Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 PM

9 posts, read 65,610 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of information on the cities with the worst drug problems, but nothing that specifically covers the cities with the least drug use.

My wife and I both have families with history of heavy drug use and we are getting as far away from it as possible with a baby on the way.

We want to live in the city. Our dream would be to live in New York City. Problem is the amount of drug use among other things.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 10:10 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Salt Lake City.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:19 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Salt Lake City.
Au contraire. Just because they are more closeted about it doesn't mean it's not a problem there. Even within the LDS church. I've even seen a documentary about self proclaimed LDS drug gang members there that still attend church.
Lisa Ling: Inside Utah's struggle with drug abuse - CNN.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-4MSur-XEQ

Salt Lake City has the same divisive economic, drug, and crime issues as any other American city. Americans have a big appetite for drugs in pretty much every city large and small in every corner of the country.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:23 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGriffin View Post
There is a lot of information on the cities with the worst drug problems, but nothing that specifically covers the cities with the least drug use.

My wife and I both have families with history of heavy drug use and we are getting as far away from it as possible with a baby on the way.

We want to live in the city. Our dream would be to live in New York City. Problem is the amount of drug use among other things.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
As Desert insinuated, you're going to have a hard time pretty much anywhere. Drugs are widespread across the country, as this point, be it city, suburb or rural area.

How big does your city have to be?

Old 12-02-2014, 10:46 PM

Not that big. Just not suburbia.

There are lists for the worst states with drug problems. I just want the list that goes through all of the states from worst to best.

I have been searching everywhere for it.

This is the best representation I could find with maps:
15 Maps That Show How Americans Use Drugs - Business Insider

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like North Dakota has the least drug problems in the country.
So I guess Fargo, ND would be that choice

Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
^^ Fargo, ND is a big, big difference to New York City, though. If I may ask, what attracted you to NYC? Because if drug use is the only dealbreaker, that's a huge change to go from NYC to Fargo.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:50 PM

Maybe Des Moines, Iowa.

Omaha, Nebraska also looks pretty good.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
^^ Fargo, ND is a big, big difference to New York City, though. If I may ask, what attracted you to NYC? Because if drug use is the only dealbreaker, that's a huge change to go from NYC to Fargo.
We are both insomniacs. It would be nice to be able to do something in the middle of the night.
Where we currently live the Mcdonalds is the latest thing to close at night and that is at 10.

But it would be worth it to forfeit night life of any sort so that we could have a better area for our family.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:53 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,157 times
San Francisco, CA

drugs are everywhere, what a pointless thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:40 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
You will not be able to find a place that is drug free. I think it's far more important to have an open and healthy dialogue with your children about drugs and alcohol from a very early age, regardless of where you live. My mother was always very "anti-alcohol." We never had alcohol in our house. When my siblings and I came of age and began drinking, she was very angry and critical of us. It wasn't until I was well into adulthood that I knew the reason why: My grandfather and several uncles were alcoholics -- a fact that was kept far from us as children. Turns out, like most all families, we have a history of addiction. Had I known this earlier, it no doubt would have affected my attitudes and opinions of drugs and alcohol during my formative years. Unfortunately, I had to find out the hard way. Don't make the same mistake with your kids.

But let me also add this: You are obviously very young and want the best for your coming child, as all parents do. But prepare yourself for the inevitable fact that you cannot, and will not, be able to control your child's actions and decisions throughout their lifetime. Your child will make mistakes, and your child will disappoint you. Prepare yourself now to have a healthy, embracing relationship with your child that's based on unconditional love. I firmly believe that the groundwork laid in the early years sets the stage for the relationship you'll have with your children the rest of your life. If your child knows that they are loved, and can come to you for help and to discuss any issue or crisis that comes their way -- including the temptation to use drugs and alcohol -- then you're 90 percent there. A healthy, loving relationship is more important than anything, IMO.

Last edited by Newsboy; 12-03-2014 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City