Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 PM

25 posts, read 120,342 times

Advertisements

I'm from Aurora, Colorado and now I'm in Irving, Texas, I'm considering moving to the Seattle area in particular Everett or maybe giving Dallas a chance or just going back to Colorado. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the cities in question, on things like traffic vs. public transit. I don't drive so which would be easier for me to get around without a car. What the glbt and other alternative life style communities are like? What city is it easier to get an entry level job? Which has less crime/ feels safer, has a lower cost of living for a first time apartment renter, which has better health care services and the like? And just which would offer more for an up and coming twenty something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 PM

704 posts, read 1,793,272 times
Seattle

I think that, especially their suburban areas, Denver and Dallas are not at all what you're looking for--much less "alternative lifestyle" and much more cookie-cutter, traditional, middle-America. They do, however, have decent (relatively speaking) job markets and more affordable housing.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
It's funny, Chicago has a vibrant lbgt scene and also has a suburb called Aurora ... so initially I responded Chicago, but then I noticed it was Dallas. My bad.

Seattle has decent public transport in the city and if you plan it right you can get around in Everett. Everett is much more car dependent than Seattle. There are bus lines going between the cities and if you get up early enough in the morning there's a bus line with I think 6 runs in the morning, and 6 return times in the afternoon. That's the killer ... if you work at Boeing, or want to go from Seattle to Everett in the morning, you have to get up at the crack of dawn or earlier.

Within Seattle though, it is no problem whatsoever.

Seattle has a vibrant lbgt scene and the area is very accepting of that lifestyle. It's very "don't care" more than anything else really. I have yet to experience homophobia or xenophobia of any sort out here.

Denver, too, is very accepting, but its suburbs are another story, or so I've heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City