Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the most non-residents claiming it?
New York CIty 24 15.58%
Boston 15 9.74%
Philadelphia 6 3.90%
Chicago 10 6.49%
Washington D.C. 18 11.69%
Los Angeles 21 13.64%
Miami 7 4.55%
San Francisco 9 5.84%
Atlanta 37 24.03%
Other 7 4.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 05:28 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Deviating a bit I’d like to nominate Cleveland. One thing Bbmm is correct about is there is at least some tension in much of the Northeast about city proper/suburb stuff.

But not just Suburbanites, but Clevelanders. themselves seem quite keen on claiming everything from like Youngstown to Sandusky as Cleveland.

I think it’s because they fancy themselves the top dog in the state, but increasingly that’s not a clear cut argument so they just say “well Youngstown/Canton/ etc. is Cleveland too “
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 05:37 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Los Angeles
DC
Boston
Atlanta

Atlanta is probably the biggest offender.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:07 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Los Angeles
DC
Boston
Atlanta

Atlanta is probably the biggest offender.
Are there any examples of this in film/TV? I'm pretty ignorant of this region and hadn't heard about this until this thread. The fact that I've never heard anyone claim Sandy Springs should be a clue to me, but I would never have thought it would be on the level of Boston or D.C.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Deviating a bit I’d like to nominate Cleveland. One thing Bbmm is correct about is there is at least some tension in much of the Northeast about city proper/suburb stuff.

But not just Suburbanites, but Clevelanders. themselves seem quite keen on claiming everything from like Youngstown to Sandusky as Cleveland.

I think it’s because they fancy themselves the top dog in the state, but increasingly that’s not a clear cut argument so they just say “well Youngstown/Canton/ etc. is Cleveland too “
This is somewhat of a reverse effect-the misnomer is actually emanating from inside the city. This must come from the feeling of being shafted with their MSA boundaries.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
See that’s interesting to me as someone who hasn’t explored LA yet. I always got the feeling that LA residents might be more lax about these labels given the shape of LA’s unique city limits. I don’t think that’s gatekeeping, I just sensed that some of those areas might get a sort of casual, unofficial pass for LA
There are cities not called Los Angeles that have more "L.A. cred" than actual places inside L.A. city limits. Beverly Hills, Inglewood, Gateway Cities, Compton, West Hollywood, etc. vs places like Woodland Hills.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:19 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Somewhere upthread someone posted that Philly is a city that people tend not to claim as being from. I also found that in Detroit. If people were talking to other folks, especially in the Midwest or Northeast, they almost never said "I'm from Detroit" if they lived in Oakland, Southfield, the Grosse Pointes, or any other Detroit burb. Then they'd later go on to clarify that this 'burb was "just outside Detroit". The rep of the city was (is?) so bad nobody wants to be associated with living there if they actually don't.

In fact, many years ago I was surprised to hear the comedian Tim Allen say often that he was from Detroit. Must have been the last white guy in the city I thought. Then I learned that he was in fact raised in a 'burb (Birmingham). Even Eminem only spent part of his young life in Detroit, going to high school in nearby Warren (according to Wiki) So there are exceptions. But not many, I'd wager.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:24 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
In fact, many years ago I was surprised to hear the comedian Tim Allen say often that he was from Detroit. Must have been the last white guy in the city I thought. Then I learned that he was in fact raised in a 'burb (Birmingham). Even Eminem only spent part of his young life in Detroit, going to high school in nearby Warren (according to Wiki) So there are exceptions. But not many, I'd wager.
This, like most impressions of Detroit stopped being the case about 25-30 years ago. Suburbanites started using Detroit as a blanket term for the region when downtown started becoming cool again/sports teams started moving back into the city. I'm sure Eminem also helped that along. Though you are correct, he spent the majority of his childhood in Warren. I've heard people as far away as Flint claim to be part of the Detroit area.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:40 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
I’ve caught more than a few New Yorkers deliberately say they are from “New York” when they are from Binghamton or Buffalo or something. They know it’s misleading. Sometimes they add the correction if the conversation heads down that path, sometimes they just go along. It seems to be more recent or younger transplants though. Older ones seem to go out of their way to say the “upstate” qualifier.

To be honest, most people simply give the state they are from if from out of state. Ohio, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, California, etc. Boston and Pittsburgh are the big exceptions I can think of.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:47 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I’ve caught more than a few New Yorkers deliberately say they are from “New York” when they are from Binghamton or Buffalo or something. They know it’s misleading. Sometimes they add the correction if the conversation heads down that path, sometimes they just go along. It seems to be more recent or younger transplants though. Older ones seem to go out of their way to say the “upstate” qualifier.

To be honest, most people simply give the state they are from if from out of state. Ohio, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, California, etc. Boston and Pittsburgh are the big exceptions I can think of.

I don't feel like looking through all the comments in this thread, but someone has like pointed out the most important point: it's the audience that matters. If you are talking to someone from NY, you can tell them specifically where you are from. If you are talking to someone from California, saying some small town or county is meaningless.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:56 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post

People from Upstate specifically don’t say Upstate because they think it’s their state too. They want to correct people when they wrongly assume it’s the city and go “there is a whole big state up there you know you big dummy”

They are not trying to claim to be from New York City, it’s basically the opposite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City