Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2021, 04:30 PM

291 posts, read 201,962 times

Advertisements

I've only been to Manhattan on a layover and I thought it was fascinating, coming from Chicago. This was in 2019, so prepandemic. Seemed like the opportunity to strike up conversations with strangers was just far greater in NYC as compared to Chicago.

Chicago in my experience seems to be insular; it's hard to generally chat up a stranger and ask them to do something later on. As if they are comfortable with their social circle and aren't looking to branch out. Is that generally the same in NYC?

From what I've heard, people in NYC are generally more transient than Chicago so while it may be easy to meet people, those friendships will be short lived?

I'm debating between these two cities and while my savings would be terrible in NYC, I'm tempted because I've already been in Chicago for 8 years. I am planning on traveling down to Manhattan in the coming weeks and seeing what the vibe's like, as I'm fairly close to just deciding to go back to Chicago.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 04:03 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
You can definitely meet people easier in NYC.
The two good cities to meet new people in my opinion are SF and NYC. In the rest, people either just sit in their own cars all day, or are too insular and mind their own business.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:04 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The two good cities to meet new people in my opinion are SF and NYC. In the rest, people either just sit in their own cars all day, or are too insular and mind their own business.
This has to be the most "NYC" comment I've seen on this forum.

I can even hear the strong Brooklyn accent in my head when I read it.

Last edited by citidata18; 04-13-2021 at 05:21 PM..

Old 04-13-2021, 04:23 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,595 times
Chicago.......... farrrrrrrr easier.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:24 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
You dont get out much Im assuming.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:57 PM

157 posts, read 137,461 times
NYC by a mile. Completely opposite ends of the spectrum anyone who doesn't know this has never spent any time in the midwest.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:35 PM

474 posts, read 530,461 times
Quote:
I thought “minding their own business” was a point of pride for New Yorkers?

Old 04-13-2021, 06:52 PM

1,260 posts, read 944,555 times
Probably NYC, you have so many people from so many walks of life and so many transplants from everywhere.

Chicago probably is a little tougher. Chicago attracts a lot of transplants from other parts of the Midwest that already have a lot of friends or family that moved from other parts of the Midwest. So people are already pretty well connected to others in Chicago already. People are probably nicer and friendlier in Chicago but it’s probably easier to make friends in NYC.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:11 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,722,163 times
DC is also very easy to meet people because so many educated transients. I met people very quickly when I moved there.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:28 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
This question posed to people with a bias, cannot really be answered, with any authority. If you take out one's bias, who they are, where they try to meet people, how they approach people, and on and on and on, there is no definitive answer. There just isn't. If you met the neighbor to my east in a given situation, you would not become friends. If you met my neighbor to the west, you might. See what I mean???

If one is friendly and approachable, they won't have trouble in either city. And, in either city, not everyone will want to be your friend.

Last edited by Enean; 04-14-2021 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City