Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mid-Sized Southwest City is better?
Albuquerque 313 51.14%
Tucson 299 48.86%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyspameamil View Post
Well since you asked, I think Abq is on the same level as Juárez, Mexico, and Juárez is no where close to the same level as Tucson and El Paso.
Funny you say that, considering Tucson and El Paso sit nearly on the border.

Going based off your logic New York city sits on the same level as Baghdad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,577 times
Quote:
Well since you asked, I think Abq is on the same level as Juárez, Mexico, and Juárez is no where close to the same level as Tucson and El Paso.

The irony of that statement is incredible. Quite possibly the most ignorant statement I've read here, considering the two cities he's placing on a pedestal.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,899 times
Saying Tucson is on the same level as El Paso is ludicrous.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
They are both nice but Tucson is a bit bigger. I'm gonna say Tucson by a hair.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM

117 posts, read 160,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
I think Tucson is on the same level as El Paso, if you ask me, El Paso is no where close to the same level as Abq
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
Funny you say that, considering Tucson and El Paso sit nearly on the border.

Going based off your logic New York city sits on the same level as Baghdad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
The irony of that statement is incredible. Quite possibly the most ignorant statement I've read here, considering the two cities he's placing on a pedestal.
I hope you guys are picking up the sarcasm because I'm laying it on pretty thick.....maybe I should add more smileys maybe that would help. :think : there we go much better.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:16 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,823 times
Huh, I've been to both, and for "city life" I'd pick Tucson. But for nature and outdoorsy stuff to do, I'll take Albuquerque. Of the two the only DT I've visited was Albuquerque. It was on a saturday and was dead, completely dead. That shocked me, though it did have some nice shops and stuff. I just couldn't find anybody else walking around

Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,198 times
I would go ABQ without question. Tucson is like a "secondary" city to Phoenix, where ABQ is the main city in NM. The Saguaro desert is pretty and Tucson has warmer winters. But I think ABQ is a city much more "on the move". I like ABQ's access to Santa Fe & Toas, which are world renowned awesome places to get away to. New Mexico also just has a cool, unique funky vibe that I like too. I like the New Mexican culture. They call it the "Land of Enchantment" for a reason

Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Default Peer Cities

Do you all consider the fact that this poll is deadlocked even and the thread has over 500 posts (much higher than your average thread with a longer lifespan) because these two cities have so much in common? They both have close to 1 million metro, both are very quintesential Southwestern cities (food, character, layout, socioeconomics, ethnicities), both are primary college cities, both have desert valley settings adjacent to mountains. They're like siblings in a way with a few variations such as altitude, their roleplay in their respective states, and vegetation. One thing I'll give to Albuquerque is it will most likely grow bigger in decades to come. It's been under the radar all this time but its slowly but surely gaining more notoriety.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:39 PM

33 posts, read 70,356 times
Just wanted to say thanks for all the posts. I'm at work so can't read them until later but this post speaks to my question exactly. I live in Tucson but the 10 degrees or so cooler it seems to be right now in ABQ sounds mighty good and apparently a little bit of "winter" with some snow? I hate snow coming from Michigan (4 months a year ground covered) but I wouldn't mind a bit of the 4 seasons. My impression so far is that ABQ edges Tucson on in the nature area.

I'll read the thread tonight and maybe I can add a little good or bad on the Tucson side and hope to learn a great deal about the ABQ side.

Thanks for all your input!

Joel

Old 04-30-2012, 04:42 PM

171 posts, read 325,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Do you all consider the fact that this poll is deadlocked even and the thread has over 500 posts (much higher than your average thread with a longer lifespan) because these two cities have so much in common? They both have close to 1 million metro, both are very quintesential Southwestern cities (food, character, layout, socioeconomics, ethnicities), both are primary college cities, both have desert valley settings adjacent to mountains. They're like siblings in a way with a few variations such as altitude, their roleplay in their respective states, and vegetation. One thing I'll give to Albuquerque is it will most likely grow bigger in decades to come. It's been under the radar all this time but its slowly but surely gaining more notoriety.
I think they will BOTH grow bigger in decades to come. In fact, I believe that in some ways, Tucson is more under the radar than ABQ simply because it is often overshadowed by Phoenix, whereas ABQ is the primary city in NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City