Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2022, 10:59 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Houston. I know it's tall, but it seems too spreadout.
ok

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVOrJOgX0AMqWkX.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 12:09 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Houston. I know it's tall, but it seems too spreadout.
The down skyline is pretty compressed especially for a Texas city.
Attached Thumbnails
City Skylines that are Impressive or Underwhelming for a City's Size-a8e65676-3dbe-4efe-ad69-da77d160d9f2.jpeg   City Skylines that are Impressive or Underwhelming for a City's Size-0db06b58-95f2-4e86-bce7-905e3eb306e8.jpeg  

Old 11-15-2022, 12:11 PM

2,329 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Tampa definitely isn't impressive. But I wouldn't say its underwhelming either. It is a very compact city with only 400,000 people and takes up a small chunk of its 3 million people metro area with St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and Brandon. Not to mention, St. Petersburg has a nice little skyline of its own. From my time there, I would say a lot of people go to retire there and it has a lot slower pace than most cities its size, and feels smaller and more local. Anyways, the skyline is respectable and it lights up well at night. It just wouldn't win any awards. With Ybor and Harbor Island, it stretches out pretty well:

Tampa Skyline Pano by PrimaPix Visuals, on Flickr
Tampa can look big from the right angles. If you look at it from the airport, you see all the downtown high rises, the Westshore business district, and the condos on Bayshore so it starts to look like a real city. However, it’s just too spread out. For a metro this size, Tampa feels a lot smaller than Charlotte and Denver which technically have less people.

I wouldn’t say it’s slower paced and it isn’t full of retirees, it’s just disorganized and spread out.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:15 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Houston's growth has slowed down with the shrinking oil industry. Houston was 4th behind Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth for jobs recovered post covid in Texas. Houston has the highest office vacancy rate of any major market.

https://www.bauer.uh.edu/centers/irf...on-updates.php

https://therealdeal.com/texas/2022/1...o-75-discount/
I think Houston is still doing fine though since it did outpace the US as a whole when it comes to covid job recovery. And Houston has still built more skyscrapers than Dallas (and Austin too) despite Dallas’ healthier economy. Houston has more of a will to build regardless of economic status.

Old 11-15-2022, 12:46 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Tampa can look big from the right angles. If you look at it from the airport, you see all the downtown high rises, the Westshore business district, and the condos on Bayshore so it starts to look like a real city. However, it’s just too spread out. For a metro this size, Tampa feels a lot smaller than Charlotte and Denver which technically have less people.

I wouldn’t say it’s slower paced and it isn’t full of retirees, it’s just disorganized and spread out.
Right… If captured from the right angles, it can look okay… Coming in from I-4 around the Selmon Expressway, it looks decent, but downtown as a whole is VERY underwhelming. Both Tampa and Orlando have some lacking skylines, despite the cities having decent levels of density and urbanity within their core areas.

When driving through downtown Tampa on I275, the skyline looks VERY small.

Also, I definitely do not see Tampa as “slow-paced” and full of retirees. It feels no different than Charlotte in most aspects.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:44 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
The down skyline is pretty compressed especially for a Texas city.
Those are some interesting shots of Houston. I feel like those angle are rarely seen when discussing the city.

Old 11-15-2022, 04:11 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Tampa definitely isn't impressive. But I wouldn't say its underwhelming either. It is a very compact city with only 400,000 people and takes up a small chunk of its 3 million people metro area with St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and Brandon. Not to mention, St. Petersburg has a nice little skyline of its own. From my time there, I would say a lot of people go to retire there and it has a lot slower pace than most cities its size, and feels smaller and more local. Anyways, the skyline is respectable and it lights up well at night. It just wouldn't win any awards. With Ybor and Harbor Island, it stretches out pretty well:

White Plains and New Rochelle NY are impressive than Tampa, FL they are smaller cities

Old 11-15-2022, 05:33 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:

That is a beautiful picture. I think with Tampa's growth and business friendly climate, it will attract more towers in the future.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/maps/crane-watch

Old 11-15-2022, 06:37 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
That is a beautiful picture. I think with Tampa's growth and business friendly climate, it will attract more towers in the future.

I doubt it. Much of the heavy developments in FL are concentrated in St-Pete and Orlando. Tampa has that Water St stuff going on, but even with that, it still has a long way to go. A lot of downtown is still very run down.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:54 PM

2,329 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I doubt it. Much of the heavy developments in FL are concentrated in St-Pete and Orlando. Tampa has that Water St stuff going on, but even with that, it still has a long way to go. A lot of downtown is still very run down.
Tampa does have a few interesting developments underway, but St. Pete is really the one blowing up right now. Lots of new towers are going up there, including one building over 500’. I’m less familiar with what’s going up in Orlando, but I’ll say it’s deserving.

Tampa’s tallest building was built in 1992 which says a lot I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City