Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Pittsburgh 66 57.89%
Research Triangle 48 42.11%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:40 PM

345 posts, read 810,629 times

Advertisements

based on

nightlife
culture
shopping
dining
weather
scenery
outdoor activities
crime rate
economy
people
quality of life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 12:49 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
It would be an easy choice for the Triangle for me.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:39 PM

9,683 posts, read 9,398,464 times
nightlife-Raleigh
culture-Raleigh
shopping-Raleigh
dining-Raleigh
weather-Raleigh
scenery-Raleigh
outdoor activities-Raleigh
crime rate-Raleigh
economy-Raleigh
people-Raleigh
quality of life-Raleigh

I would choose Raleigh in a heartbeat.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:54 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I would choose Raleigh in a heartbeat.
Ironic since Raleigh is dead compared to Pittsburgh as far as character etc goes.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:59 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
nightlife- Pittsburgh
culture- Pittsburgh. The triangle sold its soul a while ago now.
shopping- I really have no idea because I never have lived in Pittsburgh, but I would assume Raleigh?
dining- Raleigh
weather- Raleigh
scenery- Pittsburgh. Idk how anyone could think central north carolina is very attractive, unless you think Tobacco fields are pretty lol..
outdoor activities- hm.. Pittsburgh is much much closer to appalachia, but I think I would rather be closer to the beach. NC beaches are tough to beat and you could always hit up asheville if you wanted to make the drive.
crime rate- No idea, would assume Raleigh is lower
economy- Raleigh
people- N/A good people everywhere, crappy people everywhere
quality of life- Depends on how I am feeling. If I had a family, I don't know how I would feel about public schools in NC.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:57 PM

539 posts, read 523,646 times
If you want character and real neighborhoods then Pittsburgh. North Carolina is nice but it's pretty cookie cutter compared to Pittsburgh

Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Cant you big city pennsylvanians vote for your cities without insults, it is not like pittsburgh and philadelphia like each other or even the majority of pennsylvanians love Philadelphia.

North carolina is not cookie cutter or without character by any means for anyone who has ever visited there, the outer banks and wrightsville and the gorgeous carolina beaches, asheville and the beautiful blue ridge parkway and the appalachian mountains, duke and nc state and beautiful chapel hill and wooded downtowns like raleigh. Come on, just vote for your city and tell us why you like it, no need for insults

Teams like the carolina panthers are doing alot better than the vaunted and historically great Steelers. UNC and Duke football and Duke/carolina basketball is always booming and on top of the acc and over pitt but lets keep the insults to a minimum

Last edited by floridanative10; 11-09-2015 at 10:27 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
Cant you big city pennsylvanians vote for your cities without insults...
But Raleigh is sterile and suburban compared to Pittsburgh, and central North Carolina isn't scenic compared to western Pennsylvania. Those aren't insults; those are facts. For that matter, Raleigh has the most decentralized urban area of any I've ever been to. Everything there is just scattered around randomly, and Research Triangle Park cuts Raleigh and Cary off from Durham and Chapel Hill. On the other hand, Pittsburgh is the center of everything in its urban area.

Quote:
...it is not like pittsburgh and philadelphia like each other or even the majority of pennsylvanians love Philadelphia.
Allegheny County and all the Pennsylvania counties of the Philadelphia metropolitan area are donor counties, so let the ungrateful bastards in Clearfield County and Huntingdon County ***** until the cows come home.

Quote:
North carolina is not cookie cutter or without character by any means for anyone who has ever visited there, the outer banks and wrightsville and the gorgeous carolina beaches, asheville and the beautiful blue ridge parkway and the appalachian mountains, duke and nc state and beautiful chapel hill and wooded downtowns like raleigh.
This isn't Pittsburgh versus the entire state of North Carolina; it's Pittsburgh versus Raleigh and vicinity. Wrightsville Beach and the Blue Ridge Parkway are as relevant to Raleigh as Presque Isle and the Pocono Mountains are to Pittsburgh. As for the college campuses, The University of North Carolina's was nice, but NC State's was kind of bland, and Duke's gave me a weird vibe, like it was in a secluded bubble.

Quote:
Teams like the carolina panthers are doing alot better than the vaunted and historically great Steelers.
Ben Roethlisberger missed four games this season with a sprained MCL, and is going to miss at least one more game with a sprained foot. Bruce Gradkowski, ordinarily the second-string QB, suffered a broken shoulder in the pre-season and was placed on injured reserve. The Steelers then signed Michael Vick to be the second-string QB, and he suffered a pulled hamstring last month. Landry Jones is about to start his second game this season despite being the third-string QB in normal circumstances. And I don't even know who's backing him up at this point. The Steelers also have to do without Le'Veon Bell for the rest of the season after he suffered a torn MCL last week. He and Roethlisberger were on the field together for all of 39 snaps this season. Then there's Maurkice Pouncey, who suffered a broken fibula in the pre-season and hasn't played a game yet, and Kelvin Beachum, who suffered a torn ACL last month and is gone for the season.

So that's three of the Steelers' four best players on offense, plus two backup QBs and a decent LT, who are all out with injuries. And that's just the offense we're talking about. On defense, Stephon Tuitt and Ryan Shazier have been their two best players this season, and both just returned from injuries to play this past weekend. Jarvis Jones and Will Allen have also been sidelined with injuries, and so has their backup NT, Daniel McCullers. Even the special teams haven't been immune, considering the Steelers are now on their fourth kicker. Shaun Suisham suffered a torn ACL to start the pre-season, so they signed Garrett Hartley, who pulled his hamstring to finish the pre-season. And nobody would have guessed that Josh Scobee would have the meltdown he did, considering he was always reliable for the Jaguars.

So how good would the Panthers be without three of their four best players on offense, and their kicker directly costing them at least one game? I'm sure they'd be 5-4, just like the Steelers are right now. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that the Steelers are 5-4 despite losing several of their best players to injuries is testament to how resilient they are. Injuries happen, but too many injuries to too many of a team's best players is incredibly difficult for any team to overcome. Congratulations to the Panthers for staying relatively healthy.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:48 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
It's a no-brainer for someone with my eclectic tastes in history, geography, food & culture & who prefers a city/metro with a real downtown & active urban heart. It's Pittsburgh all the way.
If you've never experienced the wonder of Pittsburgh, you may have a treat awaiting you!

Old 11-10-2015, 08:14 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Pittsburgh is an ultra cool city, so much more than Raleigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City