Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 01:51 PM

34 posts, read 75,396 times

Advertisements

I moved to Daytona Beach a couple months ago for a relationship. It didn't work and I have about 6 months left on my lease. I work remote and make about $75K/year.

I have been enjoying Florida and there's really nothing wrong with Daytona but I want to take this opportunity I have to work remote and explore while I can.

I enjoy hiking, adventures, food, beach, gym, going out (not a huge partyer anymore) and I'm 26 years old.

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to move to south Florida (basically sold on Miami) or giving Hawaii a shot.

I did visit Miami a couple months ago and loved it. I enjoy the diversity down there, the beach and many things to do. I do know its gritty in some places but I'm used to that from my hometown (Cleveland/Akron) so thats not really an issue. I love that its close to the everglades, key west, fort lauderdale, bahamas, etc. Maimi is a very motivating city too (I have a couple business ideas that I'm working on) but at the same time most people are just keeping up with the joneses.

When it comes to Hawaii, I think everyone has had some dream of living there at some point in their life. I LOVE all the nature/hiking they have and unlike florida, there is no predators to worry about. I'm very interested in history and I would love to learn more about the history/culture of the indigenous people there. Personality wise, I think Hawaii would be a better fit. I'm more laid back/chill and would rather be in nature than out partying every night.

I wanted to get thoughts from others that have lived in either city and which one would be a better fit for me. I've done research and cost wise, I can afford to live in alone in either city. I don't need anything fancy either, I'm perfectly okay with a 1-2 bedroom apartment. I'm not sure if im really looking to settle down in either city but that could happen in the future. I could see myself settling down in Hawaii though if I really liked the island lifestyle and wanted to stay. Currently thinking of just doing a 1 year lease and going from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 02:10 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,861,640 times
If you love Miami, that’s a lot of money to leave on the table to go to Hawaii. Have you been? You should visit if not just to get a feel. I’d personally choose Kauai and not think twice, but I’m not a Miami type of guy so I’d be willing to pay the 30% premium to live in Hawaii. But if you really loved Miami, I’d have to think hard about this. It’s a drastic difference.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:30 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,479,668 times
I'd go with Hawaii. I'd pick Oahu and Honolulu, since you like the diversity that Miami brings, Honolulu will at least give you some nightlife and "bigger city" amenities.

The hiking on Oahu and surrounding islands is just breathtakingly spectacular. The diversity of landscapes on the windward vs leeward island coasts is amazing as well--one is lusher and wetter and the other is sandier and drier.

Miami is amazing as well, but there are zero mountains nearby. You can travel to the Caribbean islands for that, but it could be a hassle.

Give Hawaii a shot. If you don't like it (island fever is a thing for sure), stay several years and then move back to the continental US.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:46 PM

956 posts, read 572,244 times
26 year old male here.

I would not choose Hawaii. I'm young and it is too isolated and far away from where I need to be.

If you must, retire in Hawaii. But Miami will give you everything you need(culture, nightlife, opportunities, nice weather) at a cheaper cost of living.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:29 PM

955 posts, read 614,396 times
I would absolutely not choose Hawai'i.

Honolulu is my hometown and the amount of people who came for school or work and left within a year or two due to island fever and isolation was staggering. I worked for a large organization there for a few years and the Honolulu office had the highest turnover of any of its 20+ offices because of mainlanders leaving. University of Hawai'i also has one of the highest dropout rates between freshman and sophomore years for the same reason.

People don't realize how isolated and far away they feel in Hawai'i. It's also not an easy place for mainlanders to make friends. Most people in Hawai'i were born and raised in their same neighborhood and don't tend to extend their circles to allow people from other parts of the islands, let alone mainlanders, in.

Moving costs will be much, much higher compared to Miami. Also, if something happens with your remote job, you or a future spouse/partner might struggle to find suitable work in Hawai'i compared to Florida.

The only people I would advise to move to Hawai'i are retirees without substantial family ties on the mainland.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:33 PM

21,698 posts, read 12,836,228 times
Miami

Old 11-11-2020, 12:53 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,190,136 times
$75K won't get you much in Oahu. As others have said, relocation costs alone are astronomical, and costs of many ordinary goods are at a significant premium. For example, you can easily spend $6 or $7 for a gallon of milk. With 100 being the median cost of living nationwide, I want to say that Hawaii is up around 190.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:37 AM

955 posts, read 614,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
$75K won't get you much in Oahu. As others have said, relocation costs alone are astronomical, and costs of many ordinary goods are at a significant premium. For example, you can easily spend $6 or $7 for a gallon of milk. With 100 being the median cost of living nationwide, I want to say that Hawaii is up around 190.
One thing to note is that Hawai'i can look very expensive on paper if you are looking to buy exactly what you would on the mainland. However if you eat, drink or live in a more typically local way it's not much more expensive. Certain fruits, veggies, etc. might look crazy on paper, but those tend not to be things that local people buy anyway. Utilities also aren't bad either, as most people don't use A/C and obviously no one uses heat.

It's like when people try to compare the price of an America-sized home in Chicago or Houston to places where those houses don't even exist like Tokyo.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:05 AM

119 posts, read 122,601 times
It sounds like you like Miami because it kind of has a tropical New York vibe to it. I don’t think you’ll find that in Honolulu so you’re probably better off in Miami. Plus, cost of living is much better in Miami.

If I were in your shoes making $75k remotely I’d really think about Barcelona. Spain is awesome and a Spanish visa shouldn’t be hard to get since you have a good income.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:38 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,877,833 times
Live in Miami. Vacation in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City