Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 12:09 AM

153 posts, read 132,318 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I’m a nurse practitioner, wife is a PA. We are 32 years old, not politically active, no kids, love to be outdoors, eating out at cool eateries, golfing, biking, hiking, etc. We are born and raised in Phoenix Arizona. We know about the weather and climate differences. What we want opinions on is if there’s any difference between the cities regarding medical professionals. More opportunity? More research? Pay differences? People’s perception on NPs and PAs?
Beyond that, is there any other reason to choose one over the other, again minus the climate difference?

More info: we plan on renting for at least 3 years and saving a lot before purchasing anything. We want to stay under a million bucks, live within 20 mins of the city, preferably in an eclectic / non cookie cutter neighborhood. We’re not sure if that’s more easily attained in Denver or Seattle

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 07:21 AM

955 posts, read 615,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
Hello,

I’m a nurse practitioner, wife is a PA. We are 32 years old, not politically active, no kids, love to be outdoors, eating out at cool eateries, golfing, biking, hiking, etc. We are born and raised in Phoenix Arizona. We know about the weather and climate differences. What we want opinions on is if there’s any difference between the cities regarding medical professionals. More opportunity? More research? Pay differences? People’s perception on NPs and PAs?
Beyond that, is there any other reason to choose one over the other, again minus the climate difference?

More info: we plan on renting for at least 3 years and saving a lot before purchasing anything. We want to stay under a million bucks, live within 20 mins of the city, preferably in an eclectic / non cookie cutter neighborhood. We’re not sure if that’s more easily attained in Denver or Seattle

Thanks for any advice.
Suggest Denver - better for golf, biking, hiking and cheaper, much easier to buy a home within 20 mins of the city. Both have substantial healthcare job opportunities, but you will get more purchasing power in Denver. Any higher salary in Seattle will not be enough to offset cost of living.

However, I do feel Seattle will have more eclectic neighborhoods.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Suggest Denver - better for golf, biking, hiking and cheaper, much easier to buy a home within 20 mins of the city. Both have substantial healthcare job opportunities, but you will get more purchasing power in Denver. Any higher salary in Seattle will not be enough to offset cost of living.

However, I do feel Seattle will have more eclectic neighborhoods.
Hello, thank you for the advice! Are you from Denver? What areas would you suggest to live in general?

Old 08-18-2020, 09:24 AM

955 posts, read 615,918 times
Quote:
Hello, thank you for the advice! Are you from Denver? What areas would you suggest to live in general?
Hello, I am not from Denver but have visited a few times and have family in Seattle who work in healthcare and education so I know a bit about the cost of living etc. I'd suggest checking the Denver part of this website here.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:46 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,375,054 times
Quote:
Man you could buy the most beautiful homes in the best parts of the city. Washington Park, Cherry Creek, Capitol Hill, and Congress Park are where I would look.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Man you could buy the most beautiful homes in the best parts of the city. Washington Park, Cherry Creek, Capitol Hill, and Congress Park are where I would look.
Haha why’s that? Cus we have a double income and no kids?
Can you suggest places around the city that have lots of trees and green space?

Old 08-18-2020, 10:14 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,375,054 times
Quote:
The casual "trying to stay under a gazillion bucks" line lol.

Each of the areas a named are older neighborhoods with mature trees and easy access to City Park, Cheeseman Park, Washington Park and lots of other little parks.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:48 AM

1,204 posts, read 782,106 times
Quote:
Denver is in plains, not the actual mountains. So Denver will be definitely greener than Phoenix but not like Seattle. Don't expect lots of lush trees and forests.

About the neighborhood, what the other poster said. I have never been to Phoenix and not sure about their housing stock, but understand that what you get for a million in Denver is going to be much smaller. Especially in Cherry Creek, Wash Park etc. I also suggest you look around Hale, Hilltop areas. They are adjacent to Wash Park, Cherry Creek areas that the other poster mentioned. The plus with these neighborhoods is that you still get an older, unique house (mostly Tudors, some mid-mods, very few pueblo style homes in that area). But, for the money you may get something that is larger and updated. You'll also be close to a number of hospitals, Rose Medical, Denver Health, Nat Jewish, St-Jude, UC are going to be pretty close to get to. Don't forget that if you are on call, you'll have to go in no matter what... there will be days when you have to drive on roads that are packed with snow. Denver doesn't clear snow like in northeast or midwest, if you've lived in any of these regions you know what I am talking about. My house was in one of the neighborhoods I mentioned, and my neighbor was a nurse at a nearby hospital. One time he told me that he actually put on his skies and skied to DH, because there was no way for him to get out of his garage; his alley was packed. Good thing he x-country skis... That happens, and it can happen in April, so the closer you are to your hospital - probably better,

I am not a clinician, but I used to be in medical IT. I have done some work in Denver hospitals as a consultant. I'd definitely check the $$$ before you commit to Denver. Generally speaking, wages in Denver a much lower especially when you take into account the housing costs. The median house price in Denver is pushing $500K, but the salaries haven't caught up yet. So, do your homework, use online cost comparison calculators to see the difference.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:09 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,433,661 times
If you want non cookie cutter neighborhoods then Seattle is probably a better bet. Fremont, QA, Eastlake, Montlake, Madrona all good options in the city proper. Seattle is very much a city of neighborhoods with each neighborhood having a walkable strip of commerical/restaurant activity and their own attractions.

Seattle is more expensive though if you want SFH in the city proper.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Denver is in plains, not the actual mountains. So Denver will be definitely greener than Phoenix but not like Seattle. Don't expect lots of lush trees and forests.

About the neighborhood, what the other poster said. I have never been to Phoenix and not sure about their housing stock, but understand that what you get for a million in Denver is going to be much smaller. Especially in Cherry Creek, Wash Park etc. I also suggest you look around Hale, Hilltop areas. They are adjacent to Wash Park, Cherry Creek areas that the other poster mentioned. The plus with these neighborhoods is that you still get an older, unique house (mostly Tudors, some mid-mods, very few pueblo style homes in that area). But, for the money you may get something that is larger and updated. You'll also be close to a number of hospitals, Rose Medical, Denver Health, Nat Jewish, St-Jude, UC are going to be pretty close to get to. Don't forget that if you are on call, you'll have to go in no matter what... there will be days when you have to drive on roads that are packed with snow. Denver doesn't clear snow like in northeast or midwest, if you've lived in any of these regions you know what I am talking about. My house was in one of the neighborhoods I mentioned, and my neighbor was a nurse at a nearby hospital. One time he told me that he actually put on his skies and skied to DH, because there was no way for him to get out of his garage; his alley was packed. Good thing he x-country skis... That happens, and it can happen in April, so the closer you are to your hospital - probably better,

I am not a clinician, but I used to be in medical IT. I have done some work in Denver hospitals as a consultant. I'd definitely check the $$$ before you commit to Denver. Generally speaking, wages in Denver a much lower especially when you take into account the housing costs. The median house price in Denver is pushing $500K, but the salaries haven't caught up yet. So, do your homework, use online cost comparison calculators to see the difference.
I appreciate this feedback very much. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City