cities that peaked around 1950 and then began declining were at the summit of their powers at their peak. Most of these cities are classified as "rust belt."

Did any of them actually not realize their potential before their decline as assumed? It has to be self-inflicted damage, not "well St. Louis was doing X and then Chicago did Y so...."

This poll was inspired by a YT video I watched where the creator explained how Cincinnati could be so much more but the way the city is planned hinders urban growth.

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 01:12 PM

4,406 posts, read 4,304,724 times
St. Louis has always been the one that stood out to me. Hard to believe it was once the 4th largest city in the country. I feel like it should have become pretty close to what Chicago is now. It just never happened.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:15 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,185,198 times
I would say St. Louis and Detroit. Both cities failed to build legacy rail transit, made huge urban renewal blunders, abandoned the core for extreme suburban sprawl. Cincinnati and Pittsburgh have seemed to whether the storm a little better in my opinion. The avoided a lot of the extreme poverty and urban crime that you see in Detroit and St. Louis. Today, I would say Cincinnati and Pittsburgh function well at their current sizes. St. Louis and Detroit would need to literally double their current populations to have a density that matches their infrastructure.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:16 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,185,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
St. Louis has always been the one that stood out to me. Hard to believe it was once the 4th largest city in the country. I feel like it should have become pretty close to what Chicago is now. It just never happened.
Agreed, St. Louis should be like the Boston of the Midwest. Detroit should be something more similar to Philadelphia. De-industrialization and urban renewal really tapered their trajectories.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:17 PM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Detroit was such a flash in the pan it’s insane it would have been very cool for the city to be a center for culture for more than a couple decades.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:19 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,719,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Detroit should be something more similar to Philadelphia.
^^^I agree with this. And it was at its peak.

As far as the question for this topic itself, it's really subjective. It's hard to imagine what may have been, because of so many different variables that were at play.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I would say St. Louis and Detroit. Both cities failed to build legacy rail transit, made huge urban renewal blunders, abandoned the core for extreme suburban sprawl. Cincinnati and Pittsburgh have seemed to whether the storm a little better in my opinion. The avoided a lot of the extreme poverty and urban crime that you see in Detroit and St. Louis. Today, I would say Cincinnati and Pittsburgh function well at their current sizes. St. Louis and Detroit would need to literally double their current populations to have a density that matches their infrastructure.
St. Louis has a very impressive interurban rail system for the midwest. Are you talking about pre war streetcars?

Old 07-01-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Yeah, I get that feeling too. Did Chicago gain the advantage through annexation? Don't know. Both cities declined but it seems St. Louis has the much more significant geographic location, but times change and rivers became less important.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:36 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
St. Louis has a very impressive interurban rail system for the midwest. Are you talking about pre war streetcars?
ISTR that, like Pittsburgh did, St. Louis also drew up a plan for rapid transit to serve the city just before World War I.

Pittsburgh took as long as St. Louis did to actually build its light metro system, but unlike Pittsburgh, it had made no attempt to upgrade its streetcar system between that first proposal and the time the new line opened. Pittsburgh still had three (four?) functioning LRT lines that could feed the central subway tunnel by the time the city started work on it in the mid-1970s. St. Louis' last streetcar made its last trip to the carbarn in 1963, and thus the city had to start from scratch when it decided it needed a light metro after all.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:41 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
The funny thing about Kansas City is, its population is once again approaching its 1970 peak of just over 507,000.

But the city does seem to have lost the momentum it had in the 1960s and early 1970s. The city fathers annexed lots of land from the end of WWII up to the 1970s in anticipation that it would expand out into the cornfields, but they didn't reckon with the same depopulation in the core that St. Louis experienced.

And where voters enthusiastically approved several major public facilities in the 1960s, attempts to build similar facilities now have proven difficult to effect at best. Of course, this could be because the most successful of the facilities the voters did agree to build, the Power & Light District, will be a drain on the city treasury for decades to come, contrary to what its promoters had promised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City