Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one will have a greater impact?
Atlanta BeltLine 29 85.29%
The Loop 4 11.76%
Both will have about the same impact 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 08:02 PM

6,703 posts, read 9,958,205 times

Advertisements

Both of these trails that circle both cities are very similar to each other. Which trail do you think will have the most impact or will the outcome be similar for both cities?

The Loop in Dallas is a 50 mile pedestrian trail loop around Dallas. 39 miles of which is is existing and 11 miles which will be constructed. Completion is expected in 3 years.

Like the BeltLine's eastern section, The Katy Trail (skip to 11:30) through Victory Park, Uptown, Oak Lawn, and Knox-Henderson is the busiest section. Projects a long this section of "The Loop" generated an economic impact of $1 billion dollars and draws over 1 million people per year. Recent article from July 31, 2023 - The Loop Comes Full Circle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGSmRAp-7Lo

The Atlanta BeltLine is a 22 mile pedestrian trail loop which is planned to be completed by 2030. There's a transit component to it as well. The video below give a good explanation of the Beltline, much better than what I could give.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tycWtaejktA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 10:32 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,630,842 times
Atlanta Beltline is definitely more impactful than The Loop.

To be honest I'm just now hearing about The Loop but it doesn't sound like it'll function in the same fashion as the Beltline.

The Loops seems to focus solely on recreational purposes (biking and walking). The Beltline is not only for recreational purposes but it's building out to be another means of public transportation for Atlanta.

Speaking of Dallas I was just in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and I got a chance to visit the Katy Trail. It's a nice trail, well incorporated into some of Dallas best neighborhoods but what I noticed in comparison to The Beltline is that Katy Trail consisted mostly of people there for recreational purposes. Everyone is in their workout gear, rarely did I see anybody using the trail other than to exercise.

The Beltline on the other hand has several people in casual wear, hopping from Ponce City Market to various bars and restaurants right off the Beltline. Plus what I really love about The Beltline more so than Katy Trail is the energy there. Every now and then you'll see people performing or recording videos just really having a good time. Also the art on the beltline just adds to the vibe of the city that I just don't see Katy Trail matching.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Atlanta Beltline is definitely more impactful than The Loop.

To be honest I'm just now hearing about The Loop but it doesn't sound like it'll function in the same fashion as the Beltline.

The Loops seems to focus solely on recreational purposes (biking and walking). The Beltline is not only for recreational purposes but it's building out to be another means of public transportation for Atlanta.

Speaking of Dallas I was just in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and I got a chance to visit the Katy Trail. It's a nice trail, well incorporated into some of Dallas best neighborhoods but what I noticed in comparison to The Beltline is that Katy Trail consisted mostly of people there for recreational purposes. Everyone is in their workout gear, rarely did I see anybody using the trail other than to exercise.

The Beltline on the other hand has several people in casual wear, hopping from Ponce City Market to various bars and restaurants right off the Beltline. Plus what I really love about The Beltline more so than Katy Trail is the energy there. Every now and then you'll see people performing or recording videos just really having a good time. Also the art on the beltline just adds to the vibe of the city that I just don't see Katy Trail matching.
Very great analysis. I think that’s what it was initially (Katy Trail), but it seems like it’s transitioning into more of a way to get around town. As of right now, the Katy Trail isn’t fully connected. Newer developments along the Katy Trail in Knox-Henderson and Uptown open directly on to the Katy Trail. Based on what I’ve seen in Dallas, it looks to be mirroring the development style (link includes a development U/C adjacent to the Katy Trail and Knox St) in Ponce City Market/Old Fourth Ward area.

Based on what I’ve heard from the people who are leading this effort, it sounds a lot like the BeltLine but without that transit component directly on the trail.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:15 PM

842 posts, read 458,363 times
I think the beltline does more to urbanize Atlanta than the loop does to urbanize Dallas. The thing with the beltline is that it’s just so much more than just a walking trail and it has crazy potential. The loop (anchored by the Katy Trail) looks nice though.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I think the beltline does more to urbanize Atlanta than the loop does to urbanize Dallas. The thing with the beltline is that it’s just so much more than just a walking trail and it has crazy potential. The loop (anchored by the Katy Trail) looks nice though.
I feel the same about Dallas in some areas that it connects. I guess it is relative to the city it serves.

SMU/Mockingbird Station (DART's 2nd busiest station and biggest TOD - Mockingbird Station mixed use development). More residential towers are planned for that area. It already has a Kroger store.

