Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has more of a classic urban, big-city feel?
Dallas 53 46.90%
Denver 60 53.10%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 09:57 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,625,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
I disagree - Dallas' urban core is much bigger and has more sustained contiguous urbanity with downtown-adjacent neighborhoods like Uptown, Oak Lawn, Deep Ellum, etc.
This is a bad take. Charleston and Savannah is more urban than Atlanta despite the latter having more urbanized areas. As a smaller city, Denver is more urban, overall. Dallas is very spread out in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 11:18 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,407,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
This is a bad take. Charleston and Savannah is more urban than Atlanta despite the latter having more urbanized areas. As a smaller city, Denver is more urban, overall. Dallas is very spread out in comparison.
I don't think I'd agree with that, but even if true Charleston is a colonial city that is almost 200 years older than Atlanta. That is an entirely different scenario than Denver and Dallas. Dallas was actually the larger of the two in 1950 when American cities moved towards car-based layouts.

It's certainly not that I think Dallas is a super urban city, just that I've never found Denver to be overly urban either. And in terms of feeling big, I don't think that one is close. Dallas feels much bigger to me; it's in a completely separate tier in that respect.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:37 PM

151 posts, read 88,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I don't think I'd agree with that, but even if true Charleston is a colonial city that is almost 200 years older than Atlanta. That is an entirely different scenario than Denver and Dallas. Dallas was actually the larger of the two in 1950 when American cities moved towards car-based layouts.

It's certainly not that I think Dallas is a super urban city, just that I've never found Denver to be overly urban either. And in terms of feeling big, I don't think that one is close. Dallas feels much bigger to me; it's in a completely separate tier in that respect.
I was actually going to bring this up. Denver was larger than Dallas for a good chunk of history. It wasn’t until the 1950s that Dallas took over. Perhaps that contributes to why some think Denver has a more “classic” urban feel in parts. For instance there’s not really anywhere in Dallas (That I know of) as compact as the neighborhoods Denver has immediately South/southeast of Downtown.

Last edited by SaintX; 11-22-2022 at 12:13 AM..

Old 11-22-2022, 12:13 AM

7,644 posts, read 3,284,882 times
I think they have equally obnoxious airports.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:32 AM

365 posts, read 231,150 times
Quote:
Does Denver have anything that matches the contiguous urbanity of the McKinney corridor? Colfax or Broadway maybe, but they're much wider and have more of that sun-belty vibe.

McKinney: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8077...7i16384!8i8192

Colfax: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7400...7i16384!8i8192

S Broadway:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7151...7i16384!8i8192

I think if you focus on Dallas' urban core, it is actually more classically urban in feel, and gives off more of a big city vibe.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:49 AM

7,644 posts, read 3,284,882 times
Dallas is an enormous suburb.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:14 AM

843 posts, read 459,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Dallas is an enormous suburb.
This is just nonsense.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:22 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,625,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post

Those cities are much more urban overall, that's not debatable. Denver at its core is much more urban than Dallas as well.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,819,369 times
Quote:
Those cities are much more urban overall, that's not debatable. Denver at its core is much more urban than Dallas as well.
That is 101% debatable.
Atlanta has a much bigger urban core than Charleston and Savanah. Both fall of the map outside their historic districts.

You may be confusing downtown and the core. Downtown's are only a small portion of the core. The measure of a city's core is based on the supporting neighborhoods.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:48 AM

1,376 posts, read 932,600 times
Quote:
In Savannah's case, it's a small area that's urban with no tall buildings. Atlanta is much larger with a much larger urban footprint in Downtown, Midtown, Old Fourth Ward, Sweet Auburn, Little Five Points, Cabbagetown, West Midtown, Virginia Highlands, Inman Park, East Atlanta, Reynoldstown, Glenwood Park, downtown Decatur, parts of Buckhead, etc. It's not really comparable. An example of the Fairlie Poplar neighborhood in Atlanta pre-covid: https://goo.gl/maps/Beq3Npkf6QJfBdZWA

Last edited by ShenardL; 11-22-2022 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City