Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 PM

645 posts, read 1,452,274 times

Advertisements

to relocate too during this awful recession? I'm currently in the DC area. I would like to relocate, but not sure which city will have a better opportunity for me. I lost my job back in January, and I"m still unemployed. I'm 29, and don't have any children. Currently collecting unemployment, but I do no want to stay on unemployment too long. I have some money saved up, but if I do relocate, it will be just me myself and I. Problem is everyone is saying that DC have alot of jobs, which is a fib because we don't have many jobs here suprisingly. Most govts jobs won't call you back until many months or a year later or even period. I am really just tired of not having a job. Anyhow, which city would be better to relocate too(Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston, in your opinion. There is something special about each one of these cities.

Help me out or give me some insight.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 03:44 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Well even though Houston and other Texas cities have fared better compared with other cities, there are still alot of unemployed people in Texas, believe me I know one personally. I would just stay where you are if you got family nearby who could assist you or employment contacts. However it can't hurt to post resumes on monster for job postings in the area if you really do decide to relocate.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
DALLAS !

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/2463/4321wlawtherdrive.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-26-2010, 03:49 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
DALLAS !

You're pictures never cease to amaze me how beautiful Dallas can truly be.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:49 PM

213 posts, read 421,269 times
Those pictures sure look like the pictures that are in ALL THE DALLAS HOUSTON ATLANTA threads!!!!!!

There all equal and play there own roles in the USA. There are 20 thousands with these 3 cities we dont need a blood bath debate on here

Old 05-26-2010, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 18,285 times
All 3 cities are extremely nice and you could not go wrong with any of them. There is better public t in Atlanta (MARTA) but Houston and Dallas are both trying to improve and expand theirs

Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
to relocate too during this awful recession? I'm currently in the DC area. I would like to relocate, but not sure which city will have a better opportunity for me. I lost my job back in January, and I"m still unemployed. I'm 29, and don't have any children. Currently collecting unemployment, but I do no want to stay on unemployment too long. I have some money saved up, but if I do relocate, it will be just me myself and I. Problem is everyone is saying that DC have alot of jobs, which is a fib because we don't have many jobs here suprisingly. Most govts jobs won't call you back until many months or a year later or even period. I am really just tired of not having a job. Anyhow, which city would be better to relocate too(Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston, in your opinion. There is something special about each one of these cities.

Help me out or give me some insight.

Thanks
It would probably be good to know what your profession is currently?

If you're thinking about another government job, Atlanta has the largest number of federal agencies outside Washington D.C....plus it's the Georgia state capital...and the seat of Fulton County - so you have tons of city, county, state, and federal employment in the city. But keep in mind that they are all in the midst of painful budget cuts, so it won't be easy to find a job in that sector.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 PM

50 posts, read 129,825 times
We live in Atlanta and are looking to relocate to Houston. I don't know what to say about Dallas. Job wise, and housing wise I do think that Houston is a stronger city than Atlanta. The housing has not been hit as hard and I know people here in Atlanta that could not get jobs here and applied to jobs in Houston and got several call backs and interviews. Good luck.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Beautiful shot even if it is of the parched North Texas prairie Dallas skyline backdrop.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 AM

645 posts, read 1,452,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It would probably be good to know what your profession is currently?

If you're thinking about another government job, Atlanta has the largest number of federal agencies outside Washington D.C....plus it's the Georgia state capital...and the seat of Fulton County - so you have tons of city, county, state, and federal employment in the city. But keep in mind that they are all in the midst of painful budget cuts, so it won't be easy to find a job in that sector.
Financial industry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City