Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which system has stronger ridership prospects in the future?
Charlotte Lynx 8 27.59%
Phoenix Valley Metro Rail 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 07:42 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times

Advertisements

Two newer, small systems in larger, growing metro areas eager to shed their suburban images.

I"ve heard nothing but good things about both systems and it appears both cities have ambitious expansion plans.

Valley Metro is currently about 28 miles of light rail, with a round of 2024 expansions coming that should get it out of the minor leagues of mass transit.

Lynx light rail is 19 miles (plus a streetcar), with a whopping 30 mile multi billion dollar extension planned by 2037 in the form of the Silver Line.

Which city is most committed to joining the major leagues of mass transit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 08:25 PM

In this not too popular topic, Phoenix leads the poll handily.

Is that because of overall confidence in Phoenix's growth as a metro area over Charlotte, or is it specific to what they are doing with Valley Metro vs the Lynx?

Old 06-21-2023, 07:20 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
In this not too popular topic, Phoenix leads the poll handily.

Is that because of overall confidence in Phoenix's growth as a metro area over Charlotte, or is it specific to what they are doing with Valley Metro vs the Lynx?
Well PHX LR does connect busy nodes in the Valley like PHX Airport, the Central Ave corridor, Tempe/ASU, and Mesa. I think ASU really put life into the line and its ridership. Tempe has also added a streetcar around its downtown. I know Lynx doesn't reach CLT Airport and doesn't go outside the city limits. I'm not sure how much of an impact UNC Charlotte has on Lynx.

I don't see either city as more walkable over the other, they're both sprawly as all get out with lots of stroads. Both have also added a lot of residential urban infill in the city centers with light rail connecting the South End in Charlotte and Roosevelt Row in Phoenix. Both neighborhoods have seen a lot of new construction. I prefer downtown Phoenix and find it more interesting than Uptown Charlotte, but not by a lot.

Perhaps with Phoenix having a larger metro encompassing multiple nodes and more destinations with the light rail line connecting three Valley cities, a larger college campus connection, and PHX Airport being linked up to it makes it more of a standout. I know when I've visited Phoenix I often find myself in Scottsdale, sometimes for night life. Too bad the light rail doesn't make a connection there but the city has rejected it. If Scottsdale was connected to the network it would have more complete coverage.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-21-2023 at 07:41 PM..

Old 06-21-2023, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Well PHX LR does connect busy nodes in the Valley like PHX Airport, the Central Ave corridor, Tempe/ASU, and Mesa. I think ASU really put life into the line and its ridership. Tempe has also added a streetcar around its downtown. I know Lynx doesn't reach CLT Airport and doesn't go outside the city limits. I'm not sure how much of an impact UNC Charlotte has on Lynx.

I don't see either city as more walkable over the other, they're both sprawly as all get out with lots of stroads. Both have also added a lot of residential urban infill in the city centers with light rail connecting the South End in Charlotte and Roosevelt Row in Phoenix. Both neighborhoods have seen a lot of new construction. I prefer downtown Phoenix and find it more interesting than Uptown Charlotte, but not by a lot.

Perhaps with Phoenix having a larger metro encompassing multiple nodes and more destinations with the light rail line connecting three Valley cities, a larger college campus connection, and PHX Airport being linked up to it makes it more of a standout. I know when I've visited Phoenix I often find myself in Scottsdale, sometimes for night life. Too bad the light rail doesn't make a connection there but the city has rejected it. If Scottsdale was connected to the network it would have more complete coverage.
I like this matchup because obviously both MSA's are growing like wildfire, and both have built just enough metro rail to where they've crossed the rubicon into being a player.

The question is, as the metro areas will continue to grow, which one will cry uncle first on the way to having a real big city metro (as they will both have the population to warrant it).

Old 06-21-2023, 09:08 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
CLT metro area is half the size of PHX. It may not be a fair comparison.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Charlotte is growing at much faster rate and has a higher profile airport.

I'm guessing they are expecting MSA growth similar to Phoenix, hence the 30 mile LRT expansion plan.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:28 AM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
The city comparison is alot closer as both cities hover at the 1million mark and Charlotte has one of the largest daytime populations in the country. The Lynx has produced an insane amount t.o.d. inside and outside the core.Replying to thr person who prefers downtown Phoenix I think Uptown Charlotte combined with Midtown and SoutEnd is much better and more urban but to each his own. Both cities are growing and will not be slowing down anytime soon. I do like how Phoenix lrt has crossed boundaries outside of the city limits. I think that is where Phoenix comes out on top. Charlotte for inside the city and Phoenix for outside the city.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:25 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
The city comparison is alot closer as both cities hover at the 1million mark and Charlotte has one of the largest daytime populations in the country. The Lynx has produced an insane amount t.o.d. inside and outside the core.Replying to thr person who prefers downtown Phoenix I think Uptown Charlotte combined with Midtown and SoutEnd is much better and more urban but to each his own. Both cities are growing and will not be slowing down anytime soon. I do like how Phoenix lrt has crossed boundaries outside of the city limits. I think that is where Phoenix comes out on top. Charlotte for inside the city and Phoenix for outside the city.
Doesn't Phoenix have 700k+ more people than the city of Charlotte?

Old 06-23-2023, 05:33 AM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
Doesn't Phoenix have 700k+ more people than the city of Charlotte?

I concur yes Charlotte is right around 1 million while Phoenix is at 1.6 million.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:42 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Charlotte is growing at much faster rate and has a higher profile airport.

I'm guessing they are expecting MSA growth similar to Phoenix, hence the 30 mile LRT expansion plan.
You aren't kidding, Phoenix adds about 70K people a year while Charlotte is closer to 90K per year.

CLT grew from 1.76 to 2.66M from 2010 to 2020
PHX grew from 4.19M to 4.84M in the same period

I think Phoenix will heavily focus on infill development now, some far flung areas of the metro will have more challenges growing limited water access, while areas in the city have guaranteed supplies. It's already been happening to a large level and should only continue with expanded transit and focus/interest by the public in urban living options.

The city of Phoenix itself has passed the 2050 transportation plan which is already adding 42 miles of track. Tempe just opened a street car last year which is already up for expansion. And the regional transit plan should be up for vote soon, if the state govt can get their sh*t together, and that would fund more rail.

https://www.phoenix.gov/publictransi...2050_flyer.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City