Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 02:12 PM

571 posts, read 1,175,025 times

Advertisements

How would you rate these two similarly sized metros based on:

Strength of the downtown core (corporate presence, shopping opportunities, living opportunities, dining, cultural amenities)

Neighborhoods

Landscape

Weather

Economy

Future Outlook

Higher Ed

I've been to both extensively, and I recall reading some article awhile back calling Pitt the 'Portland of the East' or something like that. Other than hills and greenery, not sure if I see a huge similarity, but what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 03:55 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,176,759 times
I'll take a shot at this. I've only visited each one time for three days. And both visits were in 2012.

Downtown core - Pittsburgh. I feel like these are pretty even in most respects, but Pittsburgh gets the nod with stronger arts & cultural institutions. Also, Steelers+Pirates+Penguins > Blazers...

Neighborhoods - Pittsburgh. Portland was great and perhaps I didnt get out beyond downtown enough, but this is a strength of Pittsburgh.

Landscape - Tie.

Weather - Portland. Doesn't get as cold and, IIRC, Pittsburgh isn't very sunny either.

Economy - Pittsburgh. Hmm...I don't know the numbers but Pitt's reputation as a resurgent economy is widely known. Portland on the other hand has a reputation for lackluster economic performance and underemployed professionals. (where young people go to retire)

Future Outlook - Subjective but I think Pittsburgh because of the economic renaissance.

Higher Ed - Pittsburgh. Portland is no slouch but, again, this is an incredible strength of Pittsburgh.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:55 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,052,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I've been to both extensively, and I recall reading some article awhile back calling Pitt the 'Portland of the East' or something like that. Other than hills and greenery, not sure if I see a huge similarity, but what do you think?
I don't know Portland enough to compare it to Pittsburgh, but I'd say in general the comparison means Pittsburgh today is similar to where Portland was 15-20 years ago. Regardless, these are the common similarities cited between the two:

1. Both cities had a blue collar/union related past.
2. Both are river cities.
3. Both have very low populations of non-whites compared to other large and medium-sized cities.
4. Both are noted for their quirky/nontraditional elements.
5. Both are somewhat geographically removed from what's seen as the core of their regions. It's a long drive from Portland to Seattle or the Bay area, and it's a long drive from the Northeast Corridor to Pittsburgh.
6. Both are being colonized by people leaving the "core area" in search of relatively cheaper cost of living (particularly housing).

Old 11-25-2015, 09:44 PM

26 posts, read 39,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
5. Both are somewhat geographically removed from what's seen as the core of their regions. It's a long drive from Portland to Seattle or the Bay area, and it's a long drive from the Northeast Corridor to Pittsburgh.
I sort of disagree with this. Sure its a long drive from NYC to PGH but there are plenty of cities within reach of Pittsburgh. Cleveland, Columbus, Buffalo and Cincinnati are easy drives away. That's one of the bigger differences between the eastern and western halves of the country. Most cities in the east can reach numerous other noteworthy cities without much effort.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:29 AM

46 posts, read 61,141 times
I would give the nod to Portland in economic activity and population growth(future outlook). http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional..._metro0914.pdf
This chart proves that Portland's metropolitan economy is larger. I would consider future outlook and population growth somewhat synonymous, and in this criteria Portland easily dominates. Portland's metropolitan area grew by 1.4 percent from 2013 to 2014, while Pittsburgh's metropolitan area loss 0.2 percent of it's population.
American FactFinder - Results

Old 11-26-2015, 08:56 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,176,759 times
Well, over the past 5 years Pittsburgh's GDP has increased by 1% more than Portland's. If you consider the population growth disparity that you pointed out, seems like Pittsburgh is headed in a healthier direction economically...

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi..._metro0915.pdf

Old 11-26-2015, 11:11 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,162,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCity45223 View Post
I sort of disagree with this. Sure its a long drive from NYC to PGH but there are plenty of cities within reach of Pittsburgh. Cleveland, Columbus, Buffalo and Cincinnati are easy drives away. That's one of the bigger differences between the eastern and western halves of the country. Most cities in the east can reach numerous other noteworthy cities without much effort.
Depends on your definition of long. I made it home from Staten Island a few weeks ago in 6.5 hours. Pittsburgh is also only a 5 hour drive from Toronto and Philly, and 4 hours from Baltimore and DC. Pretty sure those last three cities I mentioned are on the Northeast corridor. I know people who live in Philly and Baltimore and despite how close they are to other cities they rarely bother going to other cities in the corridor.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:53 AM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCity45223 View Post
But those cities (with Buffalo being the exception) while somewhat close, and with some similarities, are not in its core region, which is the North East.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:42 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,052,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
But those cities (with Buffalo being the exception) while somewhat close, and with some similarities, are not in its core region, which is the North East.
Yep. The point is that Pittsburgh is acquiring a lot of educated professionals from the Northeast Corridor, attracted by its lower cost of living, despite being somewhat isolated from the remainder of the Northeast. Similar to how Portland is pretty far from Seattle or the built-up portions of California, but attracted transplants from those regions due to its (historically) lower cost.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:31 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,367,563 times
I prefer Pittsburgh, especially in terms of economy. All the broke hipsters who can't cut it in Seattle, go to Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City