Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Santa Cruz, Destin, or Old Orchard Beach?
Santa Cruz, California 15 44.12%
Destin, Florida 13 38.24%
Old Orchard Beach, Maine 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM

204 posts, read 751,944 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know, this is another pool. But instead of being with 2 major cities, its with 3 beach towns. What would be your favorite of the 3 for vacationing and/or living.

I'll take Destin, because of the white sugar beaches, warm emerald waters, and eating hushpuppies and blackened grouper while viewing the emerald coast. Although Santa Cruz and OOB ar cool too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Destin, b/c you can actually swim in the water unlike Santa Cruz. SC gets pretty boring after about two days. Don't know anything about OOB, ME though.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:35 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Cool Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz [but I have never been to Destin or Old Orchard Beach - in-fact I have never been in Maine but very close by]. I chose Santa Cruz because of several qualities:
1] beautiful beaches [ie Sea Cliff\ Capitola\ Rio Del Mar] with great beach weather [much warmer than San Francisco\ Monterey]. I know from much experience that the water temps in the Monterey Bay are brutal [it would take at least 10 minutes trying to ease into barely 60F ocean temps - as kids we would stay in body surfing\ swimming for hours & come out blue
2] The boardwalk has the oldest wooden roller coaster in California [the Big Dipper] that immediately drops into darkness & then climbs so high you can see across the bay - great & historic coaster. Santa Cruz & San Francisco used to have fantastic old time Fun Houses with all the stuff you see in old "Little Rascals" movies. Now it's a miniature golf
3] Pacific Gardens is about 5 blocks of outdoor restaurants\book stores - super leftist\ great little shops. The Loma Prieta earthquake knocked down an old unique building but it was build right back as it was historically.
4] University of California - Santa Cruz campus sit's in the redwood foothills above Santa Cruz [Green Party haven
5] Santa Cruz is reliably radical in usual Northern California style The City Council was so angry over a federal raid on a marijuana farm that they held a "Smoke In" in the city courtyard - tobacco wasn't allowed.
6] Santa Cruz mts has the largest stand of redwoods in Central California w/ great little towns. Areas like Soqual\ Aptos\ Capitola sit on foothills overlooking the Pacific & can see Monterey [30 miles across the bay] because Santa Cruz faces south it is warmer than Monterey or even Salinas.
7] Great surf w/ a long tradition of surfing in California. Santa Cruz sued Huntington Beach for the title of "Surf City USA" but Huntington won. Steamer Lane allows one to watch surfers up close & waves can easily approach 20' in winter
8] California - Santa Cruz is right in the middle. Close to San Jose\ Bay Area. The drive up Highway 1 to San Francisco is magnificent w/ coves\beaches\steep cliffs. San Francisco is only an hour away. Santa Cruz is also close to the wineries in the Salinas Valley. Monterey\Carmel as just across the bay & Big Sur is an hour further down the most scenic coastline in California [where car commercials seem to be filmed every year]. Sierra Nevada are 3 hours east of Santa Cruz for skiing on slopes & in lakes & Yosemite\ Sequoia.
9] Great climate with mild summers\ 70's & winters\low 60. Sunny with morning clouds\fog.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I've been to SC and Destin, and both are great places. But if I'm looking for a place to relax with the family, then the Gulf Coast wins hands down.

OOB, I can't give an informed opinion.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:43 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,931 times
Well, I voted for Santa Cruz, because it's the only one of the three that I've actually been to (or head of for that matter). Santa Cruz is a really cool place, I used to spend a few weeks every summer there when my relatives had a house there. Natural Bridges state park is awesome, and while the water is cold, it's not that cold. You can certainly still swim in it, and there's always the Boardwalk.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:31 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,614 times
Santa Cruz

Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 AM
K90

17 posts, read 65,007 times
Santa Cruz (like pretty much all of Ca) is expensive as hell is all I can tell you.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
OOB is mostly a tourist destination, and a Canadian one at that. The natives rarely go there. I can't imagine living there year 'round.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:00 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Santa Cruz: it's a sweet town but I'm also voting for the greater collection of cities and wilderness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City