Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Suburban Smyrna of choice (Tennessee, Delaware, Georgia)
Smyrna, Tennessee 7 25.00%
Smyrna, Delaware 4 14.29%
Smyrna, Georgia 17 60.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 08:40 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,042 times

Advertisements

SMYRNA'S...// TENNESSEE, GEORGIA, DELAWARE, how do they compare/ differ?

All 3 are suburbs of a Major city. Smyrna, Tennessee is of Nashville. Smyrna, Georgia is of Atlanta and Smyrna, Delaware is in New castle / Kent county which is in the Philly / Wilmington MSA/CSA. How do the three Smyrna's match up?

Economy

Diversity

Population

Growth

Quality of life

Transportation

Commute times to city

Transportation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 08:53 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Calling Smyrna DE a suburb of Philly is pushing it a bit IMO. Obviously some of this comes down to which metro area you prefer. On paper Smyrna GA is the winner. It's a pretty prominent Atlanta suburb. It has The Battery Truist park and Home Depot HQ nearby. So it clearly wins in terms of economy. It's also close to most of the interesting areas in the ATL so it arguably wins in transportation and commute times to city. I believe it may win diversity as well, though all three are similar in that aspect. The rest of this list is a bit subjective. Smyrna DE is more rural and laid back, some people prefer that quality of life. Smyrna TN has been growing fast recently, some love it's location in between Nashville and Murfreesboro. My pick would ultimately be Smyrna GA. It offers the most overall IMO.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Calling Smyrna DE a suburb of Philly is pushing it a bit IMO. Obviously some of this comes down to which metro area you prefer. On paper Smyrna GA is the winner. It's a pretty prominent Atlanta suburb. It has The Battery Truist park and Home Depot HQ nearby. So it clearly wins in terms of economy. It's also close to most of the interesting areas in the ATL so it arguably wins in transportation and commute times to city. I believe it may win diversity as well, though all three are similar in that aspect. The rest of this list is a bit subjective. Smyrna DE is more rural and laid back, some people prefer that quality of life. Smyrna TN has been growing fast recently, some love it's location in between Nashville and Murfreesboro. My pick would ultimately be Smyrna GA. It offers the most overall IMO.
As far as Smyrna, DE being a true burb of Philly, I can agree on that scope. Maybe more of an exurb, that happens to be in the MSA/CSA. I must say though that Smyrna, TN economy is pretty strong with Nissan North America plant being based there, the Headquarters is in Franklin / Cool Springs area though another near by suburb. Asurion has a huge base there as well.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:32 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
As far as Smyrna, DE being a true burb of Philly, I can agree on that scope. Maybe more of an exurb, that happens to be in the MSA/CSA. I must say though that Smyrna, TN economy is pretty strong with Nissan North America plant being based there, the Headquarters is in Franklin / Cool Springs area though another near by suburb. Asurion has a huge base there as well.
Good point. Forgot about the Nissan plant in Smyrna TN.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:53 PM

1,375 posts, read 926,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
WCW's headquarters used to be in Smyrna, GA. You used to be able to see a bunch of wrestlers around Cobb county.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:43 AM

Smyrna, GA definitely has the best transit connections of the three with Cobblinc and Marta both having connections in the City. Nashville MTA/Wego has a RTA Smyrna/ La Vergne bus line but not very extensive. As big as Rutherford county is as a whole, it needs a massive transit overhaul just to connect with the city of Nashville period. Not to sure how extensive Dart is through out Smyrna, DE. Last time i was there, didn't seem very much.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:28 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
I picked the Delaware one. Cheap housing, low property taxes, near Philadelphia, new New York, near ocean, near mountains, near Washington. Checks a lot of boxes.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:12 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
I've not been to the DE Smyrna, and only passed through the TN one, so I can't give a complete answer.

But I can speak to Smyrna, GA. It certainly has its flaws, and it's not one of the gems of the ATL metro. Schools are still mediocre and there are still too many blighted parts for my personal liking. On the positive, it's quick to get into the city, and it has the Silver Comet bike trail.

It tends to be where many of my friends bought a starter home before kids. Then once they had kids and needed to care about schools, they moved further NE in the metro.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:02 PM

3,446 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Someone did just post on Facebook, how certain blocks of downtown Smyrna got sadly leveled decades ago, to widen US 41. I wish Smyrna, GA had opted to build a bypass to the east or west of that downtown, over tearing down those blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City