The Cedars - the area south of Downtown around the Old Sears Catalog Warehouse now Southside on Lamar. Ponce City Market was an old Sears Catalog Warehouse too (another similarity) but Dallas' was repurposed in the late 90s/early 2000s. The city is looking to increase development there, and the trail head for that area will be near where the recently restored Longhorn Ballroom is.

The Design District - This is areas has started to explode as well. New residential towers and other developments are occurring here too.

West Dallas and Oak Cliff - new Apartments and other developments are being planned in close proximity to the trail

I believe the other areas it goes through are meant to help spark further growth.

Edit: The Loop Map

The Atlanta BeltLine Map

Last edited by Dallaz; 08-08-2023 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: correction/addtional info

Old 08-08-2023, 05:43 AM

14,030 posts, read 15,045,659 times
I feel like the Loop is too big, the Beltline hits through Atlanta’s first ring so I think it’s more useful.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:18 AM

355 posts, read 469,756 times
Both the Belt Line and The Loop will continue to urbanize the respective areas, but I think Atlanta's project will be more impactful since it's focused more within the core. It has already made such significant impact.

Dallas needs to get the Trinity Project going since the Loop goes through many of the established neighborhoods, White Rock, and the forest. It'll be VERY nice if it's done properly.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I feel like the Loop is too big, the Beltline hits through Atlanta’s first ring so I think it’s more useful.
I can see how you feel that way. But since Dallas’ city limits are much larger than Atlanta’s, it seems reasonable to have a 50 mile loop. It connects to areas that people already frequent. White Rock Lake Park, being an example since it already has a 9 mile loop around the lake and draws over 1 million people per year. Other than Mockingbird Station, the Loop connects to DART’s Lawnview Station, 8th and Corinth Station, and Victory Park Station.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Both the Belt Line and The Loop will continue to urbanize the respective areas, but I think Atlanta's project will be more impactful since it's focused more within the core. It has already made such significant impact.

Dallas needs to get the Trinity Project going since the Loop goes through many of the established neighborhoods, White Rock, and the forest. It'll be VERY nice if it's done properly.
Yeah, hopefully they do get that going. They recently came out with a news story about gateways at the end of Commerce St and Ron Kirk Pedestrian Bridge a long the Trinity River (new plan). My brother recently moved to that area and they’re gentrifying the crap out of West Dallas right now. Even in the news story you can see the new apartments going up near the Skyline Trail. Future highrises mixed use developments are planned for that area too.

Additional Projects:

A Huge Chunk of West Dallas Now Belongs to a Nebraska Developer. The Community Wonders What Comes Next

$1 Billion West Dallas Development Will Have Thousands of Homes and a Lagoon

Future gateway area mentioned — Trinity River Project (Harold Simmons Park)

Commerce St

Dec 2022

Singleton Blvd near Ron Kirk Pedestrian Bridge

This is Beckley Ave in Oak Cliff (down the street from Commerce St in West Dallas) behind the Skyline Trail

Same goes for Oak Cliff as well. The Old Oak Farms Dairy site has a planned mixed use development there too. It’s right next to The Loop’s Skyline Trail and adjacent to the Dallas Streetcar. That’s why you see Bishop Arts listed as one of the places it connects to (on their website map). You can take the Dallas Streetcar right to Bishop Arts. Eventually, I’ll connect to the McKinney Ave Trolley in Uptown Dallas via the downtown streetcar link. Same can be said for the 8th and Corinth Station in Oak Cliff. The next stop is Dallas Zoo Station and it stops right in front of the Zoo’s main entrance. New Oak Cliff Deck Park is being built there and maybe a new draw with the Dallas Zoo already generating traffic. Developers have already bought up land around the area for redevelopment.

Last edited by Dallaz; 08-08-2023 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Typos / I need to get better at proof reading lol

Old 08-13-2023, 09:54 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,756 times
I lived in Atlanta from 2001 to 2011. I remember all the talk about the BeltLine when living there, and it had just started getting off the grown. I’ve been in metro Dallas ever since and had no idea the even had something similar. Although I think the Atlanta version seems a bit better, I’m just glad to hear we have something. I’ve heard the name “The Loop” before but never looked into it. With all that said, I think the Trinity Park project is more interesting, but that has been nothing but talk for decades I hear! They need to make that happen ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City