Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 11:51 PM

46 posts, read 60,044 times

Advertisements

So I’m contemplating a move to Chicago in the near future. I’m just more of a big city person, not much on small towns or smaller cities as they come off as small minded. I recently had a conversation with someone about NYC. I have been to NYC but it’s been forever, but basically my friend was telling me in most, but not all big cities, you can be yourself and no one cares. That’s why there are so many colorful people in NYC and that you can really be yourself there for the most part. Would this be the case in Chicago, for better or for worse, or is it pretty much normculture? Just asking out of curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 12:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,015,361 times
I can imagine that, taking the while cities into account, Chicago would be somewhat less embracing of "weird" people than NYC. The pace of life is slower, there are fewer recent immigrants, it's not really a national arts mecca in the way that NYC is, so people who look or act different in some way might stand out more. Of course that's true almost anywhere compared to NYC.

But it's really, really gonna depend on the neighborhood. You can find plenty of weird and interesting people, abstract murals, vegan restaurants, street performers in areas like Wicker Park, Boystown, Pilsen, and Hyde Park. The farther-out, more suburban-looking, white-majority neighborhoods might be more hesitant to talk to or interact with weird people, but that's true everywhere, even Portland and Austin. I would definitely ask around about the vibe of the neighborhoods you're looking into.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:04 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
I like Chicago better than NYC,and about to have been living in both! Lol

Chicago is far less expensive than NYC
The diversity north of the loop feels more integrated than NYC imo. I lived in Queens and intermixing was like taboo... I went to a SUNY too and city kids rarely, if ever, mingled outside their race.
Chicago is cleaner by far. Obvious one.
Access to the beach is seamless

The services might be better, or just more quantity in NYC but you have to pay for it. And it can be $$$

However NYC has a better climate and less humidity.
NYC Currently has a better, but far more competitive job market.
NYC has about the same quality trains as Chicago, more quantity.
There is more diversity in NYC.

All in all they are both good, but I enjoy Chicago a lot better.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:50 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Chicago is a very large city with a lot of diversity, things to do, arts, eclectic communities, etc. New York just has more of almost everything and its the only city I've ever experienced (except maybe London) where there is truly a place or group for everyone.

BUT, Chicago is a wonderful city and being a little less diverse or eclectic would not be a deterrent for me.

If you have some more specifics into what you would to get out of your move, that may help. I actually split my time between New York City, Chicago, and Philadelphia (its stressful, but I love it, lol)

Old 03-09-2021, 07:22 AM

I have this dialogue when I talk to my friends about CHI vs NYC or Nyc Vs BOS. Do you want quantity or quality? Chicago is a great middle ground and provides quality of a clean vibrant city with great amenities ... But also the diversity and array of things to do. Perfect medium to me.

That's why I love Chicago so much. It's like a perfect blend of the previous two cities I've lived in Boston and New York, which both have their short comings. Again super subjective. But overall, diversity and quantity of New York and cleanliness and quality of a DC or Boston. Idk I just like it

Old 03-09-2021, 08:40 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
NYC is NYC. Can't be beat, Either one is spectacular to me though.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:42 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,091,555 times
Forget comparing the two. There's nothing like NYC anywhere. That said, Chicago is a great city in its own right. If you want the real big city feel with an attractive COL, Chicago is the place.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:28 AM

10,081 posts, read 14,463,858 times
Chicago is a big city with a ton of diversity and a ton of excitement, energy and overall abundance of things to see and do.

With a city population of about 2.7 million, and a metro of 9.5 million, it is a major city in its own right.

However, with New York City, you get all of that times 3. NYC's city population is 8.3 million and the metro area is 20 million, so there are just many, many more people and as-a-result, much more diversity, much more nationalities/ethnicities and groups of different people.

No one gives a second look with someone doing their own thing--whatever that may be--in NYC. It's the "norm" in New York to be atypical, truly.

In Chicago, I'd imagine you could do the same thing, without judgement or strange looks. But Chicago is just on a smaller scale, with everything really, compared to New York City.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:39 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,895,905 times
Truly, how many people does one need? I would go with what's within your budget. If NYC is a stretch, Chicago should certainly be big enough.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:54 AM

$100 on a night out in Chicago will take you a long ways. $100 in NYC won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City