Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The better winter weather?
Tampa, Florida 5 31.25%
Phoenix, AZ 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:43 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,026,745 times

Advertisements

I was just curious what the general consensus was on the winter weather in these two cities, say from roughly October to April.

I moved here to Phoenix from St. Petersburg, FL about 5 months ago. The weather is amazing this time of the year. You get these cool days in the low 70's but there isn't a cloud in the sky. Nighttime temps are in the mid 40's but it makes for good sleeping weather.

Of course the Tampa Bay area is know for it's great winter season too. Obviously it's more humid there (even in the winter). Their cool downs are precluded by rainy weather, then it's cool and drier, then then it warms up again, wait for another front, etc.

We'll, I'll spare you all the amateur meteorological lesson and let you decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 11:24 AM

5,003 posts, read 6,000,261 times
I think that Phoenix is going to get a little colder as we're technically not even in winter yet. Both are nice in winter, but if you like it warmer I think that Tampa is better. Both are great though!

Old 11-28-2013, 09:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,836,138 times
Well, Phoenix winters are great, and I love them. However, it will go from wearing a light sweater and feeling great to needing a coat and feeling cold really quickly. We have no humidity to keep it mild here. Once the sun is down, all warmth is gone. But you have experience in this. Nothing that really compares to this. And I like it cold.

With that being said, I haven't been to Florida in the winter time. I tend to like humidity in general so I'd probably like their winter better but frankly I can't say for sure. So, I'll vote Phoenix because I know it well.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,724,668 times
Phoenix is nearly hell on earth. Go with Tampa, it's on a nice big body of water.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Phoenix is nearly hell on earth. Go with Tampa, it's on a nice big body of water.
Hell, as in a hot place? Are you saying winter in Phoenix is hotter than a winter in Tampa? Weather.com is calling for a low in the 30's in a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Winters in Phoenix versus Tampa, FL-dec_temp.gif  

Old 11-30-2013, 06:54 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,605,130 times
In the 8 years I lived in Phoenix, the winters overall were extremely pleasant. When I say "winter in Phoenix", I'm referring to roughly Thanksgiving through St. Patrick's Day. Actually, it occasionally can get a little cold in Phoenix. Mainly late at night or early in the morning. I remember a few mornings when the temps dipped into the upper 20's, but it's very rare. Typically I was wearing t-shirts throughout the winters there. However, because Phoenix is so much drier than Tampa, there can be a big plunge in nighttime temps. Tampa is probably a bit warmer in the winter, but it's also more humid. I guess it all depends on whether you prefer your winters warm and dry, or warm and wet.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 PM

23,497 posts, read 44,167,340 times
Winter humidity in Tampa? There really is none to speak of, except for that related to the occasional rainstorm. It usually breaks about October and returns around February/March.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 PM

Here is a shot of the current conditions in St. Petersburg. It's 91 percent humidity right now. I recall many nights in November and December there, running my window AC unit just to dry out the air in my room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Winter humidity in Tampa? There really is none to speak of, except for that related to the occasional rainstorm. It usually breaks about October and returns around February/March.
Attached Thumbnails
Winters in Phoenix versus Tampa, FL-stpeteweather.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City